Debate discussion

Other Debates > Veganism/Vegetarianism

Comments Showing 1-50 of 203 (203 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by MK. (new)

MK. (HeyMatthewBK) I'm not 100% sure that this wasn't posted before, but if it was then I'm sorry. xD

Anyway, what are you're thought and opinions on this topic?

message 2: by jeeves... (last edited Feb 05, 2009 10:53PM) (new)

jeeves... | 644 comments hmm.. i have no opposition to eating meat, and i typically do eat it, but if it was a bit more possible to just eat veggies, i would, cuz meat just tastes like dead stuff to me. D:

except bacon.

bacon is the supreme being of all artery clogging foodz... :D

message 3: by MK. (last edited Feb 05, 2009 10:58PM) (new)

MK. (HeyMatthewBK) Blick, I hate it all. I hate the smell, the sound, and I bet if I ate it I'd throw up. (Not even joking) But that's just me. =D

What do you mean by 'but if it was a bit more possible to just eat veggies' you would?

message 4: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (Milkduds920) | 6408 comments I used to hate red meat. I would only eat fish and chicken. but now i am a steak fanatic! I love meat its AMAXING.

message 5: by MK. (last edited Feb 05, 2009 11:08PM) (new)

MK. (HeyMatthewBK) I just have to question this, just like I question everything else.

What do you find 'AMAZING' about it?

message 6: by jeeves... (new)

jeeves... | 644 comments Matthew Saves Your Soul wrote: "Blick, I hate it all. I hate the smell, the sound, and I bet if I ate it I'd throw up. (Not even joking) But that's just me. =D

What do you mean by 'but if it was a bit more possible to just eat ..."

oh, smell, definitely... gross..

well, like nobody else in my family will eat stuff.. like, if they have chicken, it "chicken" and that's it. no, like, sandwhich, with other stuff. just, chicken. like, so mom doesn't buy ingredients, just boring meat, or boring veggies, not stuff for like veggie soup or anything... as soon as i move out, though... only bacon shall remain..

message 7: by MK. (new)

MK. (HeyMatthewBK) Well, I am happy to hear that someone else on this group hates the smell of it. =D

And that is quite sad, what you said that you're mother doesn't get ingredients. It really is, because there is so much you can do with vegetables it's mind blowing really.
Even bacon I find disgusting now, the last time I smelt it I really almost barfed in a garbage can.

message 8: by jeeves... (new)

jeeves... | 644 comments haha, i know, like you can make so much with all the spices!! my cousin made this soup once, holy kowz it was sooo good.... like, i think it might've had chicken in it, but it wasn't chicken soup, though, cuz you couldn't even notice it was in there with the dumplings and all the flavors... potatoes, carrots, everything... but everyone in my family either hates any food that's even a bit spicy, or they're actually allergic to it.... so :(

message 9: by MK. (new)

MK. (HeyMatthewBK) That stinks!

Right now, at the moment I'm only really a ovo-lacto-vegetarian, buuut! When I move out of my family's house I'm going straight to vegan. At the moment I can't drink milk anymore because it disgust's me, unless it is in something. But cereal I can't eat anymore, I tried the other day and I ended up throwing it out. Cheese doesn't really appeal to me either anymore, I kind of like it but when I think about what the animals had to go through it just makes me sick. And then there are eggs... never really liked them unless they were in something, but they can be replaced in baking easily.

message 10: by jeeves... (new)

jeeves... | 644 comments how about fish? i've actually always hated that more than meat, the smell just drives me nuts...

message 11: by MK. (new)

MK. (HeyMatthewBK) Never liked anything that came from the sea growing up EXCEPT fishsticks.

message 12: by MK. (new)

MK. (HeyMatthewBK) Now, I don't eat any of it. My parents ate lobsters' the other day and I had to plug my nose because I was ready to throw up.

message 13: by Liz (new)

Liz lobster=pure delight

message 14: by MK. (last edited Feb 07, 2009 01:45PM) (new)

MK. (HeyMatthewBK) What about it is a pure delight?
(I'm trying to be civil guys but no one's answering my question, 'cept Tigger)

message 15: by Emma the Dork (new)

Emma the Dork (cheesehead) i am trying to be vegetarian but its HARD it is SOOO hard me and my mom are both trying and i think meat is totally wrong and awful and inhuman and just BLA but i must say; burgers are good.

message 16: by MK. (new)

MK. (HeyMatthewBK) What's so hard about it?

message 17: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Landers (MNLanders) I've actually been trying really hard to change myself to become vegetarian, but it's not working out to my liking, because 1) my mom says that she won't buy my vegetarian food. If I want to eat, I'll eat what she cooks, which is some sort of meat most times. And 2) I'm so used to eating meat that it would be so hard to break myself of it. I know I could do it, but my mom's making it a bit difficult on me. (And my friends think I'm insane. They just laughed in my face when I asked them what they thought about me becoming vegetarian, so I told them that it was just a hypothetical question so they wouldn't give me anymore crap about it.)

