The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1) The Lightning Thief discussion

So everyone thinks the movie sucked??

Comments Showing 1-50 of 76 (76 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Snigdha Deva This is the first time it has happened in any of the fandoms that all the fans think the movie Percy Jackson and the Lightening Thief was awful....or not? You tell me.

Also, MOA- 12 days to go....
Yeah, wait a sec. I've just read Percy Jackson a month ago but I realised, there is so much hate in the fandom. Why???????

You can probably guess this is from the mind of one bored person.

message 2: by ami (new) - rated it 5 stars

ami okay, i read books long time ago so i need some catching up but i think i know why there is so much - i wouldn't say hate - but rather DISLIKE for the movie because there weren't most of the scenes which were hilarious or important for us readers. also, they mixed some sequels with the first part AND if i may observe, it was quite shallow. :(

Cyndi Goodgame The movie just left out or changed too much. It needed more depth and set up for the next in the series.

message 4: by Elise (new) - added it

Elise The only thing I liked in the movie was Logan Lerman. (please forgive me for sounding like a 'I am going to marry Edward'/'Team Jacob!'-Twilight fan).

I liked the books, they are funny and you get to know something about the Greek mythology (although not everything is based on facts, I know that) which I really like. But the movie... no.

Marisa Yes, pretty much everything sucked in this movie. I could go on and on and on and on and on with what was wrong in the movie.

message 6: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 19, 2012 03:54PM) (new)

They messed up on appearances big time. For one, Annabeth and Percy are not supposed to look alike. Percy was okay but Annabeth is blond hair and gray eyes. Also, they are supposed to be 12, not 16 already. And there is no Clarisse! And it left out most of the funny bits that make Rick Riordan's books enjoyable.

I know this is a minor detail but it really bugs me that Percy uses an iPod as a mirror against Medusa. I mean, since when has Percy had the money to buy an iPod?

((Savanha)) Cat wrote: "They messed up on appearances big time. For one, Annabeth and Percy are not supposed to look alike. Percy was okay but Annabeth is blond hair and gray eyes. Also, they are supposed to be 12, not 16..."

I completely agree! Kept me from having to type it

Jazzi They changed everything. I know that appearances don't change the story but it still really bugs me.
They didn't even include Clarice? (Sorry if I misspelled her name) Are the going to introduce her in the Sea of Monsters? She plays a HUGE roll in that book. Plus I was really look forward to the bathroom scene.
They didn't even slightly mention or hint a Cronus? CRONUS IS ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT THINGS IN THE SERIES.
They had to find the pearls? What's up with that?
Basically the movie was change SO MUCH from the book. And I reread the book literally an hour before watching the movie and I was so disappointed.

Darlene I personally loved the movie.
I think most people are just upset, because it was just NOTHING like the book. As a movie adaption, ya it sucked. But just like, as a movie, I thought it was awesome.

message 10: by Eml (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eml Okay, I saw the movie before reading the books, so that should make me pretty unbiased. The only thing I liked about the movie was Logan Lerman, I could get lost in those boy's eyes any day...sorry, got a little distracted. *clears throat* Anyway, it was pretty boring; the plot kinda sucked. After reading the books, I became offended over how bad it was compared to them. It seemed like they wanted the fandom from Percy Jackson, just not the story. I mean they pretty much turned Camp Half-Blood into a military camp. I look forward to how they explain why Annabeth has blonde hair in the new movie. Or why they're going to the Sea of Monsters. They didn't leave in any of the parts of the plot that were continued on in the books later on.

Alexis Darlene =) wrote: "I personally loved the movie.
I think most people are just upset, because it was just NOTHING like the book. As a movie adaption, ya it sucked. But just like, as a movie, I thought it was awesome."<

The books are amazing and the movie is more of an eh. I definatley realized the things left out in the movie and the things changed. I was dissapointed because Persephone's Pearls are not Persephone's Pearls. He didn't battle the Chimera, Sally was left behind, not Grover, he didn't battle Ares (huge dissapointment) and they didn't find out that he was Poseidon's son until Capture the Flag like in the book. On the bright side, Percy, Grover, and Poseidon were all pretty hot.

