Mount TBR Reading Challenge 2012 discussion

Quarterly Checkpoints > Mount TBR September Checkpoint

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bev (new)

Bev | 214 comments Mod
Wow. The year is just about three-quarters done and it's time for Mountaineering Checkpoint #3. Where does the time go? I'm ready to hear how all our mountain-climbing buddies are doing out there on Pike's Peak, Mt. Ararat, Mt. Everest....whichever peak you've chosen. Checkpoint participation is absolutely voluntary and is not considered necessary for challenge completion.

For those who would like to participate in this checkpoint post, I'd like you to do two things:
1. Tell us how many miles you've made it up your mountain (# of books read). If you're really ambitious, you can do some intricate math and figure out how the number of books you've read correlates to actual miles up Pike's Peak, Mt. Ararat, etc. And feel free to tell us about any particularly exciting adventures you've had along the way.

2. Complete ONE (or more if you like) of the following:
A. Using any number of titles from your conquered list, compose a poem. You may add extra words, if needed, up to the number of titles used. There were a few brave souls who gave this a try last time. I'd love to see what might happen on this round.

B. Looking ahead to next year's challenge: Is there a level that you'd like to see added (maybe a 30 or 35 level or some other number in between our current mountain peaks)? If so, give me a suggestion and the name of a mountain peak and I'll think about switching things up a bit next year.

C. Have any of the books you read surprised you--if so, in what way (not as good as anticipated? unexpected ending? Best thing you've read all year? Etc.)

And what do you get for all that hard work (and distraction from the actual climb)? The Checkpoint will close at 11:59 pm on Sunday, September 30. On Monday I will crank up the Custom Random Number Generator and pick a winning climber. He or she will have the chance to add to their TBR stack via my gently-used book vault (prize list will be sent). Just think, if you win a book you can start up a pile for next year's Mount TBR Challenge.

Even if you're not in the mood for a prize or if you've only got one leg of the journey under your belt, I'd love to have you check in and tell us how your climb is going!

***Please note--comments are for Checkpoint posts only. Comments that are not Checkpoint-specific will be removed--to make it easier for me to track a winner.

Comment below with your Checkpoint post.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

In the middle of July, I reached my initial goal - Mt. Ararat and moved up to Mt. Kilimanjaro.

I've finished 48 books from my TBR pile (prior January 1st 2012) :)

Jeannette, Dawn and I had lengthy discussion about classic books - Wuthering Heights especially, but also about Jane Austen. That was fun!

A suggestion: In my opinion, the gap between Mt. Kilimanjaro and El Toro is perhaps a bit too wide - from 50 to 75. Because we have Mt. Ararat with its proud 40, maybe we could move up Mt. Kilimanjaro to 55 or 60. I haven't been able to find a mountain whose elevation is between the one of Mt. Ararat and El Toro.

The best books I've read for this challenge are books from Uglies series (Uglies, Pretties, Specials and Extras). I wasn't sure I was going to like them 'cause people seemed torn on this series. Oh, and Amy and Roger's Epic Detour was an incredibly cool book as well! The first 50-ish pages were dragging, so I feared the worst, but it got better and better exponentially.

Here is my poem:

Blameless?
This world we live in,
the gathering of envy,
all becoming changeless extras,
all losing faith

in perfect harmony
in heaven and earth

left is ghost town.

Spare nineteen minutes
remember lessons from a dead girl
for our reunion in death.

Books used in the poem: Blameless, This World We Live In, The Gathering, Envy, Changeless, Extras, Losing Faith, Perfect Harmony, Heaven and Earth, Ghost Town, Nineteen Minutes, Lessons from a Dead Girl and Reunion in Death

message 3: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) I'm up to 97. I was surprised that I liked James Joyce's poems as much as I did.

Here's my feeble poem attempt.

A History of the World in 100 Objects offers

A Troll's Eye View of an

Arctic Chill and The Draining Lake.

Death Comes to Pemberley and offers

The Red Tent to

The Veiled One and the Bridesmaid.

The Glass Devil reveals the Live Flesh beneath.

Books used: A History of the World in 100 Objects, Troll's Eye View: A Book of Villainous Tales, Arctic Chill, The Draining Lake, Death Comes to Pemberley, The Red Tent, The Veiled One, The Bridesmaid, Glass Devil, and Live Flesh.

message 4: by Julia (new)

Julia (mizzelle) | 23 comments Books in this quarter:
1. Crewel World
2. Framed in Lace
3. Sorcery & Cecilia
4. Black Widow: Name of the Rose

1. It is September and I can almost see the the top of Pike's Peak from the trail. I am one book away from my goal and I have a TBR book within shooting distance of finishing this week, if I push myself. That has been the hardest part of this challenge has been that last distance. It's three months before the end and I feel like I'm stuck in between camps.

