Horror Aficionados discussion

What Twisted Your Childhood?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 225 (225 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by D. (new)

D. Hilliard (dnathanhilliard) | 30 comments When I was a young lad, my parents were very picky about the movies they would take me too. Seeing as I was an impressionable boy with an imagination that had a will of it's own, my parents opted towards the motto of "Disney or nothing" just to play it safe. This seemed like a sound strategy, and it worked for a while, but then one day Walt Disney let them down in a spectacular way.

They took me to see a movie called Darby O'Gill and the Little People. And it was in that darkened theater I would meet the spectral terror that would haunt the dreams of the rest of my childhood. It was a shade called The Banshee, and to this day I wonder who in their right mind thought this was a good idea to subject kids too. It's not bloody or gross (this IS Disney after all) but that thing had a creep factor of 10.

Anyways, while other kids had their own critters that haunted their childhood closets, this was the bugger that haunted mine.
So what monsters did you guys have as kids?

message 2: by Donna (new)

Donna | 166 comments The Incredible Hulk. I used to have this recurring dream that I was in my bedroom and I could hear The Hulk stomping slowly down the hallway, saying he was coming to get me. To make it worse, in between each stomp, a clown would reach up from beneath my bed and tickle me, laughing a ghastly clown laugh.
Over thirty years later, I still hate the hulk and am scared to death of clowns :) Creepy bastards!

message 3: by Becky (new)

Becky | 46 comments My brother let me watch Poltergeist when I was way too young and I've hated/feared clowns ever since. My mother also took me to see Jaws 3D when I was probably too young and I wouldn't even walk over our blue carpet. She also thought it was hilarious to through a rubber shark into the bath tub with me. They wonder why I'm warped.

message 4: by Becky (new)

Becky | 46 comments OH, we also had this grandfather clock that only I could see a face in the woodwork. I hated the clock and would sneak past it as fast as I could. I had a horrible nightmare that it chased me down the hallway.

message 5: by D. (new)

D. Hilliard (dnathanhilliard) | 30 comments OH, we also had this grandfather clock that only I could see a face in the woodwork. I hated the clock and would sneak past it as fast as I could. I had a horrible nightmare that it chased me down the hallway.

Lol! That sounds like me and the ironing board. I could see the ironing board silhouetted against the window when I was four or five, and it looked like a crocodile. My mom probably thought I was nuts.

message 6: by Becky (new)

Becky | 46 comments To this day, my mother is like "Butch, did you see a face on that clock ?" ( to my dad ). They are so weird LOL

message 7: by D. (new)

D. Hilliard (dnathanhilliard) | 30 comments For some reason clowns never scared me. I guess because the only clown I saw in childhood was Bozo. So I guess I got off lucky there.
@Donna...It never occurred to me that the Hulk might be scary to a kid, but in hindsight it only makes sense. A big green monster that roars and beats up people...yeah, a little kid is going to looove that.

message 8: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan  (voodoo-spooky) | 19 comments I grew up with an older cousin who loved scaring us younger kids. One night, when my friends and I were up late watching The Thing, my older cousin snuck outside and scratched at the windows with a tree branch. My curiosity got the best of me, and as I pressed my face up to the window pane he jumped up into view wearing a zombie mask. Looking back, it was pretty funny, but at the time I nearly crapped my pants. Every time I look out a window these days, I wonder if some turd is on the other side, waiting.

message 9: by D. (last edited Sep 18, 2012 05:57PM) (new)

D. Hilliard (dnathanhilliard) | 30 comments lol! Yeah, nothing is harder on young kids than older brothers/cousins. Dealing out childhood psychic trauma is like their sacred duty or something...
...and of course, Dads with a sense of humor.

message 10: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1416 comments When I was little little, I don't think I really had a boogey man or anything, that didn't really start until I was in elementary school. Then I started being afraid that something was hiding in the closet, a fear I still have to this day. When I was younger I read Night of the Living Dummy, I was probably like 7 years old, and that book scared me so freaking bad. Ruined me for dolls ever after, and I became afraid that the damn dummy was what was in my closet, or hiding behind the couch to get me if I got up to go to the bathroom. It wasn't until I was a little older that I started being afraid of ghosts and stuff like that, for the longest time it was just that dummy. Even when I was slightly older and graduated to the Fear Street books, I still would think back upon the dummy and shudder... Lol, not so scary now though.

message 11: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments The spider scene in The Incredible Shrinking Man and the web scene in The Fly.