Alexis Jazzi wrote: "They changed everything. I know that appearances don't change the story but it still really bugs me.
They didn't even include Clarice? (Sorry if I misspelled her name) Are the going to introduce h..."

You are completley right. I wonder is Grover is going to get lost and have to meet Polythemus and if Thalia is coming into the book at the end and if Clarisse will be introduced.

Alexis Jessica wrote: "Yeah, pretty much. Annabeth looking like her mom was a pretty big part of the book, and the fact that they ignored it bothered me. I understand having to change a few things about the movie so it f..."

I love the series too. Annabeth's appearence was a huge dissapointment, but Athena and Percy and Chiron were spot on. I ddn't love the movie, but I definanetly didn't hate it. I can't wait for Sea of Monsters.

message 14: by Eml (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eml Feven wrote: "Well, I--for one dislike the movie, in my opinion, there was nothing to like. The acting was OK, but they totally screwed with the characters.
1)they're like, I dunno...16? In the book weren't the..."

Annabeth has grey eyes...

Snigdha Deva Eml wrote: "Okay, I saw the movie before reading the books, so that should make me pretty unbiased. The only thing I liked about the movie was Logan Lerman, I could get lost in those boy's eyes any day...sorry..."

*Annabeth. Yeah, I read you haven't read it in 3 yrs, but just so you don't make further mistakes. Like I said above, there is so much hate in this fandom.

Snigdha Deva Eml wrote: "Okay, I saw the movie before reading the books, so that should make me pretty unbiased. The only thing I liked about the movie was Logan Lerman, I could get lost in those boy's eyes any day...sorry..."

Me too. It was actually the movie that made me read Percy Jackson but then I was so disappointed that it so different. It was so friggin' annoying that I kept imagining Annabeth like the girl in the movie. It wasn't until Titan's Curse that I could imagine her with blonde hair and gray eyes.....

Snigdha Deva Jazzi wrote: "They changed everything. I know that appearances don't change the story but it still really bugs me.
They didn't even include Clarice? (Sorry if I misspelled her name) Are the going to introduce h..."

*Kronos. Beware from other people here. They could proverbially thrash you to pieces if you make those kind of mistakes. I speak from experience.

message 18: by John (new) - rated it 4 stars

John Turney I feel like the director didn't read the book at all. They really should have stuck with the original story and plot.There was some cool things in the movie but it was nowhere near as good as the book.

Nishtha They messed up whole movie. It was horrible.

Kaylee Mifflin i dont think that it sucked. i actually like the movie kinda more than the book. i dont think that it was bad.

message 21: by maya (new) - rated it 3 stars

maya I hated the movie because it was absolutly nothing like the book. Sure, if it matched the book a little better, than yes, it would be a good movie. But it wasn't. I did think they had good effects though.

Rachel Alice Compared to the book, it sucked, but if you take it by itself, it's not that bad.

message 23: by Myan (new) - added it

Myan I didn't like the movie cuz it wasn't like the book. They changed details that were really important which bothered me.

message 24: by Olivia (new) - added it

Olivia M it would have been a good movie.....if not for the fact it was supposed to be based on a book

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

i didn't like the movie, the most disappointing things for me were the age thing;yeah sure Logan Lerman is attractive etc but he did not look like 11/12,so it kind of ruins the whole prophecy thing. the other thing was the ending, i hated how they protrayed Hades and made him the (really) bad guy, and ruining the relationship with his wife ( can't spell her name )

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Persephone is his wife's name.

message 27: by ami (new) - rated it 5 stars

ami yeah, it's a movie trick to set up 16-year-olds to play 11-year-olds so it would attract all sorts of audience :(. and i really wanted to watch them grow, so to speak, like in the book series. :(

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah... the movie was just bad.

Asher Freidberg It had great special effects, but the movie was nothing like the book and I was disappointed. But what did you expect? Of course it wasn't going to be as good as the book.

message 30: by Jeni (new) - added it

Jeni I liked the movie just fine. I actually saw it before reading the book.

My view of movies made out of books is that they can serve as a "teaser trailer" of sorts for a book. You like the movie? Read the book for even more action and adventure!

message 31: by Marvin Gesher Jay (last edited Oct 04, 2012 05:05AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Marvin Gesher Jay Deniega the movie was good but not as good as the book.

