Classics Without All the Class discussion

181 views
What else are you reading? > Graphic Novels

Comments (showing 1-25 of 25) (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jeane, Book-tator (last edited Sep 18, 2012 05:08PM) (new)

Jeane (Pinkbookdragon) | 323 comments I think that a few of us are also interested in graphic novels! For those of you who don't know, graphic novels are a media of literature. They convey their story in artwork as well as writing. Many are critically acclaimed, including Maus I: My Father Bleeds History and WatchmenWatchmen. While it may seem like these are just comic books, they are not, but graphic novels can take the form of a collection of comic books together. Actually there are several different types of graphic novel including comic book collections, and manga. I think it would be safe to say that every comic book can be a graphic novel but every graphic novel is not a comic book. Please feel free to share your graphic novel experience with us!

I just finished Locke and Key, Vol. 2: Head Games, and have started reading Maximum Ride, Vol. 1 and a fantastic, FANTASTIC book Womanthology: Heroic.


message 2: by Sally (new)

Sally Morral | 17 comments Finished Walking Dead this summer. Now I'm ready for the show.


message 3: by Jeane, Book-tator (new)

Jeane (Pinkbookdragon) | 323 comments Sally wrote: "Finished Walking Dead this summer. Now I'm ready for the show."

You finished all of them? Wow! What did you think?


message 4: by Karena (new)

Karena (karenafagan) I just read the GN for Becoming by Kelley Armstrong. Interesting to see visuals for a book I'd already read. I need to get Fever Moon by Karen Marie Moning.


message 5: by Jeane, Book-tator (new)

Jeane (Pinkbookdragon) | 323 comments Karena wrote: "I just read the GN for Becoming by Kelley Armstrong. Interesting to see visuals for a book I'd already read. I need to get Fever Moon by Karen Marie Moning."

Totally know what you're saying Karena! I am reading the GN for Maximum Ride and I've read the novel. I really enjoy seeing the visuals! I want to read the Wheel of Time GN really bad too!


message 6: by Sally (new)

Sally Morral | 17 comments Jeane wrote: "Sally wrote: "Finished Walking Dead this summer. Now I'm ready for the show."

You finished all of them? Wow! What did you think?"


No. I only got caught up and a little beyond because I want to be surprised for the next season. It was okay. We find it's popular at the Library. I asked BW to get for the Library. I can't wait for her answer.


message 7: by Jeane, Book-tator (new)

Jeane (Pinkbookdragon) | 323 comments Sally wrote: "Jeane wrote: "Sally wrote: "Finished Walking Dead this summer. Now I'm ready for the show."

You finished all of them? Wow! What did you think?"

No. I only got caught up and a little beyond becaus..."


I can't wait to see her answer too! That is a topic we touched on a little in one of my classes. How librarians use their own biases to regulate what comes into the libraries.


message 8: by Sally (new)

Sally Morral | 17 comments Our integrity should eliminate most biases. We should focus on what patrons are asking for. I am curious of the discussions on that subject in your class.


message 9: by Karena (new)

Karena (karenafagan) Soulless The Manga, Vol. 1 (The Parasol Protectorate Manga) by Gail Carriger I just saw they have a graphic novel. Sounds interesting.


message 10: by Bian (new)

Bian | 34 comments Just finished Gunslinger Girl Vol 7 by Yu Aidaand started Gunslinger Girl, Vol. 8 by Yu Aida. I really want to get my hands on R.O.D. Read or Die (Volume 1) by Hideyuki Kurata.


message 11: by Samantha (last edited Jan 24, 2013 12:14PM) (new)

Samantha Glasser I really liked Blankets, which was a coming-of-age romance graphic novel. I'm not really into the superhero crime-fighter stuff so my options are limited but that one impressed me. Maus was great too.


message 12: by Alex (new)

Alex Cross (anotheralexcross) I read a few monthly comics (Chew, Fables, The Walking Dead) and I'm part-way through the archives of a couple Brian K. Vaughan comics (Y: The Last Man and Ex-Machina).

As for original graphic novels, I enjoy the travelogue-cum-journalism of Guy Delisle where I started with Pyongyang: A Journey in North Korea and I also own Burma Chronicles. Logicomix: An Epic Search for Truth is a semi-biography of Bertrand Russell and the madness of mathematicians and highly recommended, while I recently took delivery of Building Stories and don't know what to do.


message 13: by Travis sivarT (last edited Jan 25, 2013 04:19AM) (new)

Travis sivarT (TravissivarT) d next month a group I'm in will read V for Vendetta. And I've been trying to find a copy of Oblivion that the movie is based onWatchmen I own but still need to read


message 14: by Karu (new)

Karu I wasn't a fan of this gendre until I met my boyfriend, and he introduced me to watchmen, 300 or V for vendetta.

I've just finished Marjane Satrapi's "Chicken with plums". It's a very very sad story, but I think I liked it even more than Persepolis. It has a narrative that jumps back in time or even makes flashfowards. And even when you know the ending since page 10 it still suprises you.

Really beautiful.

Besides TWD (cause I'm just not into zombies right now), what could you recomend me?


message 15: by Laura (new)

Laura (lmcb) | 140 comments Maus is amazing. No matter how many times I go back and re-read it, it will never be enough.

I'm eagerly awaiting The Thrilling Adventures of Lovelace and Babbage. For now, I make due with the web comic.

