Completists' Club discussion

Denton Welch
This topic is about Denton Welch
Authors U-Z > Denton Welch

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eddie (last edited Sep 18, 2012 10:08AM) (new)

Eddie Watkins (eddiewat) | 25 comments I'm almost a Denton Welch completist without even intending to be one.

1. In Youth is Pleasure (New York: E.P. Dutton, 1985)

2. A Voice Through a Cloud (London: J. Lehmann, 1950) (London: Enitharmon Press, 2004)

3. The Denton Welch Journals (London: Hamish Hamilton, 1973). As The Journals of Denton Welch (London: Allison & Busby, 1984).

4. Maiden Voyage (London: Hamish Hamilton, 1943),(Exact Change, 1999)

5. A Last Sheaf (London: John Lehmann, 1951)

6. I Left My Grandfather's House (Allison & Busby, 1984; London: Enitharmon Press, 2006)

7. Dumb Instrument (London: Enitharmon Press, 1976)

8. Where Nothing Sleeps: The Complete Short Stories and Other Related Works (North Yorkshire: Tartarus Press, 2005)

As with many others I was introduced to Welch by William S. Burroughs, and I've been reading and rereading him since.

A couple items on the above list are duplicates. He wrote three novels, a collection of short stories, an extensive journal, and some poems. He was also a visual artist, and in fact began as a visual artist.

I've read the novels, maybe half of the stories, the journal, and a poem or two. As with others with completist tendencies, I'm saving some of what I haven't yet read for a later date - delayed gratification.

message 2: by Eddie (new)

Eddie Watkins (eddiewat) | 25 comments I think A Last Sheaf and Dumb Instrument are essentially duplicates, and I Left my Grandfather's House is included in The Complete Short Stories, so as far as I know there are only 6 entries in his completist oeuvre.

message 3: by Eddie (new)

Eddie Watkins (eddiewat) | 25 comments Very interesting! I'd like to know the source. Maybe Role Models? I still want to read that. There is definitely a lot of subtle perversion in Welch - like licking objects to get even closer to them, and suggested pedophilia - and then the gay connection, of course, so I can see how Waters would like him.

message 4: by Eddie (new)

Eddie Watkins (eddiewat) | 25 comments Have you read any Welch, Mike? If not I'd like to hear your take on In Youth is Pleasure. Waters is obviously a huge fan.

message 5: by Eddie (new)

Eddie Watkins (eddiewat) | 25 comments Thanks for the link, btw. I love Waters in his mostly serious mode.

message 6: by Nathanimal (new)

Nathanimal | 11 comments I'd heard about Welch a while ago, but only just got to him last month. I promptly read everything I could find by him: Maiden Voyage, In Youth is Pleasure, his journals, and A Voice Through a Cloud. Now if someone would just re-publish his complete stories. Exact Change, ahem, get on that.

message 7: by Eddie (new)

Eddie Watkins (eddiewat) | 25 comments https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

Not the complete stories, but I think it's mostly complete. Out of print but I just saw a VG 1st edition on Amazon for ~ $18.