Completists' Club discussion

China Miéville
This topic is about China Miéville
Authors M-P > China Miéville

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Traveller (last edited Sep 19, 2012 08:13AM) (new)

Traveller (moontravlr) | 81 comments Novels and novellas

Bas-Lag series
Perdido Street Station (2000)
The Scar (2002)
Iron Council (2004)

Standalone works
King Rat (1998)
The Tain (2002)
Un Lun Dun (2007)
The City & the City (2009)
Kraken (2010)
Embassytown (2011)
Railsea (2012)[19]

Collections
Looking for Jake (collection, 2005)

Roleplaying games
Pathfinder Chronicles: Guide to the River Kingdoms (co-authored with Elaine Cunningham, Chris Pramas, and Steve Kenson; Paizo Publishing, 2010)

Short fiction
"Highway Sixty One Revisited" (in Young Words, 1986)
"Looking for Jake" (in Neonlit Vol. 1, edited by Nicholas Royle, 1999)
"Different Skies" (in Brit-pulp!, edited by Tony White, 1999)
"An End to Hunger" (in Book of Internet Stories, edited by Maxim Jakubowski, 2000)
"Details" (in The Children of Cthulhu, edited by John Pelan and Benjamin Adams, 2002)
"Familiar" (in Conjunctions: 39, The New Wave Fabulists, edited by Peter Straub, 2002)
"Buscard's Murrain" (in The Thackery T. Lambshead Pocket Guide to Eccentric & Discredited Diseases, edited by Jeff VanderMeer and Mark Roberts, 2003)
"Reports of Certain Events in London" (in McSweeney's Enchanted Chamber of Astonishing Stories, edited by Michael Chabon, 2004)
"A Room of One's Own" (in Mike Mignola's Hellboy: Oddest Jobs, edited by Christopher Golden, 2008)
"Jack" (in The New Weird, 2008)
"The Rope is the World" (on iconeye.com, February 2010)
"Covehithe" (on guardian.co.uk, 22 April 2011)

Comic books
Hellblazer #250, DC Vertigo 2008.
Dial H #1 onwards, DC Comics 2012.[20]

Nonfiction

Introductions to fiction by other authors
The Borribles: An Introduction, 2001.[21]
Things That Never Happen: An Introduction, 2002.
Wizardry and Wild: An Introduction, 2004.
At the Mountains of Madness: An Introduction, 2005.
First Men in the Moon: An Introduction, 2005.[22]
'Dagger Key' and Other Stories: An Introduction, 2007.

Afterwords to fiction by other authors
The Weird: A Compendium of Strange and Dark Stories, 2012.

Academic writing
"The Conspiracy of Architecture: Notes on a Modern Anxiety", Historical Materialism, 2: 1–32, 1998.
"Marxism and Fantasy: Editorial Introduction", Historical Materialism, 10 (4): 39–49, 2002.
"The Commodity-Form Theory of International Law: An Introduction", Leiden Journal of International Law, 17 (2): 271–302, 2004.
Between Equal Rights: A Marxist Theory of International Law, 2005, ISBN 1-931859-33-7.
"Anxiety and the Sidekick State: British International Law after Iraq", Harvard International Law Journal, 46 (2): 441–458, 2005.
"Floating Utopias", in Davis, Mike and Daniel Bertrand Monk (eds.), Evil Paradises: Dreamworld of Neoliberalism (New York: New Press), 2007.
"M.R. James and the Quantum Vampire - Weird; Hauntological: Versus and/or and and/or or?", Collapse, IV: 85–108, 2008.
"Weird Fiction", in Mark Bould and Sherryl Vint et al. (eds), The Routledge Companion to Science Fiction (London: Routledge), 2009.
"Cognition as Ideology: A Dialectic of SF Theory", in Mark Bould and China Miéville (eds), Red Planets: Marxism and Science Fiction (London: Pluto Press), 2009.
"Multilateralism as Terror: International Law, Haiti and Imperialism", Finnish Yearbook of International Law, 18, 2009.
"London's Overthrow" [24]

As editor
Red Planets: Marxism and Science Fiction (co-editor), 2009.

Other
China Miéville on Bookbits radio talks about Embassytown.

message 2: by David (new)

David Merrill | 36 comments I've been collecting his books,but still have only read the City and The City. It's a brilliant mindbender, perhaps not completely successful, but he bites off more than most writers would even attempt with his premise.

message 3: by Traveller (new)

Traveller (moontravlr) | 81 comments David wrote: "I've been collecting his books,but still have only read the City and The City. It's a brilliant mindbender, perhaps not completely successful, but he bites off more than most writers would even att..."

Yes, that may be his biggest fault- too much scope and too little depth. So far I've only read PSS, almost done with The Scar, and read some of his articles, but I plan to keep going. :)

message 4: by Dharmakirti (last edited Sep 20, 2012 08:05AM) (new)

Dharmakirti | 27 comments I've read:

Perdido Street Station
The Scar
The City and The City
Kraken
Embassytown

I've also read the first issue of his Dial H comic and enjoyed it and plan to keep reading. After seeing how his text pairs with images, I would love to see a comic/graphic novel adaptation of the Bas Lag novels.

My favorites are probably between Perdido Street Station and Embassytown. My least favorite was probably Kraken, although there were aspects about it I really liked (the origami), I just couldn't get into it the way I got into his other novels.

message 5: by Cecily (last edited Sep 21, 2012 12:22AM) (new)

Cecily | 31 comments Mieville is an author I thought I'd love.

Then I read The Scar, and was very disappointed (my review here: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...).

A while later, I attended an event at the British Library for the launch of a "lost" Gormenghast book (written by Peake's widow, based on a couple of pages of notes, then published after she too had died), at which he was the keynote speaker. His passion for my favourite author was inspirational, and speaking to him afterwards, he was utterly charming.

So now I want to give him another chance, so which should it be? The City and The City, Embassytown and Perdito Street Station seem to be the main candidates.

message 6: by Traveller (new)

Traveller (moontravlr) | 81 comments Cecily wrote: "and speaking to him afterwards, he was utterly charming.
"

*Turning green with envy here*

I personally like PSS, but if you didn't like The Scar, perhaps you should try The City and The City for a slight change in flavor? Not familiar with Embassytown yet, so can't comment on that.

message 7: by Cecily (new)

Cecily | 31 comments TC&TC is pretty good (nearly finished) and my son has just given me Embassytown and PSS, so I guess I'm committed to reading more Mieville in the near future. ;)