Chace The movie was good. But not good enough. For crying out loud, they changed a lot ! And cut too many scenes. And messed up with the casts (Annabeth is blonde and has gray eyes) The book is way way better than the film.

Ashlet I thought that the movie was fine. Not great. Yeah they did messed up the casts but i thought that Annabeth was looking good in the movie.

Alexis Ashlet wrote: "I thought that the movie was fine. Not great. Yeah they did messed up the casts but i thought that Annabeth was looking good in the movie."

Yeah, I liked the movie, but if i hadn't read the book frstm, it woulodnt' ahev been so dissapointing

Chante Douglas who cares what annabeth looks like! if u hadnt noticed.. in alot of movies they changed the appearences, so stop hating

Madeline There was so much wrong in the movie!

a) The kid's quest was all wrong
b) the pearls that saved them from the underworld were turned to a main point in the movie, although it wasn't all that important in the book.
c) The camp was shown as a dangerous, almost foreboding place. This was the most important place of Percy's life.
d) Annabel's hair. Enough said.
e) just the director's style, in general. The movie was made purely to try to add another fantasy kids franchise.

Alexis yeah, and they weren't PERSEPHONE'S pearls
camp was perfect
annabeth's hair, yeah
the movie itself was good, but if i hadn't read the book first, i wouldn't have been so dissapointed

Tayler They really didn't do a good job on the movie. They changed and left out a lit of stuff from the book. The movie probably would have been better if o hadn't read the book before hand.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

i liked the movie. it was great. you just have to think about it separately from the book.

Cecilia Carreon I love these books all time favs. Yes, the movie was NOTHING like the book but it was funny and all in all good. If try hard to forget about the actual book content and what it is suppose to have then its a good movie for those who wanted to see their characters come to life nope dont watch it. But really funny and cool movie watch it all the time but dont connect it to the book.

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

It was good but I think the book was better.
Sometimes movie adaptations are awfully made and leaving out a lot of stuff from the book to make the story fit on the movie..

Celine☆ Madeline wrote: "There was so much wrong in the movie!

a) The kid's quest was all wrong
b) the pearls that saved them from the underworld were turned to a main point in the movie, although it wasn't all that impor..."

I agree entirely. Why make a movie out of a book if you don't intend to at least follow the main points? I hated that Percy got there and they already knew he was the son of Poseidon. That was my favorite part of the book! -.-

Bass Drop (Joshua)  Burda The book is almost ALWAYS better than the movie.
It's either 1. They don't want copyright infringement 2. Don't want the people who read the book to be bored to hell for 1.5+ hours or 3. they made up the entire story, and never read the book itself.

message 44: by Joanne (last edited Oct 30, 2012 09:54AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joanne I LIKED the movie quite a bit. Of course, I didn't read the book until after I saw the movie with my son. He read the book first and was very disappointed by the movie.

Now he understands why I have always complained about the Harry Potter movies. He's never read the books -- I've read them all 3 times.

The PJ and HP movies are great as long as you don't try to compare them to the books.

Celine☆ Or they be just laaaaazy...

message 46: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah Well, I liked the movie. As a movie. As an adaptation of the book, it fell a bit short.

D.M. Andrews (author) Andrews I watched the film shortly after reading the book. I'd give the book four stars, but the film about 2 stars. It felt rushed and gappy, though I'm sure it will be enjoyed by younger children.

message 48: by Amin (last edited Oct 31, 2012 08:03AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amin Ahmed If I was the director of the Percy jackson and the lightning thief movie, i would have a very hard time continuing the series in movies and it actually may be impossible because they mixed up a lot of things

Mcham Movie was awful, acting was poor, choreograph was terrible, everything was awkward, and the set looked cheap and low budget. Story line was so off, I didn't even know what movie I was watching. Where the heck is kronos, ares, Clarisse, argus, etc. Only good thing about this movie was james bond as chiron.

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

I read the books after watching the first movie. At first I didn't get what all the hate was about. But totally got it after reading the books and I hate the movies too. They're just too different from the books, they ruined the books and some of the characters.

« previous 1