The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) The Hunger Games discussion

Help with my writing?????

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Tips: Try to start off with a hook, make a beginning that's out there, but can make lots of sense later within the paragraph. EX(from Purge):"The bathroom is a strange place for stage fright, but that's where i am and what i have." It later goes on to talk about how she has to be monitored cuz of her bulimia. out there, but makes sense.

Try reading some books about eating disorders, I've read several and they help you find a better perspective because most of the authors who wrote them experienced it themselves.

have facts, look up symptoms and what things were like when your story takes place(like what yr.)

Know what you want out of your plot. Try to think of one moment, and have your novel work towards it, this has usualy helped me get through writers block.

as far as past tense? Idk, i have a problem with my writing sounding like that too. Also be sure to give you character substance, give them opinions and thoughts so that they seem like a real person. Not doing this has been the downfall of many of my stories.

I think that's all for now. HOPE IT HELPED!:)

message 2: by Walter (last edited Sep 18, 2012 04:14PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Walter One of the most valuable pieces of writing advice I ever heard came from a movie; "Write with your heart, rewrite with your head" - Finding Forrester.

Don't worry about how it all sounds right now, get it off your chest and onto paper. Let it sit for a while and then attack it again with a clear head. Writing can be highly emotional, especially with your subject matter. Rewriting it; however, is more of a critical exercise, best left to those moments when you can detach yourself from your material and see what carries your message vs. what falls flat.

I highly recommend "On Writing" by Stephen King. Great advice for writers there. And you know what he says? READ. "If you do not have time to read, you do not have time to write."

By the way, your beginning shows promise, just keep at it, and if you're going to be getting into controversial issues, please try an get some perspective, otherwise it might come off as fake.

Best of luck to you.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I once heard a quote, Write like a reader, Read like a writer.
Also, all of my chapter have to go through stages. Look over you work at least three times, but not in a row. Be sure to step away for a bit then come back, this will help you catch things you didn't or couldn't before.

Tricia Drammeh I agree with Argento. Don't get hung up on the beginning. Just get your story on paper. You can always revise. Good luck.

Jeni Feven, this sounds like it can be really great! Keep writing! Write, write, write!!

My two cents:

The hardest part of writing is getting the entire idea down on paper. I agree with others here. I just did the three-day novel contest and it was amazing to have a complete, albeit VERY rough draft of an entire book done. Now, I'm spending time editing and tweaking and it's much nicer than editing while you write the initial thoughts (which generally leaves me with half-completed manuscripts!).

Think about your characters, your setting, your motivations. Find out all you can about symptoms of this disease, but also remember that anorexia (as were most disorders) was treated differently in the 70s than it is treated now. Be aware of the cultural sayings, ("Groovy" was popular, but "Rad" and "Awesome" weren't around yet!), the clothing (platform shoes and lots of hair!), and most of all, the way African-Americans were viewed.

It would have been blisteringly awful to be black in the south in the early 70s, but not as bad in say, Washington or Maine. Find people who remember the 70s and ask what it was like. Don't be afraid to alter the time if it seems too daunting.

Stephen King's "On Writing" is a must read. Also, "Story Engineering" by Larry Brooks should become your bible. Also, spend time learning who your characters are and develop back stories, story arcs (where you want their story to go), and motivations.

I also remember advice given to me by Bobbi Smith (romance writer). She said "If the publisher isn't hooked and interested in your story by the end of that first half page of your manuscript, they won't bother to look at the second page."

Hook the reader, do your research, and get it all down. You like reading, you have great insight into stories (from your posts on GR that I've seen), and you want to write. Sounds like a winning combination to me! Good luck and write! (Sorry this was so long!)

message 6: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 19, 2012 06:28AM) (new)

Okay so I have been writing for a couple years now and this story is an area that I think I would have familiarity with. It isn't a happy story and I write now am working on a short novel about a girl being sexually and physically abused. So to be honest the beginning of your story has a nice feel, but the flow is off. Good words, but the combination is not well done. That said I really like your idea.
My advice?DON'T RESEARCH! people will tell you to but for me I got to caught up in the technicalities that the story was overruled. So find some moody music(not kidding it helps) and just start writing. Writer's block?Walk away for awhile. Read a book, go for a walk but always have paper in your hand. Then once you start writing, get it all out, this girl is in pain so she will have some self loathing. And the 1970s? be brief in your description. Once you feel confident you have YOUR STORY, then you can research and add in details. Feel free to message me anytime. As writers we are all in this together.

And here: I am pretty good at this kind of thing- http://www.writing.com/main/view_item...

Shweta why in the 1970's?
the startings okay but make the character an actual person.

Jeni Just an additional note about research. If you want your character to behave naturally and appropriately, you should definitely do SOME basic research to get a feel for where you are putting them.

I'm not talking about enough research to write a thesis on 1970s San Francisco, but if you spend a lot of time writing out an outline with dialogue based on what you think it was like back then, and then go back with your research in hand only to find out you need to make HUGE edits to correct misconceptions, you will have spent a lot of time writing on two ends.

I'm a huge proponent of "spending a bit of time prepping the food to save time cooking." Limit your research if you are afraid you'll fall into a trap of minutiae.

Tell yourself you want three samples of clothes, hair, and slang use. Since you are going to be addressing anorexia and, I'm presuming treatment, I think you shouldn't assume you know what happened unless you went through it as a child in the 70s.

Research is not a bad thing and your characters will be more filled out and comfy in the space you are creating for them. Don't get bogged down in it, but don't ignore it.

Greta my response is really to your second and fourth questions.
about anorexia. a lot of people in the OA (overeater's anonymous) community feel that it's really just another form of food addiction. I might look into what the 12 steps are, and maybe your character's journey to recovery (if that's what you're intending for her) can loosely follow those steps.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Write down words you like, phrases, anything, just to get the creative juices flowing. Make up something that makes no sense, pick out bits you like, elaborate on them and build it into a whole web of words and phrases. tie them together and agree and disagree and work out what sounds good. You never know, you might get an idea!
})i({

Kirby I think you should check out this group- you'd find a lot of help there!

http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/7...

Jenelle You've got a lot of good suggestions here.

On combating the insidious writer's block: have you tried freewriting? Just sit down with a pen and paper and write whatever pops into your head. Don't worry about punctuation, grammar, complete sentences, just start writing as thoughts flow to you, don't bother finishing the thought if another one comes too quickly, switch to the new thought and move on. This can be very helpful to get your creativity flowing. Obviously, you're not going to end up with a masterpiece at the end of 1-5 minutes, but you might get an image or an idea that sparks your ability to move on to something more structured (a poem or your story).

Bekah Loker I agree with everyone-- just write your thoughts down for now. But then later when you are revising it, I would read it out loud to make sure that it is readable. My judge of a good book is whether it can be read aloud.

Gabby W-R-I-T-E!!!

Simple as that. If you really love writing- than just do it! No one should get in your way. and awesome excerpt, by the way :)

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

The Hunger Games (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Bobbi Smith (other topics)