Books Stephen King Recommends discussion

Infinite Jest
This topic is about Infinite Jest
Oct 2012 - Jan 2013 Group Read > Infinite Jest General Discussion - NO SPOILERS

Comments (showing 1-50 of 69) (69 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle (mhomer616) | 28 comments Has the October book been decided? I am getting ready to place an amazon order and would like to go ahead and get it.

Thanks,
Michelle

message 2: by Janice (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) | 801 comments I was wondering about that myself. I enjoyed the Aug/Sep read so much, I'm eagerly awaiting the Oct/Nov read.

message 3: by April (new) - added it

April | 44 comments If you are taking nominations, I am nominating Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace, Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace. It's a heafty one! FYI. the kindle e-book Is listed at 4.99 and a used book through amazon can be purchased for approx. 7.00. I know this is a large book to take on. With the holidays just around the corner, I would understand if you were not ready for this one quite at this time. Anyway, this is just a suggestion as I would love to read this one with a group.

Drew (drew_p) | 3 comments Very excited or Infinite Jest. I've read a great deal of David Foster Wallace, mainly his several short story anthologies, but was never able to get beyond 100 pages of His masterwork, Infinite Jest. It's a mammoth piece, and requires a great deal of patience to read (those footnotes are hilariously long). Hopefully with the help of this group, we can all read the book in its entirety, and discuss it intelligently. Can't wait!

message 5: by Debra (new) - added it

Debra (debra_t) | 2574 comments Mod
I sent out an email saying we are definitely going to read Infinite Jest for our group read and we will take 3 months to do it, since it's such a big book. Hope that agrees with everyone! I'm excited about this one!

message 6: by Janice (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) | 801 comments I'm looking forward to reading it. :)

Connie (Ava Catherine) | 35 comments This book sounds really interesting. I am excited about reading it together.

message 8: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (Lboyd5900attnet) | 598 comments This book does sound exciting! My plan is to join in on this read with everyone.

message 9: by Tracy (new) - added it

Tracy (NoisyReading) | 15 comments I will be getting a copy of this one, and reading along.

message 10: by April (new) - added it

April | 44 comments Soooooo excited! Thank you, Debra!

message 11: by Bill (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bill I will read along with group! Thanks, Debra!

message 12: by Debra (new) - added it

So glad so many people plan on joining in. Makes my day!

message 13: by Bill (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bill Great choice as the ebook is only 4.99!

message 14: by Amber (new)

Amber | 126 comments I've never read anything by this author before, so I'm adding it to my list. And I like that we're taking 3 months for this one. Thanks Debra!

The Nook version is also only $4.99 if there are any non-Kindle users looking for the digital version.

message 15: by Debra (new) - added it

Yeah, I figured we'd need an extra month for such a large book.

message 16: by Bill (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bill I've a long flight head, this book will help the time pass!

message 17: by Debra (new) - added it

Where are you going, Bill?

message 18: by Bill (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bill Off to Montreal from South Florida! Catching a cruise ship and cruising back to Ft. Lauderdale. Just finishing "Winter Of The World"! A big read also, 950 pages! A five star read.

message 19: by Drew (new) - rated it 5 stars

Drew (drew_p) | 3 comments Dang Bill that's an impressive feat. I always have trouble with longer books, rarely finding the patience necessary to finish then. Infinite Jest, on top of its length , was made intentionally difficult by DFW--his foundational philosophy being that the work the reader put in would be greatly rewarded by the end. "Love takes work" was, I believe, one of the underlying ideas that went into the masterful Infinite Jest. This time around, with everyone's aid in this group, let's hope we can give David Foster Wallace the effort his novel requires.

message 20: by Debra (new) - added it

A cruise! How wonderful, Bill.

Drew: Thanks for the heads-up on the book. I'm usually enticed by longer books, not daunted, but I AM daunted when they get too intellectual for me. Hopefully, we won't find Infinite Jest to be TOO deep. Glad to hear you are going to give it a go with us!

message 21: by Bill (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bill Drew wrote: "Dang Bill that's an impressive feat. I always have trouble with longer books, rarely finding the patience necessary to finish then. Infinite Jest, on top of its length , was made intentionally diff..."

After "Winter", I've got , The Book Thief" to read followed by "jest", all long reads! Hoping they go as fast as "Winter"!

message 22: by Bill (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bill Debra wrote: "A cruise! How wonderful, Bill.

Drew: Thanks for the heads-up on the book. I'm usually enticed by longer books, not daunted, but I AM daunted when they get too intellectual for me. Hopefully, w..."

