What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. Children's Book about a Crow and a Scarecrow

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Daetur (new)

Daetur | 1 comments I'm trying to remember the name of a book I read when I was a child, in, I believe, the early 1990s-- I wouldn't expect this book to be any younger than 1995-2000.

In the book, a crow "befriends" a scarecrow, though the scarecrow isn't sentient. The crow hides in the scarecrow's coat, while trying to find food and he steals pies from the farmer. The farmer tries to chase the crow away and ends up hitting the scarecrow with a shovel (or something), and it rips the scarecrow's face so that he is frowning. The crow is very upset, but the scarecrow gets fixed and everything's ok in the end, as it usually goes in children's books.

Thanks for your help!

message 2: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Brien | 151 comments This sounds charming, are you still looking for it? Was it a picture book?

message 3: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2322 comments I'm confused; you read it in the early 1990s? And it's not any younger than the late 1990s??

message 4: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35128 comments Mod
"The Crow Who Came to Stay" by Judy Varga? Here's the description on Worldcat.org:

"A crow who prefers cherry pie to corn and is friendly with the scarecrow helps the farmer protect his corn crop and is invited to remain permanently."

http://www.amazon.com/The-crow-who-ca...

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39280 comments Mod
Daetur, are you still looking for this or was it Kris's suggestion?

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39280 comments Mod
Lobstergirl wrote: "Daetur, are you still looking for this or was it Kris's suggestion?"

No response in 3 years. Moving to Abandoned.