Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1) Vampire Academy discussion

Guardians...Stupid?

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by S.L.J. (last edited Oct 02, 2012 01:35PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

S.L.J. Am I the only one that thinks guardians are kinda stupid? Not just the way they live but their tactics, the way they think etc. It just seems very medicore when compared to something like Special Forces or Marines or SAS.

They seem to just make endless mistakes. They patrol St. Vlads all the time and yet they never noticed the Mana group torturing people next to the wards, which they apprently check regularly. Three teenagers were able to infultrate their maximum security prision and break Vickor out without much trouble. Then they managed to get into a hotel that was holding the Alchimests and break into Court in LS just by using spirit to make them seem a little blurry?

I think I would be a little cautious around a walking mirage but Guardians apprently just dismiss it.

Is it me, or do the guardians kinda suck at their jobs?

Angie Elle I don't think they are stupid. I think there is a lot about their world that they don't know, and it hinders them from being able to protect the way they are supposed to.

Ruby Jo I don't think they're stupid. First, dhampirs they're treated like servants, given that they're not "full" vampires. The only thing they can actually do is choose between becoming guardians or blood whores. And for a little while it seemed as if even that choice would be taken away from them.

Second, they're not well informed. Remember in Vampire Academy right at the beginning, when Dimitri tells Kirova that Rose and Lissa had a bond. He says "only the best guardians had that bond in the stories" or something like that. They didn't know about Spirit and about how they should be shadow kissed to have that bond.

Also, you are correct, they should've protected the prison better, since it was full of criminals. But I believe they didn't even consider the fact that someone, especially other guardians and a Moroi, would want to break in. And another thing, the location of the prison always changed.

Another thing, only guardians know about Alchemists. No other dhampir knows about them and at this moment I can't remember if most Moroi know about them (thoug I remember in Last Sacrifice when Rose and the others went to meet Jill and her parents had no idea what Alchemists were). Guardians are not stupid, they're just kept in the dark.

S.L.J. Rubysbooks wrote: "I don't think they're stupid. First, dhampirs they're treated like servants, given that they're not "full" vampires. The only thing they can actually do is choose between becoming guardians or bloo..."

I don't remember spirit affecting CCTV cameras. Yet Rose and Lissa managed to move through the prision without much of a problem.

(view spoiler)

In SB it's said that the Guardians immediatley spotted a broken light bulb in a street lamp, but they had no idea that students were using magic to torture other students on school grounds in SK? Really?

That's like grabbing an umbrella because you can see it's raining but not noticing the flash flood that's happening 50 feet away.

They're very inconsistant.

Gabby Yeah. they're a bit weird. and i hate that if you don't become a guardian (Talking from a characters point of view) You are instantly considered a 'blood whore.' what's with that?

Lilliana Anderson Gabby wrote: "Yeah. they're a bit weird. and i hate that if you don't become a guardian (Talking from a characters point of view) You are instantly considered a 'blood whore.' what's with that?"

because the only way you can have children is to 'mate' with a Moroi and as drinking blood is in their nature then the dots tend to get joined together I think.

SLJ you make some very valid points, I did find it a little on the fantastic side at times but what book/movie/tv show with a teenage heroine isn't a little far fetched? I rolled my eyes more at how willing they were to point the finger at Rose when she is supposedly the best Dhamphir out there. Why weren't more moroi trying to get her on their detail? As if they wouldn't want a kick ass stigoi killer watching over them despite her attitude or her relationship with Lissa. That was my big WHAT?

Gabby Lilliana wrote: "Gabby wrote: "Yeah. they're a bit weird. and i hate that if you don't become a guardian (Talking from a characters point of view) You are instantly considered a 'blood whore.' what's with that?"

b..."

Yeah. I still think that it's a bit unfair.

S.L.J. Yeah, sucks to be them. Still, I think they could do with taking a few pointers from human military training. Navy SEALS and other spec ops units are put through hell on earth during their training. Guardians have it easy compared to them.

message 9: by S.L.J. (last edited Oct 02, 2012 01:45PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

S.L.J. Just remembered this one:.

Quote from Spirit Bound:

"And Seattle again," I mused, just before the plane took off. The little jet's interior had a set of four seats, two on each side facing each other. I sat next to Victor, and Eddie sat across from him. We figured that was the best protective configuration.

I'm sorry? 'Protective configuration' inside a private jet, 30,000 feet up? What's he going to do, blast open the exit door and jump? There is only about a tonne of pressure on an exit door at that altitude but I'm sure a frail old man would be able to open it. And maybe he'd even got a parachute under his seat or maybe he'd just use his earth magic to make him fly?

Are these guys stoned?

Jessika Okay, yeah. He won't jump, but they're doing their jobs, like a guardian should. May I remind you. and yes maybe they don't pay much attention to many things.but they are doing what they were trained to do!

message 11: by Vem (new) - rated it 5 stars

Vem Night i really disagree about them being stupid... period

Jessika Vem wrote: "i really disagree about them being stupid... period"

i agree with you. Like i said only doing their jobs!

message 13: by Abby (last edited Mar 22, 2013 04:36AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Abby  Rose If you're a royal vampire in constant danger of a strigoi attack would you rather
a) be left to fend for yourself, even though you were never trained for combat
or
b) have a highly trained, armed and dangerous guardian.

Choose wisely ^.~

(and no, this is not me having a dig. Sure its a bit smart ass but yeah, your choice)

Iesha (In east shade house at...) I liked that answer Abby-I would choose B naturally.

S.L.J. Oh, come on. Guardians wouldn't last 2 seconds against say...err, a Delta Force soldier or a Spetsnaz sniper. They kill a dozen guardians from 600 yards away before they could even pull out their stakes.