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) My Dad used to torment my older sister (she was from my Mom's first marriage)

He would hide in our basement, which had a vent under her bed (from the basement) and wait approx 1 hour until he estimated she was just about asleep and then would make ghost sounds so it seemed like it was coming from under her bed. Then, when we moved to Texas and there was no basement... he hide under her bed and did the same thing.

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) He's also abused her Oogle (it was a stuffed penguin I think)...

she'd ask what was for dinner
He'd answer, "Roast Oogle"
and her penguin was in the over in a roasting pan (it was not turned on at least)

message 14: by glenda (new)

glenda (ayngelwing) | 1051 comments Alana ~ The Book Pimp wrote: "My Dad used to torment my older sister (she was from my Mom's first marriage)

He would hide in our basement, which had a vent under her bed (from the basement) and wait approx 1 hour until he est..."

That's just sick.

message 15: by Nick (new)

Nick (nick1050) | 44 comments Hellraiser.... Holy shit I was around 6 years old when I came down stairs and saw pieces of it when my parents were watching it one night. That and several paranormal experiences that occured really shaped my interest in horror and the supernatural.

message 16: by RB (new)

RB (rblindberg) My parents allowed me to watch whatever I wanted when I was a child, including the news and horror movies. They knew that it didn't really scare me or give me nightmares. With two exceptions though: I refused to watch Dr Who and The Exorcist - those two freaked me out.

message 17: by Char (new)

Char  | 13642 comments Mod
My parents used to take me to the drive in movies, sometimes for dusk to dawn showings.
I remember seeing The Night of the Living Dead. The only thing that really horrified me was the killing of the daughter and the only survivor being shot in the end.

Jaws gave me a nightmare for sure.
I also hated the circus and clowns. (I still do!)

message 18: by D. (new)

D. Hilliard (dnathanhilliard) | 30 comments Tressa wrote: "The spider scene in The Incredible Shrinking Man and the web scene in The Fly."

Oh god, and Tarantula! Bigger than life spiders joined the rank of monsters in my closet soon after I hit the Saturday Afternoon Matinee age.

message 19: by Ken B (new)

Ken B | 6474 comments There used to be a TV show hosted by Leonard Nimoy, called "In Search Of..." that ran in the late 1970's, early 1980's. It presented itself as a documentary but in hindsight (having found a few episodes on YouTube), most of their facts were pretty shoddy. But, that was irrelevant to a 10 year old!

There was an episode where they were "In Search of..." ghosts. One scene, a re-enactment, showed a figure stepping out of a darkened corner into a bedroom. That scene scared the living crap out of me. I had never worried about open closet doors when I went to bed before that. But, I couldn't sleep with an open closet thereafter. I remember going to bed in the years after and realizing I had left the closet door open only to jump up and close the door as fast as I could and always expecting to be met at the closet door by that same figure.

I hate Leonard Nimoy!

message 20: by Becky (new)

Becky | 46 comments I had a thing with closet doors too. I would go into a blind panic mode state if it was even cracked.

message 21: by Char (new)

I remember that show, Ken! I loved it! : )

message 22: by D. (new)

D. Hilliard (dnathanhilliard) | 30 comments Ken wrote: "There used to be a TV show hosted by Leonard Nimoy, called "In Search Of..." that ran in the late 1970's, early 1980's. It presented itself as a documentary but in hindsight (having found a few epi..."

My brother and I used to argue every night over the closet door. He wanted it closed and I wanted it open. He didn't want to "let the monster out" while I just couldn't live with the possibility of that door slowly creaking open. To me that would have been worse than the monster coming out.

message 23: by Morgan (new)

Morgan Fables | 3 comments So what monsters did you guys have as kids?

I had a rather strict religious upbringing, when I was younger, so I wasn't allowed to watch most of the so called 'devil' cartoons and the like.

Yet for some reason, it was perfectly okay for me to sit through a weekly sermon where the preacher would describe in intricate detail how my skin would be burned off and I would be cooked alive, if I did not stay on the right path.

Nothing was scarier than the Book of Revelation, when I was a kid. Most horror movies I snuck into later on, tended to seem like parodies of it tbh.

message 24: by Ken B (last edited Sep 19, 2012 09:22AM) (new)

Ken B | 6474 comments Ken wrote: "There used to be a TV show hosted by Leonard Nimoy, called "In Search Of..." that ran in the late 1970's, early 1980's. It presented itself as a documentary but in hindsight (having found a few epi..."

