Completists' Club discussion

Haruki Murakami
This topic is about Haruki Murakami
Authors M-P > Haruki Murakami

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephen M (new)

Stephen M | 41 comments Much less popular among the loftier-lit crowd, I am an ardent follower nonetheless. Anyone going for their Murakami certificate? I'm only two novels, and two nonfiction books away from completion.

message 2: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 148 comments Me, me!!!

message 3: by Nate D (new)

Nate D (rockhyrax) | 120 comments I'm a somewhat inadvertant near-Completist of the fiction since he was my transition out of college and into reading-for-pleasure, at a time when I knew about two authors I liked, and so read him every other book for a while.

I'm only missing his very first, Hear the Wind Sing, though I managed to track down the equally unavailable sequel, Pinball, 1973 in the vaults of my college library on a return visit.

message 4: by Aloha (last edited Sep 18, 2012 01:03PM) (new)

Aloha | 148 comments So far, I've read:

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle
1Q84
Kafka on the Shore

I wrote a review of 1Q84 but GR can't seem to let me get to it right now. I was hoping to write a review for the other two, but writing is oh, so painful. I'm not a writer. If I ever write a book, I will be a one book wonder.

My review for 1Q84:

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

message 5: by Stephen M (new)

Stephen M | 41 comments Let's see here:

The Rat Trilogy:
Hear the Wind Sing (1979)
Pinball 1973 (1980)
A Wild Sheep Chase (1982)

Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World (1985)
Norwegian Wood (1987)
Dance Dance Dance (1988)
South of the Border, West of the Sun (1992)
The Elephant Vanishes (1993)*
The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle (1995)
Sputnik Sweetheart (1999)
Underground (2000)
After the Quake (2000)
Kafka on the Shore (2002)
After Dark (2004)
Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman (2006)*
What I Talk About When I Talk About Running (2007)
1Q84 (2009)

*English publication date.

message 6: by Stephen M (new)

Stephen M | 41 comments That's so interesting that you say that Aloha. I think your writing is wonderful. You always bring a very unique reading to the books that is great. I really like your treatment of Cloud Atlas.

message 7: by Stephen M (new)

Stephen M | 41 comments Wikipedia is also showing 4 nonfiction publications that are in Japanese only.

I can't imagine how much of his writing is not translated, so it would be a completist only in the English sense which is unfortunately not a true completion.

message 8: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 148 comments Thanks, Stephen. I'm more of a reader than a writer, but GR brought the writer out of me.

Stephen M wrote: "That's so interesting that you say that Aloha. I think your writing is wonderful. You always bring a very unique reading to the books that is great. I really like your treatment of Cloud Atlas."

message 9: by Nate D (new)

Nate D (rockhyrax) | 120 comments Dance Dance Dance is also essentially a part of the Rat Trilogy. Maybe my favorite of his, actually. I doubt there are any untranslated novels left, honestly -- he's too hot a commodity for that. Maybe a few loose stories not scooped up by Blind Willow.

message 10: by Stephen M (last edited Sep 18, 2012 01:11PM) (new)

Stephen M | 41 comments Wow, Dance Dance Dance as a favorite? Well that's good news because I still need to read it. The one thing that had me dragging my heels was the fact that the best Murakami is behind me. Hopefully I'm wrong on that.

message 11: by Stephen M (last edited Sep 18, 2012 01:13PM) (new)

Stephen M | 41 comments Thanks Ali, I already got it on message 8. And by my count it looks like 17 of them.

Saw your edit. No worries. Now people have two ways of looking at it!

message 12: by Megha (last edited Sep 18, 2012 01:20PM) (new)

Megha (hearthewindsing) | 27 comments For anyone interested in reading Pinball, 1973, there is a soft copy available here:

http://www.betz.lu/media/users/charel...

And the novel is very short. So hopefully you can finish reading before reading a soft copy starts being painful.

message 13: by Megha (last edited Sep 18, 2012 01:21PM) (new)

Megha (hearthewindsing) | 27 comments Nate wrote: "I'm a somewhat inadvertant near-Completist of the fiction since he was my transition out of college and into reading-for-pleasure, at a time when I knew about two authors I liked, and so read him e..."