Deb

Acruise is a great way to do some reading between meals! LoL

message 23: by Debra (new) - added it

You got that right! I'm convalescing from surgery; also a good time to be reading!

message 24: by Drew (new) - rated it 5 stars

Drew (drew_p) | 3 comments Debra, will there be weekly/daily discussions on the books, and/or deadlines for certain chapters? Is there any way structurally to use Goodreads to hold one another accountable for completing specific intervals of the reading over a set perid of time?

message 25: by Debra (last edited Sep 22, 2012 12:57PM) (new) - added it

Once I pick the book up from the library this coming week, I will set up several individual discussion threads by chapters or parts, depending on how the book is laid out. You can look at previous group read discussions to see how they've been set up.

There is no way to hold anyone accountable for completion of all or portions of the group read. It is voluntary and open to everyone in the group. What we call spoilers are allowed in most of the threads (details about the plot, characters, etc.), so it is advised you only read those threads for the portions of the book you've already read.

People read at their own pace, and are welcome to continue discussing the book after the group read time-frame is over (in this case: October-December). I have no plans of deleting previous group read threads, so they are always "open" for comments.

I hope that explains things for you and look forward to your comments.

message 26: by Debra (last edited Sep 27, 2012 09:33AM) (new) - added it

I'm going to be setting up our group discussion for Infinite Jest soon. I got a copy of the hardcover AND the trade paperback and have found that they both have the same page numbering. There aren't really chapters, but the are section breaks with headings, so I will use page numbers and the headings to use as guidelines for our discussion threads. I will break the book up into 5 sections.

How does everyone feel about making this a 4 month read, since the book is so long? I'm wondering if we will need the extra time because of the holidays breaking into our reading time.

Let me know what you think?

message 27: by Tracy (new) - added it

Tracy (NoisyReading) | 15 comments I have a copy waiting at the library and will pick it up in a day or two. Three months will be enough time for me to read it.

message 28: by Amber (new)

Amber | 126 comments I would appreciate 4 months for this one. For me, starting with Thanksgiving and going through New Years, my free time is pretty much shot. I'm sure there are others who have a similar 'problem' who would benefit from that extra month.

message 29: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle (mhomer616) | 28 comments 4 months would be great...I tend to make a lot of my Christmas and Hanukkah gifts, so this will give extra time once the holidays are over. Plus it will give me a little extra time to "catch up", as I am reading the past books from this group.

message 30: by Janice (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) | 801 comments I'm good either way. Whatever the majority wants is fine with me.

message 31: by April (new) - added it

April | 44 comments I'm good either way, Debra. However, I agree with extending it. From what I understand, not only is the book long, but it is not an easy read. The holidays always seem to take all my free time away. I'm sure other feel the same.

message 32: by Debra (new) - added it

I think I'm going to extend it for another month. I agree that this one may be a challenging read and the holidays may slow some of us down.

message 33: by Jim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim Four months will average out to around 60+ pages per week, which should be good given the demands of the holidays.

While doing a little research about Infinite Jest, I came across a recommendation to read (or re-read) Shakespeare's Hamlet because the themes about father-son relationships and marital fidelity/infidelity are central to both the play and Wallace's novel. Also, the title "Infinite Jest" is taken from a speech in the play.

message 34: by Amber (new)

Amber | 126 comments Really looking forward to starting this one next week!

message 35: by Debra (new) - added it

Hey Jim: Thanks for the tip about Hamlet!

message 36: by Debra (new) - added it

I changed and moved this thread so it could be the start of our "General Discussion" thread for Infinite Jest.

All the threads for discussing the book are set up. They are broken up into approximate 200 page sections. The trade paperback and hardcover have the same page numbering, so I used page numbers and the chapter/part heading of the starting page for each new section. Hopefully, this will help you match up the threads to your book.

Remember, don't use spoilers in this particular thread. Spoilers are allowed in all the other threads.

message 37: by Amber (last edited Oct 01, 2012 08:36AM) (new)

Amber | 126 comments I read the first 2 chapters on Saturday afternoon and I have to admit that I was completely lost for almost the entire first chapter. After I finished it, I sat there for a few minutes rehashing everything I'd read and then I understood what was going on.

message 38: by Debra (new) - added it

Sounds like you are off to an interesting start!

message 39: by Debra (new) - added it

I'm sorry to say I've slowed down on this particular read because of health issues in my life. I have lymphoma and just started chemo. I'm feeling good about my diagnosis (it's seems we found the one tumor in time), but have been having trouble concentrating on any heavy reading.

