What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Necessary Rituals Of Maren Gripe
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED Woman in island fishing comunity goes a bit crazy SPOILERS [s]

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pix (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pix (pixelated_mind) | 8 comments Male author. A translation. The name of the guy had some of those little circles you get above some letters. So maybe swedish or the like?

So there is a woman with a husband. They have a loving relationship. They live on an island in a small close fishing community. She falls in love with a visiting sailor and everyone thinks she is losing her mind a bit wanting to be with him.

There is a bit where townspeople ransack the local tavern on roumors the innkeeper is hoarding treasure.

There is a bit were someone comes (doctor maybe) to see her. She is taken back to the mainland to an institution but returned very soon after as there is nothing wrong with her.

There are some bits following the town police guy trying to find out what's up but he isn't having any luck.

There is a bit with another woman having baths in the basement eating lollies on sticks.

SPOILER BIT
In the end we are at a court case hearing type thing were they are trying to figure out just why the woman climbed a mast of the sailors ship and jumped off.

Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish (cherylllr) Lots of clues - just one more needed: when (about) did you read this, or how old (at least) do you think it is?

message 3: by Pix (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pix (pixelated_mind) | 8 comments I read this some time in the last year or two. I think it may have been quite new. I'd say written in the last ten years at the oldest.

message 4: by Andria (new)

Andria (airdna) | 2501 comments Mod
I haven't read this so I don't know how well it fits, but Island of Wings keeps coming up in my searches so I thought I'd throw it out there. The author is a woman, but she is from Sweden, so...maybe?

message 5: by Pix (last edited Nov 12, 2012 12:56AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pix (pixelated_mind) | 8 comments I have found it!
I ended up contacting my old library and seeing if the woman on would go through my history looking for a title with the word Sophia in it which that wonderful creature totaly did! Turns out the Sophia bit is from another book by the same guy. The one I am talking about above is The Necessary Rituals of Maren Gripe by Oystein Lonn. Genius.
Thanks Andria and Cheryl for your help. :)

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/69...

message 6: by Moloch (new)

Moloch | 311 comments Book shelved in the group library as "adult fiction"

message 7: by Pix (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pix (pixelated_mind) | 8 comments Yes... (?)

message 8: by Moloch (new)

Moloch | 311 comments I meant, every time a book is found, it is added to the group's bookshelf http://www.goodreads.com/group/booksh... for reference, I did that :-)

message 9: by Pix (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pix (pixelated_mind) | 8 comments Oh cool! I am totaly looking at all the books on that list! :D