Eragon (The Inheritance Cycle, #1) Eragon discussion

Is the book better then the movie?

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jared i watched the movie and was not overly thrilled bout it and it really put me off from reading the books should i give them a chance?

Cayra Absolutely. The movie is a disgrace to the books. Given, the books do move a little slow, but they are very good.

message 3: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Hoffman Jared wrote: "i watched the movie and was not overly thrilled bout it and it really put me off from reading the books should i give them a chance?"

Personally, I preferred the movie to the book. I thought the book was a little on the boring side, and I thought it was poorly written. Not to mention it sounds like every other dragon book ever written. Yes, the movie wasn't the greatest, but it had Jeremy Irons and Garrett Hedlund in it, so that was one thing I enjoyed about it. You'll have to read the book for yourself though, because I know a bunch of people preferred the books.

Jared I'm a guy so i didn't like the movie because of the male cast.

Sarah I loved the book and it was way better then the movie. Some people find the book slow at first and never finish it and others think it is simply amazing. It just depends on the types of books you are used to reading.

Tina The book is way better than the movie. If I had seen the movie before reading the books, I probably wouldn't have read the book either. Just keep in mind that Eragon is the shortest book in the series.

Rosie No comparison--book so much better than the movie. The movie was a disappointment!

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I really did hate the movie, it was terrible acting. nothing was the same, and the effects weren't that good. Read the books. I literally read them in 3rd grade and waiting till 8th grade to get the last book, was both worth it and a let down at the same time

Thesauceboss the book was way better then the movie.the movie missed a lot of good parts and never really alked about elfs

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

ELVES!

sorry i had to say that.... I'm not a grammer nazi or anything, twas just necessary....

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

er...usually i'd say the books are better, but in this instance, i don't think there is much of a difference. the book was boring at times, similarly the movie did have some sad effects.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

rawr? wrote: "er...usually i'd say the books are better, but in this instance, i don't think there is much of a difference. the book was boring at times, similarly the movie did have some sad effects."

That's okay, I get where you're coming from, but I liked the 'boring' parts too for some reason

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

well usually the boring parts tend to give the most details etc. and than tends to make the book more...realistic; but idk, I guess I just felt as though somethings could have been omitted.

Loubird The books are awesome but i hate the movie they leave out the best parts

message 15: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa The book is definitely better than the movie. They both have times when they aren't as exciting but the book is quite good. I would recommend it.

Jared thanks for all the comments!

Mafalda Jared wrote: "i watched the movie and was not overly thrilled bout it and it really put me off from reading the books should i give them a chance?"

YES! The movie SUCKS but the books are awesome!!

Sarel Boshoff No comparison, to many details were left out in the movie that are important in the next book. Bad acting didn't help either.
book rating *****
movie Rating *

do NOT watch the movie, read the book. You will not be disappointed.

Arlene Nang I think that the movie pretty much mangled the book. I'm just glad that I didn't bother shelling out the moolah to watch it in the theater.

message 20: by Anna (last edited Oct 02, 2012 12:25PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna Hell, Yes! Just the thought of Safira's voice makes me wince! - though at times Paolini's age and inexperience does show through in the books. And, if you don't like epic fantasy don't bother!

message 21: by John (last edited Oct 02, 2012 07:47PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

John I was a huge fan of the book and when I saw the movie in theater I absolutely hated it. It was so unfaithful to the book it just ruined the movie for me.

Jessica Jared wrote: "i watched the movie and was not overly thrilled bout it and it really put me off from reading the books should i give them a chance?"

The movie was awful. Not only did it not follow the books 90% of the time, they poorly developed the plotline and characters. They didn't give the elves elf ears. I didn't like it, though I bought it because I loved the books. Yes, the books have substance, but you get to read more, and it is not just a bunch of fluff.

Also, the dragon in the book does not magically grow into an adult all of a sudden. She is so cute as a baby dragon, and you get to read about it!

Jessica Arlene wrote: "I think that the movie pretty much mangled the book. I'm just glad that I didn't bother shelling out the moolah to watch it in the theater."