I managed to find a copy of Hear the Wind Sing on amazon for $18 (I think) or so. It is a cute tiny book.

message 14: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 148 comments Have them all. Now I need to read them all.

Stephen M wrote: "Let's see here:

The Rat Trilogy:
Hear the Wind Sing (1979)
Pinball 1973 (1980)
A Wild Sheep Chase (1982)

Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World (1985)
Norwegian Wood (1987)
Dance Dance D..."

message 15: by Rise (new)

Rise I've read 13 in translation. But I think I'll stop there. After 1Q84 I've decided not to pursue completion.

message 16: by Stephen M (new)

Stephen M | 41 comments I feel you. I was very disappointed by 1Q84, but that won't stop me from reading his other great ones.

message 17: by Dharmakirti (new)

Dharmakirti | 27 comments 1Q84 was my introduction to Murakami and I really enjoyed it.

Since reading 1Q84 I've picked up Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World and The Wind Up Bird Chronicles but haven't started them yet.

message 18: by Megha (new)

Megha (hearthewindsing) | 27 comments Dharmakirti wrote: "1Q84 was my introduction to Murakami and I really enjoyed it.

Since reading 1Q84 I've picked up Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World and The Wind Up Bird Chronicles but haven't started..."

Both are good picks, DK. Hope you enjoy.

message 19: by Darwin8u (new)

Darwin8u | 46 comments I've read 10 and have (it appears) 7 to go.

1. Hear the Wind Sing
2. Pinball, 1973

A Wild Sheep Chase
Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Norwegian Wood
Dance Dance Dance

3. South of the Border, West of the Sun
4. The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle
5. Sputnik Sweetheart

Kafka on the Shore
After Dark

6. 1Q84

Short Stories:
The Elephant Vanishes
After the quake
Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman

Nonfiction:
7. Underground
What I Talk About When I Talk About Running

message 20: by Jim (new)

Jim I've only read five so far, but have enjoyed them all, and so will continue to completion. I also have A Wild Sheep Chase on the shelf, waiting to be read.

1979: Hear the Wind Sing
1980: Pinball, 1973
1982: A Wild Sheep Chase
1985: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
1987: Norwegian Wood
1988: Dance Dance Dance
1992: South of the Border, West of the Sun
1995: The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle
1999: Sputnik Sweetheart
2002: Kafka on the Shore
2004: After Dark
2009: 1Q84

Short Stories:
1993: The Elephant Vanishes
2000: After the quake
2006: Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman

Nonfiction:
1998: Underground
2007: What I Talk About When I Talk About Running

message 21: by Rise (last edited Jun 13, 2013 12:47AM) (new)

Rise Here's what I've read, and I'll probably leave it at that. I've got enough.

Novels:
1985: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
1987: Norwegian Wood
1988: Dance Dance Dance
1992: South of the Border, West of the Sun
1995: The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle (partly read)
1999: Sputnik Sweetheart
2002: Kafka on the Shore
2004: After Dark
2009: 1Q84

Short Stories:
1993: The Elephant Vanishes
2000: after the quake
2006: Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman

Nonfiction:
1998: Underground
2007: What I Talk About When I Talk About Running

message 22: by Jim (new)

Jim Rise wrote: "Here's what I've read, and I'll probably leave it at that. I've got enough.

Novels:
1985: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End o..."

If you ever decide to finish The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, we'll be reading and discussing it over in the Brain Pain group this November and December.

message 23: by Rise (new)

Rise Jim wrote: "If you ever decide to finish The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, we'll be reading and discussing it over in the Brain Pain group this November and December.
"

I'm ... tempted, esp. reading in the BP group read setting. Thanks for the heads up.

message 24: by Karen Michele (last edited Apr 23, 2015 06:07PM) (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 2 comments I've just joined this group and was thinking about completing Murakami. I have had a hard time locating copies of Hear the Wind Sing and Pinball that I could afford, so I decided to double check Amazon and guess what popped up:

http://www.amazon.com/Wind-Pinball-no...

I guess I'll work on completion once this is published in August. I'm pretty close on everything else. I only have Underground and Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman and those two early ones to go!