I have a copy of the book on order so I can take my time reading it and not worry about it being due back to the library. I plan to have it finished by the end of the year.

Wondering how everyone else is doing. Can't help but think it's been so quiet around here because I've not been popping in as often. Sorry about that!

Keep on rockin!

message 40: by Jim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim Debra wrote: "I'm sorry to say I've slowed down on this particular read because of health issues in my life. I have lymphoma and just started chemo. I'm feeling good about my diagnosis (it's seems we found the..."

So sorry to hear about your diagnosis. FWIW, my father is 75 and just spent the past six months undergoing chemo for non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. Things went exceptionally well and the doctor has essentially given him the "all clear!" sign. Sincere best wishes for you!

I'm about 500 pages into IJ, and haven't been commenting because I've been waiting to see where others are at in their reading. I'll go ahead and add to the discussions over the next day or two to help keep things rolling along. It's an exceptional book and worth every minute.

message 41: by Ann (new) - added it

Ann (AnnRumsey) | 466 comments Debra: I truly hate to hear this news, and wish you the best in your healing and recovery. I am sure that your positive attitude will aid in your battle. We will be thinking of you, rooting for you and will try to keep the discussions going.
I got stuck on the opening of the book, stuck is a bad word, because I am not bogged down, I am fascinated! I am at 1% and will get back to it. This is a book that takes some concentration to read, so understandable that you may find your body needs your mind elsewhere right now. Find some lighter reading to hold you through the chemo and this book will await you when that is done.

Debra wrote: "I'm sorry to say I've slowed down on this particular read because of health issues in my life. "

message 42: by Bill (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bill Debra: My thoughts and prayers are with you during your recovery!

message 43: by Debra (new) - added it

Jim: I'm so glad to hear of your father's recovery. It is my understanding that remission from Lymphoma is highly successful, so I'm not too worried, especially since we caught it early. Give your father my best wishes, and thanks for your kind thoughts. I'm glad you are really enjoying the book, too.

Ann: Thanks for your best wishes. You've always been one of the rocks in this slow little group, and I appreciate that about you. Your insights are always intelligent and welcome. I know you will have lots to say about the book.

Bill: Thank you, too, for your kind thoughts and prayers.

message 44: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (Lboyd5900attnet) | 598 comments Debra please take care of yourself, my prayers are with you.

I told you ladies that I would join in this read, but I guess I didn't realize this was a large hard book to read. I'm not sure I'm up for it right now.

So, how is the book going for everyone so far - is it good? Should I dive in?? What's the verdict???

message 45: by Ann (last edited Nov 14, 2012 08:15PM) (new) - added it

Ann (AnnRumsey) | 466 comments Linda: I am finding it fascinating, but keep having to re-read parts and am not very far into it. I need some uninterrupted reading time but can't seem to squeeze it in.
I wonder has anyone tried the audio book? I am guessing it might be hard to get all of the nuance that way... Yikes - it is over fifty-six hours long!!!

Linda wrote: "So, how is the book going for everyone so far - is it good? Should I dive in?? What's the verdict??? "

message 46: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle (mhomer616) | 28 comments Debra...please get better soon! I have a friend who is in complete remission from Leukemia, she kept a daily online journal to document everything for her friends, family and her own peace of mind. If you have any questions, need support, or just some guidance, I am sure she would chat with you! Just let us know what we can do for you!

message 47: by Debra (new) - added it

Ann: I can imaging the audio is even more daunting than the physical book. Kudos to you for trying!

Michelle: Thanks for the words of encouragement. I have a great support system and am doing very well; better than had been expected. Give your friend my best! It's so nice to hear she is doing well!

message 48: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (Lboyd5900attnet) | 598 comments Ann, if I decide to read this one, it will be via audio. But I am not sure yet.

message 49: by Janice (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) | 801 comments I've decided to give this book a pass. Maybe I should just suck it up and read it, but I'm a little daunted by its size and reported intensity. I'm booked solid from now until the end of April/May, so I think I will need something a bit lighter to ease the strain of the working day.

message 50: by Debra (new) - added it

I understand if some people bow out from this one. It does seem a bit daunting, altho I enjoyed the first pages I read. I had to return the book to the library, but I've ordered a copy of my own so I don't have to rush thru it. I'm hoping to get it in before the end of the year, as long as I can concentrate on something so deep. That will depend a lot of how I do with my next chemo treatments.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Hamlet (other topics)
Infinite Jest (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

David Foster Wallace (other topics)