Completists' Club discussion

Authors A-D > E.F. Benson

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by mark (new)

mark monday (happy-end-of-the-world) | 44 comments i loved the entire Mapp & Lucia series. brill! had very mixed feelings about Ravens' Brood.

a friend left me his near-complete collection of E.F. Benson novels when he passed away. so one of these days i plan on tackling them. but i'm feeling the need to re-read those Mapp & Lucia books first.

message 2: by David (new)

David Postle | 50 comments Yes, they are loads of fun, but I suggest if you read nothing else by Benson that you try and read some of his ghost stories, if you like that kind of thing.
One of the greatest writers, in my opinion, in that genre. The Dodo stories are great fun as well.
They were his first outings in social comedy, of which the Mapp and Lucia novels are the peak.

message 3: by mark (new)

mark monday (happy-end-of-the-world) | 44 comments thanks for the recommendation regarding Dodo and the ghost stories. I have both but have yet to read them.

message 4: by David (new)

David Postle | 50 comments I learnt something I didn't know previously, yesterday. The authors AC Benson, EF Benson and RH Benson were brothers. I knew they were all authors, but I didn't know of the relationship. Check the following article. All very interesting.
http://anilbalan.com/2011/10/11/the-b...