Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > New York City Smells Like Maple Syrup (Bradenton smells like oranges)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 168 (168 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by RandomAnthony (last edited Feb 06, 2009 02:40AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Could be worse!

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/02/05/NY.s...

Anyone experience any phantom smells in their locales? Every now and then we get this weird air freshener smell when the wind is from the north...we think it's from a factory...

message 2: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) When I lived in Lancaster PA there was a Twizzlers plant a few miles away. When the wind was right, the smell of strawberry in the air was really strong. It smelled pretty good, actually.

message 3: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) I remember when NYC smelled like a spilled sewer.

New Yorkers wouldn't mind the smell of maple syrup in the air. If anything, it'll just make 'em hungry for pancakes and waffles.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I work next door to a Gardners Bakery, and on the bread and cinnamon roll days its really hard to get through the day without drooling down my shirt.

message 5: by Matthieu (new)

Matthieu | 1009 comments By the time summer rolls around, Mott St. smells like sewage and perfume.

message 6: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Northern New Jersey smells like the burning landfill located along the Turnpike around Kearny/Belleville. Lovingly called Mt Trashmore.

Sweet.

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments The McCormick spice factory is in Baltimore County, and when it rains, the stretch of I-83 adjacent to the factory smells like a zesty Italian meal.

Also, if Homicide: Life on the Street had been filmed in smell-o-vision, you would know that the Fell's Point neighborhood often smells like buttery toast.

message 8: by Matthieu (new)

Matthieu | 1009 comments I haven't been to Baltimore in ages.

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments You can join everyone else when they show up for fried cheesecake in July.

message 10: by Matthieu (new)

Matthieu | 1009 comments Haha, that's awesome. I'm sure I'll be there sooner than July, though. I have quite a few friends at Hopkins that I'd like to see.

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Well then, you get your cheesecake in a more timely fashion.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, I may be in Manassas the end of March, if I feel like attending a wedding. I appears according to Yahoo maps that they are only ~ an hour and a half apart, I may get mine more timely too :-D. Do airplanes do curb side pickup, because I can't go to Baltimore without Larry.

message 13: by Matthieu (new)

Matthieu | 1009 comments We should all get together and have some fried cheesesteak, Jim.

message 14: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Cheesesteak might taste a little funny with the caramelized apples and ice cream.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Well maybe Matthew just invented a new best selling entre.

Probably not one I'd hurry to try though.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments One of the towns about half an hour south of Olympia, Chehalis, processes peppermint grown in eastern Washington. Driving past is like going through a cloud of breath freshener.

Olympia occasionally smells like low tide. Not good.

message 17: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Ticonderoga NY smells like egg farts that burn your eyes. Paper mill!

message 18: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Hmm... I don't remember Ticonderoga being smelly. We had a cabin near there when I was a kid.

message 19: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) International Paper, unless they've shut down that plant. Paper mills, no matter where they are, are gross.

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments It could just be something I've forgotten.

message 21: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17320 comments Mod
I'm pretty sure that I've shared this before, but near my town is a major meat packing factory ... perhaps you've seen/read Fast Food Nation?

Tuesday is slaughter day, always has been, and sometimes the wind blows just so - the smell of death and blood wafts over to us from the east.

message 22: by Julie (new)

Julie | 568 comments Yup. Fort Collins. There is always a cow smell there one way or another.

I live near the ocean, and you just can't escape the low-tide smelly days when you are that close to sea.

message 23: by Lori (last edited Feb 07, 2009 12:06AM) (new)

Lori Ugh Sally, that's horrible!

No distinctive smell in Seattle, except rain and damp, a general wetness.

I don't remember NY smelling anything except like garbage. hee! But I have read various news items about this smell, and the nervous evacuations, so I'm glad they can all relax and stuff themselves with pancakes now. You know, go with the flow.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Now I want pancakes...

Oh, or better still, french toast! Which brings to mind that bizarre concoction known as a Monte Cristo sandwich (speaking of Galaxy Quest). What's with the powdered sugar and the jam? Do people not realize that this is just WRONG?!?
Next thing you know, they're gonna lose all their senses and serve it with the maple syrup... Bleah!

message 25: by Lori (new)

Lori I grew up eating French toast with sprinkled sugar. I was completely gobsmacked to discover not many people do this! I'm raising my boy the right way - maple syrup on pancakes, sugar on French toast.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments It's the sugar and jam on a turkey, ham and cheese sandwich that's got ME shaking my head, Lori. Like it doesn't already have enough calories from being dipped in egg batter and FRIED.
But nooooo, we Americans aren't satisfied with that. We've got to drench it in sugar, too!

message 27: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17320 comments Mod
My sister loves French Toast. I do not.

Sweeter loves it with powdered sugar. I'd never seen such a thing.
I tried to dip toast in egg and fry it for them.

Blech.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

I only like butter on french toast and pancakes. I make exceptions for waffles.

message 29: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) The first time I had French toast with powdered sugar was on a train, in the dining car. There was something magical, as a kid, getting to eat a lovely meal as we rolled across the countryside of Indiana and Illinois.

*sigh*

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

That sounds pretty great. I used to take the train to see a friend in high school before I got a car. It was great riding through the Columbia River Gorge--so pretty!

message 31: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I think I left my heart in the Columbia River Gorge. I could easily live out my allotted days there.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

It's pretty incredible. I climbed Dog Mountain last Spring and the views are amazing.

message 33: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) :::glows green with envy:::

message 34: by Matthieu (new)

Matthieu | 1009 comments I'm in NYC at the moment. No strange scents at present.

message 35: by Félix (last edited Feb 07, 2009 08:33AM) (new)

Félix (habitseven) I'm lucky, though, that I get to go there (CRG) for work sometimes.

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

message 37: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Matthew wrote: "I'm in NYC at the moment. No strange scents at present."

Keep us apprised, Matthew, please. We expect an update at the first hint of mapley odor.

message 38: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) A definite thumbs up!

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

That was only halfway up the mountain. Even on a partly cloudy day, it was amazing.

message 40: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I'm there.

message 41: by Dan (new)

Dan Schwent (akagunslinger) Lori wrote: "I grew up eating French toast with sprinkled sugar. I was completely gobsmacked to discover not many people do this! I'm raising my boy the right way - maple syrup on pancakes, sugar on French toast."

My mom always put powdered sugar on French Toast. It wasn't until I was about ten that I saw anyone put syrup on it.

Lately when I make French toast, I cut the bread in half and put jelly in the middle before I dip it in the egg and throw it in the pan. Be careful of molten jelly if you attempt this.

message 42: by Félix (last edited Feb 07, 2009 10:14AM) (new)

Félix (habitseven) Here's a Columbia River Gorge sunset I snapped.

[image error]

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

message 46: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Excellent.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I love the yoga pose, Sarah! Very guru-like, it shows how deep and spiritual you are, which is a side of you I think some people might overlook.

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes, I'm sort of a bodhisattva.

message 49: by Lori (new)

Lori I can NOT believe I still haven't made it to the Columbia River Gorge.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I've only driven through, and bought cherries in Hood River, Lori.

« previous 1 3 4
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.