The Dapper Gentlemen of Letters discussion

Cloud Atlas
This topic is about Cloud Atlas
Cloud Atlas (No Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Brian | 33 comments Mod
No spoilers in this thread.

A.J. | 17 comments I'd love to constantly walk around & talk like Zachry. "Snailysome goin' was them rockfields, little babbit!"

Joshua (jaysix) | 26 comments Oh, I didn't realize this was the decision...I'll buy this one.

message 4: by Joel (new)

Joel (lcgiant) | 23 comments Mod
I'm having trouble getting motivated to buy & read this.

Brian | 33 comments Mod
I own it but it's slow starting. You assholes really need to vote for something other than Science Fiction at some point.

Jeremy Reinholt | 8 comments Mod
Reamde was science fiction? Really?

Brian | 33 comments Mod
It is what it was billed as. Stephenson is a science fiction writer.

Shaun Nelson | 18 comments Started to read this as soon as it was picked...started slow, put it down, restarted...got slow and completely stopped. trying again now

A.J. | 17 comments There are parts of Cloud Atlas that are science fiction, but big sections of it on their own really aren't. I'm finding it a pretty good read and I'm fascinated by the way he's managing to hook all the storylines together.

message 10: by A.J. (new) - rated it 4 stars

A.J. | 17 comments Deadline's over, who finished reading it?

message 11: by Joel (new)

I'm waiting for the movie

Matthew (thecallahan) | 6 comments I finished it a bit ago and liked it a lot. I wasn't a fan of the first setting but loved it after that.

message 13: by Ryan (new) - added it

Ryan Scott (tortacular) | 6 comments Mod
I'm waiting on the darn book from the library.

Railroad_Ross | 6 comments I wish I started this book with you guys. It's been on my reading list for awhile. I'll try to pick it up soon.

message 15: by Joel (new)

We need better consensus on our next selection.

Joshua (jaysix) | 26 comments Just started this yesterday. Its my new treadmill book. Not a huge fan of the writing style so far. Nothing has grabbed me yet, however I'm only about 15 - 20 pages in, so that means very little.

message 17: by A.J. (new) - rated it 4 stars

A.J. | 17 comments Joshua wrote: "Just started this yesterday. Its my new treadmill book. Not a huge fan of the writing style so far. Nothing has grabbed me yet, however I'm only about 15 - 20 pages in, so that means very little."

I had the same impression when I first started it. The good thing is, the writing style changes with each one of the separate stories going on. I really started to enjoy the book when the second story kicked in.

Brian | 33 comments Mod
I actually quite enjoyed this, I liked it more the further I got into it. The only real flaw in the book is the change in styles, character, and stories worked a lot like a short story collection, which meant there were natural breaks where I would just stop reading for a while, this book took me way longer than it should have.

Joshua (jaysix) | 26 comments I'm still in the 2nd story, I definitely like it better than the 1st, and I'm beginning to see how it ties into the 1st. Hopefully I'm knocking off 100 pages or so on my flight tomorrow.

Joshua (jaysix) | 26 comments I'm finally back to reading this again...I got it as an ebook from the library, it was about 2 months between checkouts. I have about 140 pages left. The book almost lost me at a few points, and at the mid-way point it really picked up. I'm now in the 2nd half of Cavendish, I'm not sure how much more I have to go in it.