Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Do books need reboots like movies?

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I'd argue they should leave both books and movies the hell alone. I read the list linked below screaming NOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

http://www.flavorwire.com/329312/10-c...

message 2: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11617 comments As I read the list, my mind keeps going to the butchered updates of Looney Tunes cartoons I sometimes see snippets of on TV. They are HORRID, and completely lacking of the intelligence of the originals. Also, if you ever come across Looney Tunes Babies, RUN!!!

message 3: by Jammies (new)

Jammies No, books do not need reboots, and John Scalzi is going to burn in hell someday.

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments BunWat wrote: "What's Scalzi got to do with it?"

What's Scalzi but a second-hand emotion?

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments In movies, if you look at what is rebooted and what isn't, I think it comes down to the huge sums of money involved in film production. They'd rather go low-risk with a known franchise than gamble on something new. Hence the ridiculous sequels and movies based on popular tv shows.
Obviously publishing is also risk-averse, but I'd hate for them to get encouragement. I'd hope that some of the children's books mentioned above are still the intellectual property of their authors or authors' estates, and that might save us from Madeleine Wears Prada.

message 6: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24099 comments Mod
Yeah this is gross. Hate it.

message 7: by Jammies (new)

Jammies BunWat wrote: "What's Scalzi got to do with it?"

He rebooted Little Fuzzy.

message 8: by Stina (new)

Stina (stinalee) | 750 comments The idea of this makes me feel gross inside.

However, I have read a few books with a great premise that I think the author wrote poorly. I wish THOSE could have a reboot!

message 9: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments These books are beloved classics for many reasons, but one of those reasons is they weren't driven into the ground by continuous marketing and rehashes. They really need to leave them alone.

message 10: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments No! No no no!!! Fuckers. Leave 'em alone.

Fuckers.

message 11: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Not sure of your opinion, what are they again?

message 12: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Jim wrote: "Not sure of your opinion, what are they again?"

Fucker. :P

message 13: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Heidi wrote: "Jim wrote: "Not sure of your opinion, what are they again?"

Fucker. :P"

:-)

message 14: by Heidi (last edited Oct 02, 2012 08:55AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Jim wrote: "Fucker. :P"

:-)"

:)

message 15: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) I find the whole idea disgusting. IF I had kids, which I don't, I would never buy them such a thing! They would have the REAL stories, the originals. There's nothing worse than people messing with those you love, and I love my books!

Movies are different. The constantly evolving innovation with regard to special effects and cinematography can give a whole new prospective to films, especially in the Sci-Fi/Fantasy genre that just weren't possible before. Not to mention the world of Drama has always been such that many different people will often play the same roll over time, it began with theatre after all. No, movies definitely feel different to me.

message 16: by Jammies (new)

Jammies Heidi wrote: "No! No no no!!! Fuckers. Leave 'em alone.

Fuckers."

Heidi, will you join me in my boycott of John Scalzi? You'd double the membership! :D

message 17: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Jammies wrote: "Heidi, will you join me in my boycott of John Scalzi? You'd double the membership! :D"

Sure. We staging a sit in or something?

message 18: by Jammies (new)

Jammies Heidi wrote: "Jammies wrote: "Heidi, will you join me in my boycott of John Scalzi? You'd double the membership! :D"

Sure. We staging a sit in or something?"

Nah, just not buying his books. I'm almost always sitting in anyway.

message 19: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Robots? Books need robots like movies?

message 20: by Annette (new)

Annette Hart | 171 comments I don't like movie remakes either. Often they try to 'update' classics or foreign language films and lose a lot of what made the film great in the first place, e.g. language nuances, style, cultural nuances.

My son is 10 and fortunately loves the original "The Italian Job".

message 21: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Sometimes I agree, Annette. Other times, no. I own all three versions of War of the Worlds and I love them all for different reasons. (Yes, even the C Thomas Howell version...of which I just realized there is a sequel. I have to watch it now, no matter how bad it is. Damn!)

I absolutely LOVE the Gwyneth Paltrow version of Emma, which was always a favorite. At first Charlie and the Chocolate Factory with Depp creeped the hell out of me and I missed Gene singing. But, it grew on me. It's totally different, but I still love it and re-watch it.

And yet, Stepford Wives should not have been remade. (You heard me Broderick)

message 22: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Great, War of the Worlds II: The Next Wave is available for streaming. *sigh*

See you in 87 minutes.

message 23: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24099 comments Mod
Amelia wrote: "I absolutely LOVE the Gwyneth Paltrow version of Emma, which was always a favorite."

I loved Jeremy Northam in it, but Gwyneth polluted the whole thing with her horrible "acting."

message 24: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) War of the Worlds II was hideous, as expected. Was Tommy Howell always super skinny with LOTS of teeth? My 12 year old self doesn't remember him that way.

LG, I'm not a big Gwyneth fan in general. But, I love that movie.

My all time favorite though, is Jane Eyre circa 1943 with a young Orson Wells:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0036969/

I've never liked another version nearly as well.

message 25: by Philip (new)

Philip Athans (philathans) Good God NO!

message 26: by Meels (last edited Nov 02, 2012 10:26AM) (new)

Meels (amelia) Is that an answer to the original question, Philip. Or, do you have something against Orson Wells in particular?

message 27: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments No to reboots. Yes to books with robots who like movies.

message 28: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven)

message 29: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments Or music making moving robots.

message 30: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11617 comments That reminded me of Animusic. These look much better played from the DVD, but you can get the idea.

See an example here.

message 31: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Neat.

message 32: by Chris (new)

Chris (bibliophile85) Oh Jesus no, no and a resounding NO!

I have wracked my brain trying to think of one decent reboot of a television show or a movie.....not one single thing is coming to mind.

If the chimps at Hollywood can't come up with something to appease even the lowest common denominator....I shudder to think of the hatchet job that would be done to books.

Of course, I'm then reminded of H.L Mencken's quote, "Nobody went broke underestimating the taste of the American public." ;)

message 33: by Chris (last edited Dec 08, 2012 12:13PM) (new)

Chris (bibliophile85) BunWat wrote: "Christopher wrote: "Oh Jesus no, no and a resounding NO!

I have wracked my brain trying to think of one decent reboot of a television show or a movie.....not one single thing is coming to mind..."..."

I'll grant you Doctor Who and Star Trek. The Next Generation I'm actually more a fan of than the original Trek episodes... I haven't seen the new Battlestar Galactica or Muppet Movie so I can't comment on those.

The Batman movies were great, except I hate Christian Bale's portrayal of Batman....he's a wonderful Bruce Wayne, but his Batman is abysmal in my opinion.

Alright then....in very few instances are reboots decent (this is just one man's opinion however)

message 34: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Agree with BW on every single one of her examples. (as long as Deep Space Nine is not counted as a good anything...)

message 35: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments Phil wrote: "That reminded me of Animusic. These look much better played from the DVD, but you can get the idea.

See an example here."

Little loves this video. He makes me play it for him just about every day.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.