I'd love to become vegetarian. It's so much more healthier (assuming that I'd get all of the proteins and the like from some other food source since I wouldn't be getting it from meat). But I'd have to majorly alter my current lifestyle. Not sure if I'm ready for a big change like that yet. Maybe when I graduate from high school and am not living with my disapproving parents.

message 18: by Liz (new)

Liz Matthew Saves Your Soul wrote: "What about it is a pure delight?
(I'm trying to be civil guys but no one's answering my question, 'cept Tigger)"

its just yummy.

i tried being a vegetarian for a while but it was really hard. i guess its just a big adjustment and sometimes you are in situations that make it hard to eat. like if you are going to a barbecue or a bat mitzvah and there aren't many other options. now i kind of flip flop, some days i go vegetarian, some days i eat meat.

message 19: by Emma the Dork (new)

Emma the Dork (cheesehead) well yeah its yummy to you, but food is an opinion, not a fact.

and michael its hard because i LIKE meat and its EVERYWHERE and my family is NOT vegetarian and i can't exactly eat nothing but salad at every meal because they would think it was weird.

message 20: by Riley (new)

Riley (booksarecool) | 2246 comments I would be a vegetarian if meat weren't so dang yummy. I admire you guys. I never think of my hamburger as a cow, just as yummy delight(unless it's from McDonalds).

The thought of killing animals disgusts me, especially now because we are open to so many food sources but we still kill/eat animals. And our anatomy might not even be equipped for the omnivore lifestlye, just vegetarian.
But I don't think I could be a vegetarian. I'll try to eat less meat though, but definitely not cutting back on the cheese/eggs/milk/other things produced by animals.

message 21: by Emma the Dork (new)

Emma the Dork (cheesehead) exactly! thank you riley!

message 22: by The New Maria (new)

The New Maria (emeraldmaria) | 1950 comments Well, it's not wrong, and everywhere you go you are surrounded by meat. It's even in the salads now! So little options are out there for vegan/vegetarians! I used to be one, very difficult. But I do think people should eat in moderation. Not only are animals dying but arteries are being clogged!

message 23: by Sarah jean (new)

Sarah jean  blank (Sarahjean) i ♥ steaks. i honestly think though vegitarians can substitute there proteins with nuts & stuff- but vegans cant be healthy!@ no dariy?

message 24: by Emma the Dork (new)

Emma the Dork (cheesehead) yeah thats true sarah jean. vegans are never healthy.

message 25: by Seth (new)

Seth (NinjaaaaaofWritingbooks) | 544 comments i don't like too many meat . . . i love fish though . . . and some beef is good . . .

message 26: by The New Maria (new)

The New Maria (emeraldmaria) | 1950 comments Much meat.

message 27: by Liz (new)

Liz Emma the Dork wrote: "yeah thats true sarah jean. vegans are never healthy."

Some vegans are healthy.

message 28: by Riley (new)

Riley (booksarecool) | 2246 comments Liz wrote: "Emma the Dork wrote: "yeah thats true sarah jean. vegans are never healthy."

Some vegans are healthy.
"

If you moderate yourself well, vegetarians and vegans can be healthier than people on normal diets. But it's very very very very very very very hard.

message 29: by Sarah jean (new)

Sarah jean  blank (Sarahjean) Liz wrote: "Emma the Dork wrote: "yeah thats true sarah jean. vegans are never healthy."

