dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl | 123 comments Novels

Where Angels Fear to Tread (1905)
The Longest Journey (1907)
A Room with a View (1908)
Howards End (1910)
A Passage to India (1924)
Maurice (written in 1913–14, published posthumously in 1971)
Arctic Summer (an incomplete fragment, written in 1912–13, published posthumously in 2003)
Book of Love

Short stories

The Celestial Omnibus (and other stories) (1911)
The Eternal Moment and other stories (1928)
Collected Short Stories (1947) (a combination of the above
two titles)
The Life to Come and other stories (1972) (posthumous)

Plays and pageants

Abinger Pageant (1934)
England's Pleasant Land (1940)

Film scripts

A Diary for Timothy (1945)

Libretto

Billy Budd (1951) (with Eric Crozier; based on Melville's novel, for the opera by Benjamin Britten)

Collections of essays and broadcasts

Abinger Harvest (1936)
Two Cheers for Democracy (1951)

Literary criticism

Aspects of the Novel (1927)
The Feminine Note in Literature (posthumous) (2001)

Biography

Goldsworthy Lowes Dickinson (1934)
Marianne Thornton, A Domestic Biography (1956)

Travel writing

Alexandria: A History and Guide (1922)
Pharos and Pharillon (A Novelist's Sketchbook of Alexandria Through the Ages) (1923)
The Hill of Devi (1953)

Miscellaneous writings

Selected Letters (1983–85)
Commonplace Book (fascimile ed. 1978; edited by Philip Gardner, 1985)
Locked Diary (2007) (held at King's College, Cambridge)

----------------------------------------

I think we can all ignore the 'locked diary' at King's College, Cambridge....

The 'Billy Budd' libretto requirement may be fulfilled by either attending, or watching a video of the opera. The full opera can be seen in 22-23 separate installments on Youtube, yay.

message 2: by David (new)

David | 25 comments Completing Forster is a very good idea. Are the short stories any good?

message 3: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl | 123 comments No idea, I haven't read them! I generally dislike short stories.

message 4: by Teresa (last edited Sep 20, 2012 12:56PM) (new)

Teresa David wrote: "Completing Forster is a very good idea. Are the short stories any good?"

They aren't as good as his novels, but some are very good, some aren't, some seem very modern, and some are even very daring for the time.

I read them after I finished his novels and still wanted more. I recently read Marianne Thornton: A domestic biography, 1797-1887.

message 5: by Meg (new)

Meg  (megasaurus999) | 5 comments David wrote: "Completing Forster is a very good idea. Are the short stories any good?"

I've enjoyed the few short stories I've come across. I have a volume of his short stories "The Life to Come and Other Stories" on my to read list. I've read the title story and enjoyed it. Like many of Forster's novels, it is an indictment and exploration of British colonialism and the imposition of British bourgeois morality into other cultures. Most in this particular collection were only shared with friends and fellow writers and were left to be published posthumously because of they focus on homosexual content.

Forster quit writing because he did not feel free to write about what he cared about most, which was his sexuality. I hope to find these stories more poignant because he was writing about what he cared about most (when I find time to get to it!)

Cheers

message 6: by David (new)

David Postle | 50 comments Although I haven't read all of Forster, at least I thought I had all his works in my library, but found something I didn't previously know about at a book fair over the weekend. "Goldsworthy Lowes Dickinson".
After checking the bibliography, I didn't even know about the biographies and travel literature.