2b. I would definitely sign up for next year, although I'm not sure whether I'd be up to tackling Mt Vancouver or not. I surprised myself by going past my Goodreads reading challenge goal of 30 books (I'm at 36 now!), so it's possible? It's so hard to stay away from the new shiny.

2c. The surprising book would be Sorcery & Cecilia. I've never been a big fan of the Regency period, but I could not put that down. The characters' voices were so witty I could hear them very clearly when I was reading it. (I now have some Heyer on my new TBR shelves so I imagine that'll be part of next year's climb.)

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

By the end of June, I had already finished 8/12 for Pike’s Peak, so I only just squeaked by this quarter by reading A Very Merry Chase, a book that has been on my Kindle for 2 years. I had a long chat with the author of this book, and I learned some slang from the period.

Otherwise, I had quite a few interesting buddy-reads with members of the group, including chatting with Bev about Sense and Sensibility, chatting with E. and Dawn, reading A Handful of Dust with Margaret, and reading The Hunger Games.

For next year I plan to conquer Pike’s Peak, again! I have been stockpiling Kindle freebies this year, so I may get up to a higher altitude, if I don’t let reviews from my GR buddies pull me away.

message 6: by Geevee (last edited Sep 20, 2012 12:39PM) (new)

Geevee I have now read 17 of my planned 25 so making good progress, although I have found myself distracted by side paths: library books.

My favourite reads this quarter was England's Dreaming: Anarchy, Sex Pistols, Punk Rock, and Beyond, which provided a real insight into the lead up to Maclaren and Westwood's shop, the fashion and music that drove the formation of the Pistols and the group's rise and fall.

The other was A Tale of Two Cities which I enjoyed but was made far more pleasurable through my first ever group read.

I have enjoyed this group and will plump for Mt. Vancouver again as it means I can drift of and read library books too.

As for poem (with apologies to real poets):

A Quiet Canadian mused of Streets paved with Gold
All Hell Let Loose were of horrors untold

England's Dreaming spoke of The "Sex Pistols" and Punk Rock
While the Popes meanwhile should have stood in the dock (law court)

The Black Death killed thousands in young or old age
Mr Briggs' Hat was found in a railway carriage

Joesph Goebbels a man of evil in extreme
The exploration of Mars remains mans dream

Wildfire Loose saw Maine burn in a week
Streets Paved with Gold helped the poor, mild and meek

Wavell a General and statesman but also a poet
Harold Larwood the best bowler in 1930s world cricket

The Spitfire helped win the Battle of Britain
While Broadmoor Revealed victorian mental pain

NB: All books can be seen in my post 1 on Geevee's 2012 Challenge in Mount Vancouver.

message 7: by Sera (new)

Sera I have read 20 out of my 25, which I should be able to meet. My personal challenge is 30, which may be a bit more difficult.

One thought that I had was instead of focusing on a number of specific books to read for each mountain to switch to ranges over a certain amount like 30-40, 60-70 or something along those lines. Some of the gaps between mountains are large so overall, my thought is that giving more options in whatever form may make it easier for folks to keep moving up to a higher mountain.

The buddy read feature has been great in regard to this group, too. I'm enjoying reading books with people who I have recently had the pleasure of knowing on GR.

I was surprised with how much I enjoyed The Name of the Rose. The Beautiful and Damned led to a renewed desire for me to read F. Scott Fitzgerald's works, and Cannery Row deepened my love of John Steinbeck's writing and storytelling ability. I'm looking forward to reading Vanity Fair with some of the Mt. TBR gang in November.

message 8: by MichelleCH (new)

MichelleCH (lalatina) Hello!!! Yeah for check-ins. I have read 10 of the 12 books or approximately 11,714 feet up Pike's Peak. Lots of nice distractions including my current read The Crimson Petal and the White.

The best adventures along the way is in meeting some really awesome friends (hi Hayes, Jeanette and Willowfaerie...etc.) and learning more about others(Misfit, Sera, ..)

For next year, I would like to challenge myself further, especially as I am constantly adding more books to my shelves at home. And now that I have discovered Audible, well, you know.

Ditto to Sera's comments about buddy-reads. Lots of good conversation going on in Mt. TBR!

