College Students! discussion

music, movies, tv, etc. > lyrics... and song descriptions?

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nools (last edited Apr 25, 2009 05:02PM) (new)

Nools | 145 comments This is mostly because I want to know what you guys are listening to these days. I know it's not too far off from the rather overdone "favorite quotes!" lists, but I think there is something distinguishing about lyrics from strictly written lit, and it's one way I can look into listening to new stuff with a vague idea of whether or not I'll like it. I am of the opinion that you CAN judge a song by it's lyrics about 90% of the time (this is of songs that HAVE lyrics, of course). Also, I like sharing pretty things. ^^;

Guidelines: Keep it short. Something brief and telling, preferably not the entire freaking song unless it's short? Artist and song-title, too? Multiple songs = very much welcome, for sure.

I'm sorry, people who only listen to instrumentals. I want to know what you like, too. Um. How about you can list works and anywhere from three words to a paragraph on why you like it? If it's even possible to translate music into words.... which sounds pretty pretentious, so I'll give it a shot first as to hopefully help others feel like less of an ass when attempting. : /

1. "After the fall there will be no more countries, no currencies at all. We're gonna live on our wits. We're gonna throw away survival kits, trade butterfly-knives for adderal. And that's not all: there will be snacks, there will."
(Andrew Bird, Tables and Chairs)

2. "I'll be the fire escape that's bolted to the ancient brick where you will sit and contemplate your day. ...I'll be the phonograph that plays your favorite albums back as you're lying there, drifting off to sleep."
(The Postal Service, Brand New Colony)

3. "And you read your Emily Dickinson -- and I my Robert Frost -- and we note our place with bookmarkers that measure what we've lost. Like a poem poorly written: we are verses out of rhythm; couplets out of rhyme, in syncopated time; lost in the dangling conversation, and the superficial sighs are the borders of our lives."
(Simon and Garfunkel, The Dangling Conversation)

4. Chopin Prelude in E Minor (Rubinstein)
Though the piece is popularly interpreted as painfully slow and sensitive, I love the way Rubinstein plunges into the piece with such skill, restraint, and a sort of delicate bravado (if you'll pardon such a contradiction), with just the right relatively understated rubato. I am a fan of minimalism, though I rarely manage it myself. : );

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I love this song, and the Restarts version of it: BIG ROCK CANDY MOUNTAIN

One evening as the sun went down and the jungle fires were burning
Down a track came a hobo hiking and he said boys Im not turning
Im headed for a land thats far away beside the crystal fountain
So come with me and well go see the Big Rock Candy Mountain

In the Big Rock Candy Mountain theres a land thats fair and bright
Where the handouts grow on bushes and you sleep out everynight
Where the boxcars are all empty and the sun shines everyday
and the birds and the bees and the cigarette trees the lemonade springs where the bluebirds sing all sorts of different fucking things in the Big Rock Candy Mountain

In the Big Rock Candy Mountain all the cops have wooden legs
The bulldogs all have rubber teeth and the hens lay soft boiled eggs
The farmers trees are full of fruit and the barns are full of hay
Oh Im bound to go where there aint no snow where the rain dont fall and the wind dont blow where the grass plants grow and the nihilists go in th Big Rock Candy Mountain.

In the Big Rock Candy Mountain you never change your socks
and the little streams of alkyhol come trickling down the rocks
The breakmen have to tip their hats and the railroad bulls are blind
Theres a lake of stew and whisky too, you can paddle all around em in a big canoe
You can do whatever you want to do in the Big Rock Candy Mountain

In the Big Rock Candy Mountain all the jails are made of tin
and you can walk right out again as soon as you are in
There no short handled shovels no axes saws or picks
Im gonna stay where you sleep all day where they hung the jerk that invented work and Ill see you all this coming fall in the Big Rock Candy Mountain room for all - now fuck off!

message 3: by Frances (new)

Frances Davidson (freakfornature) | 38 comments i LOVE the big rock candy mountain, i didn't realize until a few years ago it wasn't 'just' a children's song. it actually promotes a few "bad" habits. lol

message 4: by Mandee (last edited Apr 23, 2009 11:36AM) (new)

Mandee (amandalinajanel) | 378 comments Yeah, that was in one of my children's poem books that I had when I was like 7 or so. It was one of my favorites. My mom was cool with it, but she used it as a teaching moment, too.