I really got into the Sandman series. The first GN I ever read was by Neil Gaiman: Black Orchid (with Dave McKean). It's still one of my favorites. I'd like to read their Signal to Noise.

After reading Watchmen, I've enjoyed some other Alan Moore works, particularly the Promethea series (Promethea, Vol. 1 et al.) and From Hell.

I think Lynd Ward's wordless woodcut novels are amazing and would include them in this category. I'd also include some of Edward Gorey's work, particularly The Unstrung Harp.

I admire Craig Thompson's work. His Blankets and Carnet de Voyage were wonderful reads. And there's The Golem's Mighty Swing by James Sturm. Authors Harvey Pekar, Lynda Barry, and Frank Miller are also favorites.

Marjane Satrapi (Persepolis), Chris Ware (Jimmy Corrigan, the Smartest Kid on Earth), Will Eisner (A Contract With God and Other Tenement Stories), and Joe Hill (Locke and Key) are on my to-read list.

Other works that have been recommended to me are: Fungus the Bogeyman, Sturm's Cereal Killings comic book series, the Girl Genius series (Girl Genius, Vol. 1: Agatha Heterodyne and the Beetleburg Clank, ...), and From Inside (which I've been been putting off because it's supposed to be very, very dark).


message 16: by Jeane, Book-tator (new)

Jeane (Pinkbookdragon) | 323 comments Samantha wrote: "I really liked Blankets, which was a coming-of-age romance graphic novel. I'm not really into the superhero crime-fighter stuff so my options are limited but that one impressed me. Maus was great too."

Blankets was really good. It took me by surprise really. I mean how real-life!


message 17: by Jeane, Book-tator (new)

Jeane (Pinkbookdragon) | 323 comments Alex wrote: "I read a few monthly comics (Chew, Fables, The Walking Dead) and I'm part-way through the archives of a couple Brian K. Vaughan comics (Y: The Last Man and Ex-Machina).

As for original graphic n..."


Alex, have you read Saga, Vol. 1 yet? I just started it. I am a new mother of a daughter so in a weird way I think I'm going to be able to relate to it really well. Also Pride of Baghdad? I was unable to finish this one, I got way to squeamish. Brian Vaughn is an incredible writer!


message 18: by Jeane, Book-tator (new)

Jeane (Pinkbookdragon) | 323 comments Adam wrote: "I don't read that many graphic novels. However, there are a couple of them that are excellent enough to keep my attention.

The Sandman, Vol. 1: Preludes and Nocturnes

ElfQuest 1: Fire and Flight
..."


I read most of the ElfQuest series. I got hooked!

I love Neil Gaiman, and I have read most of his novels, but for some reason Sandman did not resinate with me. I found it too dark and disturbing (really only the part in the Cafe). Vol. 1 barely had Death in it, and from what I understand she is worth reading the rest of the series for. Maybe I'll give it another shot later on in life when I have time.


message 19: by Agnese (new)

Agnese Hi everybody! I'm Agnese from Italy and I'm going to start reading "Sandman" by Neil Gaiman. I'm really excited :)

p.s. ..and now I'm going to introduce myself in the welcome thread as suggested!


message 20: by Jeane, Book-tator (new)

Jeane (Pinkbookdragon) | 323 comments Agnese wrote: "Hi everybody! I'm Agnese from Italy and I'm going to start reading "Sandman" by Neil Gaiman. I'm really excited :)

p.s. ..and now I'm going to introduce myself in the welcome thread as suggested!"


LOL! Awesome Agnese! Welcome! I hope you enjoy the Sandman series!


message 21: by Aimee (new)

Aimee Franklin | 7 comments Persepolis is an excellent read. I also love Owly (it's for kids, but it's just so dang cute!) My son & I are also big fans of the Buffy graphic novels.


message 22: by Agnese (new)

Agnese Aimee wrote: "Persepolis is an excellent read. I also love Owly (it's for kids, but it's just so dang cute!) My son & I are also big fans of the Buffy graphic novels."

I'd like to read Persepolis too. My husband gave me this graphic novel as a gift and I'll read it as soon as possible. The movie is interesting as well (actually, it's very similar to the graphic novel..).

@Jeane : Thank you Jeane!Yesterday night I've read almost half of the first volume.Great plot and wonderful drawings..amazing!


message 23: by Connor (new)

Connor Dempsey | 12 comments I've done a loooot of reading graphic novels in the last half a year or so. I can say that the Sin City series written and drawn by Frank Miller are some of the best noir stories I've experienced in any medium.

The greatest of all graphic novels, the epic Sandman series from Neil Gaiman, are a must read for any lover of stories of all ages. Seriously, they are ridiculously good!


message 24: by Jeane, Book-tator (new)

Jeane (Pinkbookdragon) | 323 comments Connor wrote: "I've done a loooot of reading graphic novels in the last half a year or so. I can say that the Sin City series written and drawn by Frank Miller are some of the best noir stories I've experienced i..."

I'm going to have to give Sandman another go! I gave up after the first one because the cafe scene disturbed me so much! I'll give it another shot though.

Sin City is awesome! I hope they do more movies cause I would love to see more of the Dwight story!


message 25: by Karena (new)

Karena (karenafagan) Jeane wrote: "Connor wrote: "I've done a loooot of reading graphic novels in the last half a year or so. I can say that the Sin City series written and drawn by Frank Miller are some of the best noir stories I'v..."

There is a new Sin City coming out in October


back to top