The Random World of Reading discussion

Hush, Hush (Hush, Hush, #1)
This topic is about Hush, Hush
Monthly Reads > Hush, Hush (Hush, Hush, #1)

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lauren What did you think of this book? How about the cover too?

Lauren To tell the truth the thing that actually got me to pick up this book and read it was the cover. It was simply gorgeous!

I originally disliked the main character, Nora, when we first met her, she is weak. I found her to be completely childish but in the end I saw her true character shine through making me like her a little more. She is stubborn and more than a little pushy but everyone has negative flaws to their character. The main issue I had her is that she is not a strong female lead; she needs Patch to save her and help her. I am seriously hoping this changes in the next couple books.

Patch was a character more to my liking. His brooding and mysterious attitude, albeit kind of cocky and overconfident, pulled me in right away.

I think the romance aspect of the book was underdeveloped and I was expecting more out of it. But when it was in the mix it was cute and exactly what I was looking for in a YA book.

Lauren Stoolfire I was drawn to this for three reasons: a) recommendations/reviews, b) cool cover, and c) it was $3.00 at Ollie's (Good Stuff Cheap :) ). To tell you the truth, I fought the urge to just put it down and start reading a different book the entire time. Nora really got on my nerves and I greatly disliked her from the get-go. I thought her character was quite inconsistent to say the least. Patch was definitely more interesting but Nora's and Patch's relationship, to me, was odd. I found it very odd given how Nora describes him that his character seemed to be the most consistent. Of course, there were some aspects that I liked in this YA novel, but I couldn't really get behind it due to characters/characterizations.

By the way, I began reading the sequel and actually quit reading it...in my opinion it didn't get better or better quick enough to draw me in.

Aa'Ishah To be honest, I absolutely adore this series. I really liked Nora, it was Vee who annoyed me a little. Patch isn't just dark, he's also quite complex, and I just love the dynamice of their relationship. I can't wait to see what happens in Finale.

emily_oriley | 155 comments Okay, the reason I read this book was because I couldn't find it when I wanted it. I read a review online and thought it sounded interesting but when I tried to get it, it was no where to be found (this was before I turned to e-books, BTW). So, it became an obsession until I finally got my hands on it.

Not gonna sugar coat, I hated this book. It was agony to read, I did not enjoy any of the characters nor did I particularly care at all about who Patch was or why all this stuff was happening to Nora. However, it ended in such a way that I felt compelled to read the second book.... which I also did not like. I'm probably going to read the third and I imagine I will not like that either. You will learn quickly that I am a glutton for literary punishment.

You may kick me out of the group now v.v

Lauren emily_oriley wrote: "Okay, the reason I read this book was because I couldn't find it when I wanted it. I read a review online and thought it sounded interesting but when I tried to get it, it was no where to be found..."

I absolutely love that you are a glutton for literary punishment (not in a bad way) I feel the exact same way when I don't really like a book but there are more to the series I always think I just have to read them. I don't know maybe I always think I will find something endearing if I keep reading the series that maybe makes reading the whole thing worth while, I don't think I have ever actually found that to be the case though. :)

message 7: by Jamie (new) - added it

Jamie | 6 comments Lauren wrote: "I was drawn to this for three reasons: a) recommendations/reviews, b) cool cover, and c) it was $3.00 at Ollie's (Good Stuff Cheap :) ). To tell you the truth, I fought the urge to just put it dow..."

Love OLLIES :)

emily_oriley | 155 comments Lauren wrote: "emily_oriley wrote: "Okay, the reason I read this book was because I couldn't find it when I wanted it. I read a review online and thought it sounded interesting but when I tried to get it, it was..."

It is NEVER the case but still I keep clicking that "to read" button while sobbing uncontrollably.

Aa'Ishah Lauren wrote: "emily_oriley wrote: "Okay, the reason I read this book was because I couldn't find it when I wanted it. I read a review online and thought it sounded interesting but when I tried to get it, it was..."

I absolutely can't stand leaving a book or series unfinished, so unless I really hate it or see no redeeming qualities that make it worthwhile, I finish off the book or series.

emily_oriley | 155 comments Aa'Ishah wrote: "Lauren wrote: "emily_oriley wrote: "Okay, the reason I read this book was because I couldn't find it when I wanted it. I read a review online and thought it sounded interesting but when I tried to..."

I've only quit 2 series because I couldn't afford replacing my Nook after throwing it across the room so many times. The number should be 3 but I'm probably gonna read the next Anita Blake book even though I said I wouldn't >.>

Lauren Argh, I do have to finish reading this series at some point. Maybe I will make a poll if people want to continue with it.

emily_oriley | 155 comments Lauren wrote: "Argh, I do have to finish reading this series at some point. Maybe I will make a poll if people want to continue with it."

Is it finished? I don't want to have to wait a year to end it T.T

Johanna I've read the series. I really really liked Patch, but the storyline was just mediocre. The only reason I continued with the story was to see if Patch would ever redeem himself.. Which he did of course.. It was just a 3star series for me personally.

emily_oriley | 155 comments Johanna wrote: "I've read the series. I really really liked Patch, but the storyline was just mediocre. The only reason I continued with the story was to see if Patch would ever redeem himself.. Which he did of ..."

Ruin it! ;-)

Johanna Sowwwyyyy ;-)

Alana | 3 comments everyone seems to have mixed emotions about reading it! I read Hush, Hush right after finishing the Fallen series and it didn't quite meet my expectations of fallen angels but, despite myself I kept reading! lol This series seems to do that to you! I did however thoroughly enjoy Silence book three... Finale comes out this month and yes, depite my better judgement I WILL buy the book!

message 17: by Kyra (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kyra Richter | 2 comments Hi! Thanks for the invite. I'll jump right in, if you don't mind.
I love the cover for these books. I am also a bit a glutton for punishment in that I'll often persist with a series in hopes it will all get better. I think I liked book one and as they progressed I got bored with the characters and the story line. I did not finish this series. =0(

Lauren Kyra wrote: "Hi! Thanks for the invite. I'll jump right in, if you don't mind.
I love the cover for these books. I am also a bit a glutton for punishment in that I'll often persist with a series in hopes it wi..."

The covers were simply amazing, that is what drew me into the series in the first place. I am admittedly a sucker for gorgeous covers

message 19: by Bubbles (last edited Dec 22, 2012 07:21AM) (new)

Bubbles (dianadiejagerin) Hey, can someone convince me to read it? My friend tried to get me to, but I turned it down more than once. What is it really about/like?

emily_oriley | 155 comments Bubbles wrote: "Hey, can someone convince me to read it? My friend tried to get me to, but I turned it down more than once. What is it really about/like?"

Why would I convince you to read it? Did you kick my dog or something? O.o

Seriously, though, the story is about a C- but Nora as a main character drags it down to a D. If ou want a series you can just kinda speed-read through then this'll probably work. I'm on the last book and I could care less what happens T.T

message 21: by Gaele (new)

Gaele I read about 7 or 8 books a week for review. I have pushed (read forced, taped self to a chair) to struggle through books I couldn't stand - hoping to find some redeeming feature. And yes - most of those also have a bajillion 5 star reviews - but I look closer - and they all read nearly exactly the same way.

I can't be bothered now - I am at the point when I see a blurb- sample the writing and know if I can manage a read. If I don't find I want to read it - I won't. It's not fair to the author - and it certainly is not fair to me - I have books that I know are better in my pile to read - and I would rather read those.

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) I read this book under the recommendation of my sister, who has the whole quartet and loved them. I found it identical to "Twilight," only with fallen angels instead of vampires.