Classical Mythology discussion

By Modern Authors > The Song of Achilles (General Discussion)

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SJ (new)

SJ | 4 comments Mod
Has anyone read The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller? If so, what did you think of it? Did you like/dislike the interpretation of the Homeric story/characters?

message 2: by Zoe (new)

Zoe (myfinest_hour) At the moment I'm on page 310 out of 352. :) I'm thinking it's one of the best books I've ever read. I've already been snivelling and raiding the tissue box. I think Achilles and especially Patroclus are beautifully drawn characters, the writing is exquisite and has certainly re-ignited a childhood love for the Greek gods and mythology.

message 3: by Marci (new)

Marci Mac (marcimac) I loved her interpretation. Her language was beautiful and the love that she portrayed between Patroclus and Achilles was touching and well done. Though some scenes made me a bit uncomfortable, I loved the character development, the look into Patroclus and Achilles' past, and the unfolding of the story we all know from the eyes of Patroclus.

message 4: by Allison (new)

Allison (happysted) | 1 comments I loved it! As most of you would know, the Iliad is a confusing and hard book to get through. I felt like this gave the book a much more modern twist to it. (id est, the language and the gay romance :P) I also like how it was from Patroclus's point of view, because we don't hear much of him during the Iliad until book 21 or so.

message 5: by SJ (new)

SJ | 4 comments Mod
What I think I liked most is how adorable she made the main characters. Its rare to find that in a narrative about the Trojan War, so I found it really refreshing. Also, Diomedes, my favorite character from the Iliad, was in it and most people usually ignore his existence.

message 6: by Scarlett (last edited Mar 22, 2015 06:24PM) (new)

Scarlett (scarlettletters) Madeline Miller wrote a breathtakingly beautiful novel, and I devoured it in two days. I was glad to find a book depicting the relationship between Achilles and Patroclus which is usually glossed over, implied, or simply ignored in a lot of other books.
The only complaint I have is Miller's characterization of Achilles. He was not one dimensional, but I feel as if she did not quite capture the essence of Achilles. Having read/watched many interviews of hers it seems to me that he goal was to stay fairly close to the Homer's world. Homer's Achilles has many faults, which is what makes him so compelling as a hero. I wish we could have seen more of his stubbornness, his rage, etc. Instead I feel as if we got a perfect Achilles instead of a more nuanced character.
All of this complaining makes it sound as if I did not like the book, but I really did. I felt she wrote a very rich world, and it was a joy to read. Patroclus' voice was extremely compelling, and it was about time somebody wrote a story in his voice.
Miller has started writing her next book, this time it's about Odysseus and I simply cannot wait for her to finish.