A Modern Witch (A Modern Witch, #1) A Modern Witch discussion

about the book

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lonnie09 (new)

Lonnie09 I have to do a blog for class and mine is the review of fantasy books. I need quotes for this blog if you have read this book could you tell me a quote or two about what you thought about it and a name I can put in my blog to go with the quote. The blog is www.worldsbetweenpages.wordpress.com if you want to check it out I just started.

Diane I think this is one of the most original books I've read in a long time. The characters are warm, kind, funny, smart and very real. The Witch Central world has really captivated me and I wish they were people I could meet and befriend in real life! I really love how Ms. Geary has combined traditions and the modern world so well and she has created a group of strong and powerful women in all senses of the words yet also shows respect for the men in the book. Often when a story is about a strong woman, the man or men in her life are portrayed as weak fools but this is not the case here.

message 3: by Lonnie09 (new)

Lonnie09 Diane wrote: "I think this is one of the most original books I've read in a long time. The characters are warm, kind, funny, smart and very real. The Witch Central world has really captivated me and I wish they ..."

Thank you so much for replying, and for the very telling and thoughtful review I can tell you relly enjoyed the book.

message 4: by Debora (new) - added it

Debora Geary Diane, you're so sweet :). Lonnie, good luck with your project!

Deanna Guerrero I LOVE THIS SERIES!!!!

message 6: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen I very much enjoyed reading this book and have now downloaded the next in the series. The characters are interesting, witty, and full of fun. Thanks!

message 7: by Debora (new) - added it

Debora Geary Thanks to both Deanna (sorry - I missed you!) and Jen. Glad you're enjoying my witches :).

Stacey Diane wrote: "I think this is one of the most original books I've read in a long time. The characters are warm, kind, funny, smart and very real. The Witch Central world has really captivated me and I wish they ..."

I have to totally agree with you! I have loved the plot and characters in these books. And I think you touched on the reason I've enjoyed them so much! I'm just starting the fourth book. Ms. Geary has done a wonderful job of weaving the characters through each book, building on their strengths and exposing their weeknesses. The sense of family is strong. I'm looking forward to the rest of the series!

Diane It's also a series of books that women of all ages would enjoy, from teens to Grannies. There are characters that appeal to all and there's no swearing, sex or violence. That doesn't put me off a book but i'd hesitate to recommend it to an older person if i knew they weren't comfortable with that kind of thing or to a younger one for whom some books might not be age appropriate. They are PG rated without talking down to the reader at all.

Stacey Diane wrote: "It's also a series of books that women of all ages would enjoy, from teens to Grannies. There are characters that appeal to all and there's no swearing, sex or violence. That doesn't put me off a b..."

Once again, Diane, you nailed it! I would even recomment this book to those that don't think they like fantasy. It has such a modern feel that witches and magic doesn't seem out of place.

message 11: by Debora (new) - added it

Debora Geary <3

Matteo Pendarvis I love the fact that reading these books make you feel like you are a part of the afmily. You can really feel the love, and humor and pain these charaters experience. I love the fact that the characters are fully developed and still growing. The stoylines are genuine, simple and meaningful. The women are intelligent and strong, and the men are wise, and loving and kind.

What really made me fallin love with these books, is Ms. Geary is one of the few authors that interact with her reader, Nalini Singh is great for this as well. I wrote a review and she responded via email, which made my day. She responds to her fan and is pleasant and caring.

message 13: by Debora (new) - added it

Debora Geary She sometimes gets to Goodreads, too :). Thank you, I'm glad you have fun hanging out with my witches.

Jennifer Lee These books are a treasure. They have captivated me from the first. I love re-reading them on rainy days...like old friends, family, and warm blanket for the heart. Also, it might sound funny, but I think I am a kinder and gentler person because of them.

message 15: by Debora (new) - added it

Debora Geary There is no bigger compliment than that - thank you so much!

Adrienne I enjoy this series. the characters are quirky but warm and funny. Learning to accept the differences of each other and help each other while developing relationships and friendships. Hard to pick one favorite character in this series, they all are wonderful

message 17: by Debora (new) - added it

Debora Geary Thank you! Lizard and Marcus are two of my favorites. My husband says that's because they're most like me!

Adrienne Debora wrote: "Thank you! Lizard and Marcus are two of my favorites. My husband says that's because they're most like me!"

Debora: I like Lizard as well especially after reading the newest book in the series. But, I really get a laugh out of the because they still haven't grown up yet.

Wendy Richards This series always makes me feel so good after I get done reading it. It does make me wish I knew the writer personally, because someone that can write like this and share so wonderfully has got to be one great person. I always take something away that adds to me as a person after reading any one of the Witch Central Books.

Adrienne Wendy wrote: "This series always makes me feel so good after I get done reading it. It does make me wish I knew the writer personally, because someone that can write like this and share so wonderfully has got to..."

Wendy:I agree. One of the few authors that teaches a lesson and brings a positive attitude to the stories

message 21: by Debora (new) - added it

Debora Geary <3!

Dorian Goodyk Deb, you are awesome!! As I've said before, you're books make me feel all squishy inside. :)

message 23: by Debora (new) - added it

Debora Geary <3 - thank you!

Sarah I can't remember when I have been affected by a book as I was by the last of An Unlikely Witch. I had tears running down my cheeks all the way to the end. Sweet sweet Bennie - what a joyous way to bring their family together.

message 25: by Debora (new) - added it

Debora Geary Aww, thank you. Bennie's story is one of my faves.

Lady S I have read every one of the "Modern Witch" books, and am now into the "WitchLight Trilogy", and have already downloaded all the current books in the "Witch Central" series.

As a practicing "witch" myself, I have to say that your depiction of the "modern" witch is an awesome take on our religion. I just wish that real-life witches had such a wide-spread sense of "family" as in your books. Our "families" are almost exclusively limited to our own covens.

I love your books, and I hope that you keep writing more and more of these awesome accounts of our favorite characters.

Sarah I am so, so so sorry to see the end of this series. Sorry for your personal upheaval, Debora, and very sorry that we won't have a window into the lives of those at Witch Central in the future. Thank you for a wonderful series of books - your characters have a permanent place in my heart.