The Sword and Laser discussion

A Deepness in the Sky (Zones of Thought, #2)
This topic is about A Deepness in the Sky
How Twit's chat room and DARPA advancements might turn out a la Vernor Vinge

Comments (showing 1-3 of 3) (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Halbot42 (last edited Sep 19, 2012 11:05AM) (new)

Halbot42 | 185 comments So this novel features two different paths for the future of humanity. The Qheng Ho are pretty much the normal interstellar traders, but the other tribe whose name I forget atm utilize a computer network that also features highly skilled operators interacting with the machines to greatly enhance their information gathering abilities. I was reminded of this the other day while watcing TWIT when hosts were tossing questions off to the chat room mid show with total confidence that it would come back with the correct answer. Then i read this piece about how DARPA is developing a camera interface that grabs images from the battlefield and relays them at high speed to a human operator wearing a special EEG type helmet that monitors for a certain response in the brain that indicates importance, crazily this can happen faster than the operator can actively look at each image.
http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/13...
Not sure what my point is other than suggesting the book, but where else can i talk bout this kind of cool synchronicity.

message 2: by Tim (new)

Tim (ZeroGain) | 93 comments I'll have to check that out. A while back we read and argued about Peter Watts' Blindsight. The idea there that the conscious mind is a hindrance rings true with that helmet idea.

message 3: by Charlie (new)

Charlie | 46 comments Saw this DARPA project as well. When I was in the Navy 2000-2004 we were told of how this would be applied to drone strikes. Impressive tech.