What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > YA coming of age, female MC with several male friends, budding romance but also humiliation, school dance

Comments (showing 1-10 of 10) (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Abby (new)

Abby (Absoso) | 2 comments i read this book a few years back and cant remember what its called

okay, it starts with this girl she starting middle school or high school, anyways, she likes her best friend ( i think his name is Matt) and she wants him to like her back, but he kinda starts drifting away from her and starting to hangout with the popular kids. It starts when she goes to the bus stop normally they walk together but he doesn't that time and when she gets there he kinda ignores her and talks to this
other kids, i believe she meets a girl from New York
who just moved there. Anyways other stuff happens and her best friend(Matt), friend( i think his name was Steve, i know sounds confusing) whom she never liked;because he would tease her,they kinda start hanging out. Towards the end of the book there is this school dance and she goes alone and her ( i guess former best friend now) friend,(Matt), that she likes ask her to dance and she thinks that he might like her. When there done she over hears all of the his friends making fun of him for danceing with her; teasing him that he likes her,and he says that he only did it because he felt sorry for her. So she runs out crying and the next day she goes to see Steve and he is kinda one of those misbehaved kids and he tells her he being sent to some military school, and they end up kissing.

i know its kinds a messy distribution but its all i could remember from it. so i would really appreciate if any of you guys have any idea to what this book
is.
thanks

message 2: by Lobstergirl, sniffing Sharpies (new)

Lobstergirl | 20666 comments Mod
Abby, are you still looking for this book?

message 3: by Christie (new)

Christie | 154 comments It sounds good. I wish someone had a title/author for you.

message 4: by Abby (new)

Abby (Absoso) | 2 comments @Lobstergirl
yeah

message 5: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (Iftcan) | 6960 comments Mod
Abby--how long ago was "a few years"? Was it new or old then? Where did you find it--library, book store, grocers? Do you have any memory of the cover?

Also--if you bump the thread up every month or two, you'll have a better chance of getting this ID'ed.

message 6: by Lostshadows (new)

Lostshadows | 19 comments Long shot, but any chance it's Sloppy Firsts by Megan McCafferty?

Some of the names are similar, but its been so long since I read it, I don't know if the details really fit.

message 7: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (notemily) | 477 comments I don't think it's Sloppy Firsts. I read that recently and this description doesn't match it.

message 8: by Leah (last edited Jul 07, 2014 09:09PM) (new)

Leah (lleahdoll) | 9 comments This sounds similar to a book I'm looking for...The bus stop part you mentioned triggered something in my brain. I'm not sure about the boy part of the story but the book I'm thinking of she befriends two other girls.. I think one may be Asian? There was a school dance. They were probably middle school/junior high age. I think the girl liked having her hair short.. or something like that??

message 9: by Cheryl (last edited Jul 26, 2014 05:38PM) (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) Abby, does Leah's book seem like it might be the same one?

Abby's msg #4 seems to be her most recent activity anywhere on GR, so we might want to consider this abandoned....

message 10: by Lobstergirl, sniffing Sharpies (new)

Lobstergirl | 20666 comments Mod
Giving Abby one more chance - then off to Abandoned. Maybe rewriting the header will give this some new life.