Thank you again Bev for the challenge.

message 9: by MichelleCH (new)

MichelleCH (lalatina) Geevee wrote: "I have now read 17 of my planned 25 so making good progress, although I have found myself distracted by side paths: library books.

My favourite reads this quarter was England's Dreaming: Anarchy, ..."

Nice poem!

message 10: by Dawn (& Ron) (last edited Sep 30, 2012 05:21PM) (new)

Dawn (& Ron) (furryreaders) | 456 comments Dear Mount TBR Challenge we have neglected you so. With only one book Cocaine Blues counting towards this challenge. I stalled out on our climb up Pikes Peak at 10 books. A case of so many buddy reads but none counting towards the challenge. My next buddy read is Vanity Fair which has been ensconced on my shelves for 5+ years, leaving me with only one more to find and read from our TBR pile.

Mathematically speaking, you could look at it several ways. By the percentages I've completed 83% of my climb, 43,824 feet (or an average of 4869 feet per month) of El Capitan's 52,800 feet. This leaves me with 8976 feet to travel to reach the summit, 2992 feet per month. I'm thankful we don't measure our progress by number of pages read. I would have only accomplished 3437 feet, or a paltry 6.5% of my climb, leaving me with 49,363 feet to reach my goal over the next three months, or 16,454 pages per month, or approximately 548 pages needed a day. If we break it down per book. Each book would equal 4400 feet, 10 books totaling 44,000 feet traveled to date, leaving 8800 feet remaining, or 2933 feet for two months plus one more month of 2934 feet.

Any way you measure it I'm still on pace to reach the peak, as long as I don't repeat the efforts of my third quarter.

Dawn

message 11: by Dawn (& Ron) (new)

Dawn (& Ron) (furryreaders) | 456 comments The Story Teller, George M Cohan: The Man Who Owned The Story Teller, George M Cohan: The Man Who Owned Broadway spoke of The Familiars.
The Death of an Irish Politician
(the Ratcatcher)
fears Winters' Tales: Stories and Observations for the Unusual of A Dog's Life: The Autobiography of a Stray
when Magic Bites the Ravenmocker.

9 books, 7 added words, leaving 3 remaining to complete my climb.

-Ron

message 12: by Esther (new)

Esther (eshchory) The summer was tough for me an indulging in lengthy library books did me no favours for this challenge but I have no given up and am getting my second wind with the prospect of cooler weather in the near future.

Thanks to a good start early in the year I am up to 21 of 25 for Mt Vancouver.
4 books in 3 months is not going to defeat me.

message 13: by Bev (new)

Bev | 214 comments Mod
The Checkpoint is closed--in respect to prize-winning. Even if you're late to the checkpoint party, feel free to go ahead and let us know how you're doing.

Prizewinner announcement coming soon!

message 14: by Bev (new)

Bev | 214 comments Mod
Well, I fed in 10 comment posts (removing my initial post and the extra comment at post #9) and the CRNG Machine (Custom Random Number Generator) has given me comment post #10. Which means our Third Quarter winner is Esther! Hurray for Esther. I will contact you soon to see about getting the prize list to you.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Congratulations, Esther! :)

message 16: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (hayes13) Yay Esther!

I have finished 35 out of 40 for Mt. Ararat. I should have no trouble finishing. The pickings have been a little slim this quarter! Everything sort of "Meh". I guess Pd James Unnatural Causes was the best, even if the resolution ws aided by a highly improbable, although imaginative, confession.

message 17: by Esther (new)

Esther (eshchory) Thanks, that is great!!

message 18: by Geevee (new)

Geevee Well done Esther - here's to the next quarter and heck it'll be Christmas!

message 19: by Dawn (& Ron) (new)

Dawn (& Ron) (furryreaders) | 456 comments I got so excited when I saw in Bev's post "comment post #10" thinking that either Ron or I had won, but further reading revealed my error.

Congrats to the real winner, Esther from the faked out winner! ;0)

message 20: by Esther (new)

Esther (eshchory) Dawn (& Ron) wrote: "I got so excited when I saw in Bev's post "comment post #10" thinking that either Ron or I had won, but further reading revealed my error.

Congrats to the real winner, Esther from the faked out w..."

Sorry to grab the trophy from under your nose!!
Maybe next time.

message 21: by Julia (last edited Oct 02, 2012 09:41AM) (new)

Julia (mizzelle) | 23 comments As one of the previous winners, congrats to Esther. Enjoy your bounty!

message 22: by MichelleCH (new)

MichelleCH (lalatina) Go Esther!

message 23: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) Congrats Esther!