Holy shit! I found the clip!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isB7-...

Fast forward to the segment starting at 4:11...the scary part is around 6:10.

message 25: by Kristy (new)

Kristy (kristabela) | 120 comments D. wrote: "lol! Yeah, nothing is harder on young kids than older brothers/cousins. Dealing out childhood psychic trauma is like their sacred duty or something...
...and of course, Dads with a sense of humor."

Here's to all dad's scaring the hell out of their children! I wouldn't change a thing about that part of my upbringing.

message 26: by Pat (new)

Pat (pata) | 5 comments I was allowed to watch horror videos with the family from about the age of seven. The first I saw was Creepshow and for years, that was the scariest film I’d ever seen. The story that freaked me out the most was "Something to tide you over" with Lesley Nielsen and ‘the seaweed people’ (as I called them at the time) who came back for revenge. For weeks, every time I closed my bedroom door I thought I would turn around bump into those two, just like that scene in the film.
I watched it again in my late teens and although a blue, wrinkly Ted Danson draped in seaweed didn’t particularly scare me, the whole being buried neck deep in sand, waiting for the tide to come in, did!

message 27: by Parker (new)

Parker J (parkerj) | 2 comments Oh my Ken i watched the clip and it scared the hell out of me. The guy from the closet is so scary. But my childhood scare thing was in this one time i was at my brother's and my friend's house . we were watching some scary movie and there was this taping from the window behind the couch and we looked back and there was the guy in a really scary mask just sitting there. It turned out it was his dad and and older brother playing a prank but i was so scared when i looked out of the window for a long time.

message 28: by Kilgallen (new)

Kilgallen | 73 comments I think that having grown up in a house that we believe was haunted made for all the scarey experiences that I needed.....oh and watching Invasion of the Body Snatchers (circa 1979ish) when I was about ten years old the first time my parents went out and let me stay home alone also did not help.....That was one scarey movie!

message 29: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1437 comments I was scared of the tooth fair as a kid because I thought he (yes, my tooth fairy was male) looked like Orko from He-man, who scared me for whatever reason. I'm guessing it's the black void under the hood. My brother wasn't even allowed to put his teeth under his pillow because I would freak out. Yet, he still got money.

message 30: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan  (voodoo-spooky) | 19 comments Unsolved Mysteries terrified me as a kid. Robert Stack knocked it out of the park every episode with that creepy voice.

message 31: by D. (new)

D. Hilliard (dnathanhilliard) | 30 comments Hmmmm..."In search of" and "Unsolved Mysteries" seem to have had a big impacet on kids of the late seventies and early eighties.

message 32: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan  (voodoo-spooky) | 19 comments The episode of Unsolved Mysteries about Resurrection Mary stuck with me. When I was finally old enough to drive, I took a trip up to Chicago to visit the cemetery she allegedly haunts. Anyone here ever looked into that case?

message 33: by 11811 (Eleven) (new)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1561 comments That freaky demon witch spirit near the beginning of Ghostbusters. Not the slimer dude but the evil spirit old crone earlier in the film. I'll have to YouTube for the scene. In any case, cut me some slack. I was like 10 and now have a fear of poorly done theatrical special effects in films prior to the era of the PG-13 rating.

message 34: by 11811 (Eleven) (new)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1561 comments Rachel wrote: "I was scared of the tooth fair as a kid because I thought he (yes, my tooth fairy was male) looked like Orko from He-man, who scared me for whatever reason. I'm guessing it's the black void under t..."

That image with my memory of Orko will haunt me until the end of days.

message 35: by D. (new)

D. Hilliard (dnathanhilliard) | 30 comments 11811 wrote: "That freaky demon witch spirit near the beginning of Ghostbusters. Not the slimer dude but the evil spirit old crone earlier in the film. I'll have to YouTube for the scene. In any case, cut me..."

