Coursera Friends discussion

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jute (new)

Jute | 139 comments Mod
Here's one for the Poetry class.

message 2: by Xiri (new)

Xiri | 187 comments Mod
So, if anyone else is taking this: how are the poets and their poems so far?

What is your background in poetry, if any at all?

Any favorites?

Al is "awesome". I may not always agree with him (same about F&SF, mostly due to facts about texts), but then I have always been awful at poetry - again, if it was not for him... I claim his reading of the Dickinson's poem in the intro for the Chapter 1 kinda opened my eyes on how to read it :)

By the way, the course has its own YouTube channel.

http://www.youtube.com/user/modpopenn...

message 3: by Jute (new)

Jute | 139 comments Mod
How do you audit a class?

I really fail at poetry but I'd love to learn more about it.

message 4: by Xiri (new)

Xiri | 187 comments Mod
To me auditing is pretty much not doing the assignments or not caring for the grades :)

message 5: by Jute (new)

Jute | 139 comments Mod
Xiri wrote: "To me auditing is pretty much not doing the assignments or not caring for the grades :)"

hahaha

But there isn't any 'official' audit? I like your style!

message 6: by Xiri (new)

Xiri | 187 comments Mod
Well, Internet History instructor said something very alike about F & SF course ;)

message 7: by Xiri (new)

Xiri | 187 comments Mod
Oh, stumbled upon this during reading a link shared on the forums - the page was often linked at for particular poems, but its Learning Lab and related pages might be very worthy for anyone interested in learning about poetry :)

message 8: by Jute (new)

Jute | 139 comments Mod
Okay... I broke down and signed up for this one!

I am sure I'm going to need help.

message 9: by Xiri (new)

Xiri | 187 comments Mod
Me too, so... let's join in that :)

message 10: by Xiri (new)

Xiri | 187 comments Mod
Hey, how is it going so far?

message 11: by Jute (new)

Jute | 139 comments Mod
Not so good..I have to catch up on the videos and I haven't had a chance to do that with the other classes. I'm hoping to do some of that today.

How about for you?

message 12: by Xiri (new)

Xiri | 187 comments Mod
Well, now listening to Cryptography one - which I am taking a second time - and still tying to catch up. Submitted my essay, but have yet to review others :(

My goal is to catch up with all even if that means no sleep - arrg.

message 13: by Xiri (new)

Xiri | 187 comments Mod
Ok, so I'm done with grading the essays, and it was certainly fun and interesting. Now catching up with the Week 3's readings and more - gulp!

message 14: by Jute (new)

Jute | 139 comments Mod
I have finished my other classes so I can start on Poetry!

message 15: by Xiri (new)

Xiri | 187 comments Mod
Jute wrote: "I have finished my other classes so I can start on Poetry!"

Yay! Be sure to check out the live webcasts :) They're long, but really worth a watch.

message 16: by Xiri (new)

Xiri | 187 comments Mod
Must confess the "modernist" aspect is the toughest to me, since I tend to prefer far more traditional art :-s Yet I happen to enjoy certain Postmodernist authors - go figure! Danged if I understand collages and stuff... *sigh*

message 17: by Jute (new)

Jute | 139 comments Mod
Xiri wrote: "Must confess the "modernist" aspect is the toughest to me, since I tend to prefer far more traditional art :-s Yet I happen to enjoy certain Postmodernist authors - go figure! Danged if I understan..."

I am like you on this... I really do prefer more traditional art. I understand that Jackson Pollock is considered a genius and I'm a cretin for thinking that it looks like someone let a 3 year old loose with paint....

message 18: by Xiri (new)

Xiri | 187 comments Mod
Pollock is much closer to my understanding than say the Fountain :-s How are the poems for you? Most of them to me are mostly prose-like. I loved some of them, do not get me wrong, but certainly not all.

message 19: by Xiri (new)

Xiri | 187 comments Mod
I am really having the issue with the "found text" poem and other such concepts. I do like the intertextuality, but after having taken the "Listening to World Music", it's even more problematic to me, though I'm kinda aware now of how plagiarism works - heck, most of my own fan-fics could be easily called such since I reuse ideas found elsewhere and so on.

But the readymades, and the anti-art... and the fact that the text is built from someone's else's passages or quotes solely... just like the music - where Madonna had sampled a certain motif from another artist who had sampled it to celebrate his so-called shared African-American heritage - without attributing the pygmies culture it was taken from. Or "Graceland", which was not collaborated at all.

message 20: by Xiri (new)

Xiri | 187 comments Mod
I think I am finally sold for William Carlos Williams - his imagist work was a something I liked more than his so-called "Whitmanianism", but what I'd call "Futuristic" modernism in the "The Rose is obsolete" and "Portrait of Lady" is totally lovely to me :)

I guess it would be interesting to compare him to say Kazys Binkis, who was a part of somewhat modernist school based on Russian futurism and co... "Keturi vėjai", or "The Four Winds", as they called themselves. Our poetry historically had more Romantic / Symbolic influences, which is my personal preference.

Gertrude Stein will be next, oh my...

message 21: by Xiri (new)

Xiri | 187 comments Mod
Must confess I actually began digging Stein! And the extremists, too, oh my. Now as far as essay goes, no luck yet, though I think I can see what I should be writing about :-s

message 22: by Xiri (new)

Xiri | 187 comments Mod
Finally submitted the essay, now back to other stuff :) Seriously loved working on this one.

message 23: by Xiri (new)

Xiri | 187 comments Mod
Loving Week 5 so far (finally almost caught up with that!), except for Frost's "Mending Wall" - could not stand it. Can't wait for the Beats and co to catch up with :)

message 24: by Jute (new)

Jute | 139 comments Mod
Xiri wrote: "Loving Week 5 so far (finally almost caught up with that!), except for Frost's "Mending Wall" - could not stand it. Can't wait for the Beats and co to catch up with :)"

I am so far behind I don't see how I'll ever catch up

message 25: by Xiri (new)

Xiri | 187 comments Mod
Jute wrote: "Xiri wrote: "Loving Week 5 so far (finally almost caught up with that!), except for Frost's "Mending Wall" - could not stand it. Can't wait for the Beats and co to catch up with :)"

I am so far be..."

Just read on your own pace. I am feeling the same about Mythology :-s