Cover to Cover Challenge discussion

2012 Archive > September read-a-thon sign-up

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Athira (last edited Sep 18, 2012 07:34PM) (new)

Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day) (readingonarainyday) Sorry for being super late in putting this up! I have been on a two-month hiatus for personal reasons, and things are still figuratively strewn around.

We're at the penultimate read-a-thon of the year!!! Wow!

It will be held from:

September 22nd (Saturday) 10 AM to September 29th (Saturday) 10 AM

**All times are in US Pacific time, but you can start earlier or later based on your preference**

Comment in this thread to sign-up

message 2: by Nancy H (new)

Nancy H | 561 comments I would like to sign up for this one, even though I don't know how much I will get done, due to a trip at the end of the week. I am still going to try to get as much reading in as I can. I usually set my goal to get at least 10 books done during a RAT, but this week I will be happy if I finish 5.

message 3: by LynnB (new)

LynnB I'm in once again!

message 4: by Nadine (last edited Sep 19, 2012 02:48AM) (new)

Nadine | 252 comments I am in! Oh so soon! I like it though. Great chance to finish some books I have in progress. :-)

PS: I decided that I will dedicate this readathon to finishing my current books and some I put away because I wasn't in the mood anymore but which give me a bad feeling for having abandoned them when thinking of them.

the unfinished lot:

1. Beautiful Disaster
2. The Graveyard Book
3. UnWholly
4. A Visit from the Goon Squad
5. Slave to Sensation
6. 4:50 From Paddington
7. Between
8. Ready Player One
9. Between Shades of Gray
10. Lover Eternal
11. The Child Thief

message 5: by ★Meghan★ (last edited Sep 19, 2012 04:22PM) (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 247 comments Sign me up! I have quite a few that need to finish. I am hoping to get at least 4 books read.

Planned Books:

Finish:
Unholy Ghosts
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest

Continue:
Water for Elephants
Eragon
New Moon

Start:
Graceling
Pride and Prejudice
plus possibly 1 or 2 more

message 6: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 343 comments Mod
I am in.

message 7: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Harvey (missymaysreadingnook) Sign me in! I've been on a roll these past two months and a good read-a-thon is just what I need to finish it off :)

message 8: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 362 comments I'm in! I've been looking forward to this, since I had to miss the last one. I think I'll shoot for 1500 pages, a lofty goal for me.

message 9: by Tracy (new)

Tracy I'm in!

message 10: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) I'm on board. At least this time I'm not in bed sick, so I hope to get more reading done!

I expect to be done with one of my current reads by Saturday, but I may still be working on Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, in which case I'll start by finishing that up. Next on the list are Oryx and Crake and The Red Tent. I'd also like to re-start The Shadow of the Wind. If I manage to finish those, I'll decide on where to go from that point.

I think I'll schedule Sunday as a 24-hour marathon-within-the-marathon day to help me along, as both my boyfriend and son will be elsewhere that day.

message 11: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 362 comments Impressive lists of books. It looks like some great reading is about to begin!

message 12: by Amber (new)

Amber I'm in! Hoping to at least get through the few library books I have due back in the first week of October.

message 13: by Anne (new)

Anne | 274 comments I'll be working 55 hours next week, but I'll try to join in. If I can finish 2 books, I'll feel like I have done very well. I've already fallen behind on my reading during this stretch of mandatory overtime, and I could use the extra motivation to get caught up.

message 14: by Linette (new)

Linette Looking forward to it - the books are stacking up around here.

message 15: by ★Meghan★ (last edited Sep 20, 2012 08:32AM) (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 247 comments Anne wrote: "I'll be working 55 hours next week, but I'll try to join in. If I can finish 2 books, I'll feel like I have done very well. I've already fallen behind on my reading during this stretch of mandato..."

I know how you feel I work a minimum of 50 hours a week. Some weeks reaching up to 80 hours...It stinks, but reading is always a good way to wind down.

message 16: by Amy (new)

Amy I'm in as well. I want to read these two library books:

Honolulu
I Know This Much is True

The latter is over 900 pages, so I'll be happy to just complete both.

message 17: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) I'm in...don't know what I'll get read since I'm trying to can a bunch of fruit and veggies, but I'll try to get reading in there too!

message 18: by Kim (new)

Kim (catmommie) I'm 110 pages into A Discovery of Witches. I'd like to have it done by next weekend, before all of my requested books come in the following week!

message 19: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Oh man, didn't realize this starts today. I guess I should pay attention.

message 20: by Rachael (new)

Rachael (rachaelc94) Sign me up. I want to finish:

Between the Lines which I am on page 316 out of 352.

I want to start and finish

The Guardian
Heart of the Matter
A Bend in the Road

message 21: by LynnB (new)

LynnB I'm starting with:
finishing up The Gift of Rain
reading The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry before it's overdue
and reading Catching Fire.

message 23: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Finishing Captive in the Dark and Undead and Unstable. Just started Zero Day and Blood Warrior. Need to finish Odd Apocalypse but I am going to be sad when it's over.

message 24: by Amber (new)

Amber Oops. Was thinking this didn't start until Monday. Looks like I have a good reason to stop doing chores around the house and delve into my pile of books. . . Happy reading everyone!

message 25: by Amber (new)

Amber Amy wrote: "I'm in as well. I want to read these two library books:

Honolulu
I Know This Much is True

The latter is over 900 pages, so I'll be happy to just complete both."

Have you read any Wally Lamb before? I haven't read this one, but I've read 3 of his others and every single one was fantastic. It was a struggle to set them down to go to bed or go to work. Good luck with your goal!

message 26: by Ann A (last edited Sep 22, 2012 11:47AM) (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 362 comments Will there be a Progress and Reporting thread, or should we just post updates here? Good luck, everyone, and Happy Reading!

message 27: by Nadine (new)

Nadine | 252 comments Yeah looking for the progress and reporting thread as well...

message 28: by Athira (new)

Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day) (readingonarainyday) The progress thread is up! Sorry for the delay! Enjoy reading. :)

message 29: by Nadine (new)

Nadine | 252 comments Ah thanks, Athira!

message 30: by Joanie (new)

Joanie (joaniemaloney) Oh wow, I have been so out of the loop lately - haven't been on goodreads as a regular in MONTHS, so I lost track completely. Looks like I stumbled right in the middle of a readathon, which is perfect because I've been trying to get back to getting some leisure reading done.

I've read The Shadow of the Wind so far this week, and hoping to finish the trilogy. There are tons of new books I've bought recently that I want to dive into. :)

message 31: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 362 comments Joanie wrote: "Oh wow, I have been so out of the loop lately - haven't been on goodreads as a regular in MONTHS, so I lost track completely. Looks like I stumbled right in the middle of a readathon, which is perf..."

Join us over on the Progress and Reporting thread, Joanie! I liked The Shadow of the Wind a lot, but have not read the others in the trilogy - will be curious to see how you like them.

message 32: by Heather (Heatso) (new)

Heather (Heatso) (hyperweather) | 20 comments Whoops just realized this was this week! My brain must have known since I stayed up half the night reading last night :P