Some vegans are healthy.
"

its impossible. u can't get diary when your vegan, and you need dariy. all dariy is animal byproduct.

message 30: by Riley (new)

Riley (booksarecool) | 2246 comments Why do you need dairy? For calcium. Certain juices will have added calcium to it. You can take calcium pills. See what I mean? And then, if it just happens to be unpasteurized(very rare), then there's no chance of you getting poisoned. Plus, milk thickens your mucus, making it harder to get over a cold. Also you can get constipated.

message 31: by Liz (new)

Liz Broccoli and other veggies contain lots of calcium. Being vegan and being healthy and balanced are not exclusive. Many vegans manage to maintain healthy lifestyles though sometimes the lack of dairy and meat need to be supplemented by vitamins.

message 32: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (djinni) | 7365 comments Mod
Humans are not biologically meant to survive without meat. Vegans can be healthy, and functional, but they can't replace everything meat gives.

message 33: by Sarah jean (new)

Sarah jean  blank (Sarahjean) calcium isnt the only thing about dairy you need.

message 34: by Riley (new)

Riley (booksarecool) | 2246 comments Lauren wrote: "Humans are not biologically meant to survive without meat. Vegans can be healthy, and functional, but they can't replace everything meat gives. "

Ahem, actually, more scientifical discoveries are proving that we might have to be vegetarians. Like, it takes longer for meat to digest in our system and our teeth aren't made to chew meat.

Sarah jean wrote: "calcium isnt the only thing about dairy you need."

Please elaborate. What else do you need from dairy?

message 35: by Lauren (new)

Our teeth are made for meat. They are sharp. You don't need sharp teeth to chew plants, they are needed to tear meat.

message 36: by Riley (new)

Riley (booksarecool) | 2246 comments Uh....
http://www.gtchild.co.uk/content/imag...
Compare these to:
http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumb...
They're similar, aren't they?
Now compare them to these ones.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/150/34...

We're supposed to be a vegetarian.

message 37: by Lauren (new)

We are omnivore. Look at the diet of a monkey, they eat some meats. That was us.

message 38: by Emily (last edited Mar 16, 2009 07:59AM) (new)

Emily (emilyamazingxx) | 2237 comments I'm going to have to actually disagree with Lauren on the post before riley's and also agree with others. The human body was designed to obtain meat from animals. They only cause disease and sickness, HOWEVER!! You have to eat vegetables also. So yeah. It works equally. And don't worry I'm completely against animal cruelty as well but there are other ways to obtain meat than by hurting animals

message 39: by Lauren (new)

How was it not evolved to eat meat? We can digest meat, true herbivores can't. We have sharp teeth to tear, and a huge bite strength. That would not have evolved if we only ate plants.

message 40: by Emma the Dork (new)

Emma the Dork (cheesehead) i want to be a vegetarian, i believe in not killing animals, at home my mom and i are totally veggie but at other people's houses i eat it.

we were NOT supposed to be vegetarian, if we were we wouldn't be able to digest meat and it would make us sick. what i don't think is fair is domesticating animals and raising them to be slaughtered. they should have a chance to live, or to fight for their lives. i know it sounds stupid, but i think we should never have domesticated animals for slaughter. its wrong. in the ancient days, thats what they had to do and thats whats right.

message 41: by Lauren (new)

Well, we still need meat. Otherwise every idiot with a rife would go out for dinner, and many more people would get hurt.

message 42: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyamazingxx) | 2237 comments Also, emma. People need to understand as well that if animals are not killed for meat, the world can become over-populated with animals and covered in their poop...not cool. anyway, so yeah we still need to eat meat and as much as it pains me and hurts me to say this, we must kill them too..

:(

message 43: by Lauren (new)

They would have been killed anyway.

message 44: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyamazingxx) | 2237 comments Yup

message 45: by Sarah jean (new)

Sarah jean  blank (Sarahjean) Riley wrote: "Lauren wrote: "Humans are not biologically meant to survive without meat. Vegans can be healthy, and functional, but they can't replace everything meat gives. "

Ahem, actually, more scientifical d..."

Nevermind, i was wrong
BUT! so are you- calcium pills come from from oyster shells, an animal byproduct so again no dairy/calcum

message 46: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyamazingxx) | 2237 comments that's completely different. dairy comes from a cow's milk not their meat.

message 47: by Sarah jean (new)

Sarah jean  blank (Sarahjean) Wait what?

i am discussing vegans...

message 48: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyamazingxx) | 2237 comments meat has to do with vegans too

message 49: by Sarah jean (new)

Sarah jean  blank (Sarahjean) your realy not making sence, i was speaking with riley about vegans who incase you didn't know DONT eat meat or animal BYPRODUCT. milk and SUCH.

message 50: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyamazingxx) | 2237 comments yes i know what vegans are. i know what vegetarians are. i know the difference. just whatever. i'll shut up.

« previous 1 3 4 5