I did, and then later my friend and I ranted about how bad it was. The funny thing is, they made the ending to set you up for the next movie. That never came because the first probably got so many bad ratings.

message 24: by Lu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lu The book is so so so much better! The movie was awful, it's no surprise they didn't make a sequel.

Stephanie I read all four books without watching the movie. According to my husband, that was a wise decision. I loved the books; I am a fan of super long books and series of books, so this series was perfect for me.

I think that someone should try to make movies from this series, perhaps learning from the first movie's failures.

Capucine I absolutely loved the books, but the movie is not that good... I understand why they did not continue to make movies given the "success" it didn't gain. But I wish one day I'll see what technology can make and how Glaedr will look like.

message 27: by Sena (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sena loved the books.
I hope the movies will continues oneday.

message 28: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Taylor I loved the books. The movie was nothing compared to the books...they took so much out it just didn't even compare. If you're a fan of fantasy, I'd give the books a chance. I loved them.

message 29: by Ela (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ela You have not experienced Eragon until you have read the books.
Love it or hate it, it is completely in a different league to the film, there is no comparison.

The thing that really annoys me about the film is that they screw up the Dragon/rider relationship...
In the film it's depicted as a master/servant thing whereas in the books it's all about teamwork.

Fractalhead I hate both. the book is so boring (i only read the first one and it's horrible!), same as the movie.

James The book is better than the movie for sure. The movie didn't even show why I love these books in the first place.

Rachael YES YES YES! I only watched the film version of Eragon once and that was more than enough. There are so many things wrong with it and now that the whole series has been published, Eragon needs to be remade in order to include some very vital plot points.
I might have been able to overlook the fact that the characters in the film aren't as described in the book but there are too many other things that make me vehemently dislike the film. In particular, as Ela pointed out above, the dragon/Rider relationship was completely messed up. And don't get me started on how quickly Saphira grew into an adult dragon.
On Tumblr, I made a post, or more accurately I had a rant, about Eragon the film. Even though the film spoiled the story, I am not giving spoilers about Eragon here but this is the link to my rant: http://allons-y-sweeties.tumblr.com/p....
I recommend the book to everyone but aggressively warn them against watching the movie. The book is by far better than the film in this case.

Rachael Jared wrote: "i watched the movie and was not overly thrilled bout it and it really put me off from reading the books should i give them a chance?"

Definitely read the books! They are worth it and will make you forget about the atrocious film.

message 34: by Sparrowlicious (last edited Aug 14, 2014 12:03AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Sparrowlicious Both were pretty horrendous. People should also stop recommending the books to anyone. There are so many better books for young readers.

message 35: by Alex (new) - rated it 4 stars

Alex The Ninja Squirrel Sparrowlicious wrote: "Both were pretty horrendous. People should also stop recommending the books to anyone. There are so many better books for young readers."

Personally, I think that if a young reader wants to enjoy a book involving dragons, he/she should probably pick up Game of Thrones instead. I've been recommending the series to kids in my neighborhood, and the results are great - it desensitizes them to the kind of violence that could potentially result in severe childhood trauma if witnessed in real life, plus it saves the parents the awkwardness of having to give their children "The Sex Talk."

Văn Tuyên i agree. this movie is totally bad. i have watched 1 time and never never watch again any more

message 37: by Anne (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anne the movie is absolutely a disgrace to the actual story, but the book is sooooooo goooood!!!!!!!

Austin Combs The book is a lot better than the movie

Cheri The movie was horrible, the whole way through I was muttering 'that never happened'. One of the things that annoyed me the most was Saphira suddenly becoming a full grown adult. One of the things I enjoyed was Saphira growing and bonding with Eragon, also the name choosing was a fun scene in the book but in the movie Saphira apparently already had her name.
The book is waaaaaay better then the movie, although granted the actor who plays Eragon is damn cute. Doesn't make up for it though.

Emily Movie? What movie? What are you talking about?
*hums in ignorance*

Samuel you should read the book compared to the movie the book is like 500 times better