The ghostly librarian lady?

message 36: by 11811 (Eleven) (new)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1561 comments D. wrote: "AAAHHHHHH make her go away!!!!"

message 37: by Donna (new)

Donna | 166 comments I remember a movie that freaked me out (my parents really dropped the ball when it came to deciding what we could watch!). It was called The Changeling (obviously not the Angelina Jolie one), and I vividly remember the scene where the father drowned the boy in the bath, and seeing the ball bouncing down the stairs. I don't like balls that bounce down stairs, or out of closets, or anything like that :)
Also remember watching The Thing when it first came out on video. And Alien. And The Howling.

message 38: by Kurt (new)

Kurt Reichenbaugh (kurtreichenbaugh) | 122 comments As a kid I saw The Horror Chambers of Dr. Faustus on TV, one of those creature feature shows hosted by Dr. Paul Bearer in Tampa. There was a scene of a woman's face surgically removed. It disturbed the hell out of me and gave me nightmares. I haven't seen it since, but still disturbs me.

message 39: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan  (voodoo-spooky) | 19 comments Donna wrote: "I remember a movie that freaked me out (my parents really dropped the ball when it came to deciding what we could watch!). It was called The Changeling (obviously not the Angelina Jolie one), and I..."

Alien messed me up too. I peeked around a corner at the exact moment that the alien got claustrophobic and... well you know, escaped. I didn't eat spaghetti for a month.

message 40: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Owen | 45 comments You know, initially I hated horror of any kind. I was intimidated by it. My over active immagination would look at a Stephen King book for example and just be freaked out by what I THOUGHT MIGHT be in store for me. I dunno, so I guess I always had a fascination with scary stuff and when I finally started to read or watch horror stories, it just revved me up.

So I don't know if this really counts as a twisted childhood or not, but I suppose I'm one of those who gets a big thrill from all things macabre. :-)

message 41: by Justin (new)

Justin (justineaton) | 1099 comments I had a stuffed 'my pet monster's it was my favorite toy but at night I throw him off the bed.

message 42: by Ken B (new)

Ken B | 6474 comments Justin wrote: "I had a stuffed 'my pet monster's it was my favorite toy but at night I throw him off the bed."

For some reason, I had one of those sitting on my bookshelf in college. Not sure where it came from....or where it went....

message 43: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments D. wrote: "Hmmmm..."In search of" and "Unsolved Mysteries" seem to have had a big impacet on kids of the late seventies and early eighties."

Don John wrote: "Unsolved Mysteries terrified me as a kid. Robert Stack knocked it out of the park every episode with that creepy voice."

I loved these shows. Led me to loving American Justice with Bill Curtis and that voice like buttah.

message 44: by Cassie (new)

Cassie  (CassieVylon) | 70 comments There were many things that twisted my childhood. So many. Depending if you count being a teen is still part of your childhood, then I still have just over a year to finish up. xD
But anyway, some major things: seeing the demons haunting my favorite cemetery, being haunted by those demons, remembering some pretty grpahic things from my past lives, and uhh.... way more. xD

message 45: by Char (last edited Sep 20, 2012 07:20AM) (new)

I love Bill Curtis' voice.
Ken, I checked out the In Search Of video. Very creepy!

I just remembered one of the drive in horror movies that scared me- Burnt Offerings.
The chauffeur in that movie freaked me out with his sunglasses and big teeth.

message 46: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismccaffrey) | 582 comments Burnt Offerings is on Netflix. Now I want to watch it.

message 47: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I was scared of Burnt Offerings, too!

message 48: by Keith (new)

Keith Chawgo (kchawgo) When I was young, McDonald commercials freaked me out. Ronald McDonald, Hamburgler and Grimace or whatever that purple thing was. I used to scream every time it came on and then freak out every time we drove by a McDonalds. I still have the clown phobia and the irrational part of my mind thinks they are psychotic killers.

God only knows where that stems from as this was long before 'IT'.

message 49: by D. (new)

D. Hilliard (dnathanhilliard) | 30 comments God only knows where that stems from as this was long before 'IT'.

Well, I'm pretty sure that the creature from IT was not the original scary clown. You could have run into one earlier, maybe even on something as simple as Scooby Doo. Besides, I'm not sure that all kids need to be exposed to "bad clowns" to think of them as scary. I think some kids just interpret what they see differently when they meet them for the first time. They see a guy whose face is all different than the way it should be, and he is showing an alarming interest in getting into their space.

message 50: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismccaffrey) | 582 comments I remember getting birthday party performers for my kids when they were younger. This company had a magician or a clown. They asked me how old my daughter was. She was like 4 at the time. He said clowns scare the crap out of most little kids so we went with the magician. Clowns are weird. They have masks so we really can't tell what is really going on.

By the way Keith, you should check out Killer Clowns from Outer Space. Classic cheesy movie. Great soundtrack--some band even wrote a song with the same title for the movie.

« previous 1 3 4 5