The Random World of Reading discussion

Socrates In Love
This topic is about Socrates In Love
Manga Talk > Socrates in Love by Kyoichi Katayama

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Staring a discussion topic on this. I haven't currently read it but just give me a couple days and I'll be all over it! :)

message 2: by Lauren (new)

Lauren The story was really heartfelt! I thought Kyoichi Katayama did a really good job expressing the feelings of Sakutaro after Aki was gone. I liked that it wasn't just a quick love at first sight romance but it developed over time leaving Sakutaro with an everlasting love. Even though it is predictible in the overall outcome the story explains so much more about a person's character and feelings of loss.

message 3: by emily_oriley (new)

emily_oriley | 155 comments Wait, are we talking book or manga? 'Cause I have both.

message 4: by Lauren (new)

Lauren emily_oriley wrote: "Wait, are we talking book or manga? 'Cause I have both."

I was talking about the manga, I read the book too though when I realized there was one aka when I got very confused about the book version I selected for the group instead of the manga version.

message 5: by emily_oriley (new)

emily_oriley | 155 comments Lauren wrote: "emily_oriley wrote: "Wait, are we talking book or manga? 'Cause I have both."

I was talking about the manga, I read the book too though when I realized there was one aka when I got very confused a..."

Oki doki.

message 6: by emily_oriley (new)

emily_oriley | 155 comments I read the book first then the manga and you know what, even though I knew what was gonna happen, I still cried like a little girly girl. I re-read it about once a year and I STILL cry.

The thing I liked about the story is though you already know what's going to happen, the author still portrays the story in a way that when Sakutaro and Aki are at the train station, you're still rooting them on and during the final scene in the hospital you're using up fourteen rolls of toilet paper blowing your nose while your husband is trapped in the bathroom in an awkward situation (let's just pretend this is an exaggeration >.> )

Though I prefer the book, there is one thing about the manga that I wished had been in the book. On the island, Aki and Sakutaro did not "get together" but in the manga they did and I was happy.

And as a very amateur manga artist myself, I like art that isn't perfect. I read Kaori Yuki or Arina Tanamura and I feel like stabbing myself with my very expensive Copic markers v.v

Now, Japan, this is for you. Where's my movie? You made Kamakazi Girls, Kimi ni Todoke and Sand Chronicles but not Socrates?! Get on it! *does I'm watching you sign* T.T

message 7: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa Mae | 9 comments I read this manga a long time ago and I still remember how much I cried. I still read this from time to time. AI haven't read the book though, I will need to look that up for sure.