English Mysteries Club discussion

Archive pre-2020 > Introduce Yourselves!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 100 (100 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

New Members, who share the taste and appreciation for English Mysteries and Whodunnits, introduce yourselves here, in this thread.

Tell us your name, your city and your occupation. If you want to, put a line or two about yourself, so that we get to know you better!!

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I am Anirban Das, from Kolkata in India. I am a student of Accountancy.
I had started reading Agatha Christie, way back from the days I was in school. And since, have grown an exclusive taste for thrillers.

message 3: by Poornima (new)

Poornima | 46 comments Hi Anirban, thanks for this thread :)

I am Poornima from Bangalore, India. Have joined this group recently. Mystery/Thrillers are my favorite genre of books - exclusively Agatha Christie's works and adventures of Sherlock Holmes.
Also enjoy mysteries by Patricia Wentworth, Dorthy Sayers, Elizabeth George, Ngaio Marsh. Look forward to exploring more English mysteries.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 2 comments Hi, I'm Danielle. Looking forward to recommendations on English mysteries, classic and new.

message 5: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 4 comments Hi All and thanks Anirban! I'm Suzanne, from Michigan, and I'm a piano teacher. I was glad to find this group! I love English mysteries. Dorothy Sayers is my all-time favorite, and I'm also a great fan of Martha Grimes' Richard Jury series. I'm always on the lookout for mysteries with richly drawn settings and well-developed characters. A little humor is nice too.

message 6: by Swagata (new)

Swagata | 1 comments Hey everybody! I'm Swagata and I work as a software engineer in Bangalore. I love reading older English mysteries.

message 7: by Christy (new)

Christy Brannen (murdermostbritish) | 11 comments Hello everyone!

My name is Christy, am 45, disabled by illness now but used to be an optician and ophthalmic technician...I live in Kentucky in the USA. Most of what I read are British murder mysteries, as you can probably glean from my user id. I also read some modern American cozies, (usually based on crafts,books or baking) but the bulk of what I read is English historical and vintage with a traditional thrown n now and then. (my definition of 'traditional' being a professional sleuth rather than amateur, that is not either vintage or historical - Richard Jury falls in this category for instnace)

message 8: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 40 comments Hi--I'm Cheryl, live in Minnesota, retired Radiologic Technologist. I read everything, but enjoy English mysteries. Favorites are Grimes' Richard Jury series, and Amelia Peabody series by Elizabeth Peters. I joined this group to branch out and find some new authors in this genre and am now experiencing overload with all the terrific suggestions. I will soon be reading "The Killings at Badger Drift" to take part in this month's book discussion and also purchased "A Beautiful Blue Death" by Charles Finch from a suggestion I found in this group.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Poornima, Suzanne, Danielle, Swagata, Christine, Cheryl...Welcome to the group!!!! It was great to hear from all of you!!

One thing is very much evident from the posts, that Martha Grimes's mysteries are very much popular as traditional ebglish mysteries.

I had read couple of them and The Old Contemptibles and The Dirty Duck, and I already count myself as a fan.

Another recent favorite of mine is Elizabeth George.

message 10: by Anne (new)

Anne (rhodeanie) Anirban wrote: "New Members, who share the taste and appreciation for English Mysteries and Whodunnits, introduce yourselves here, in this thread.

Tell us your name, your city and your occupation. If you want to,..."

Hello all! I'm Anne from Houston, Texas, USA. I'm retired recently, and love having the time I want to read. Mysteries are my favorites! Christie was my first "love" and remains my all-time favorite, but like many of you I enjoy Sayers, Tey, and Marsh (actually, a New Zealander). I'm enjoying this group and have identified many (too many :-) "to reads".

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Anne wrote: "Anirban wrote: "New Members, who share the taste and appreciation for English Mysteries and Whodunnits, introduce yourselves here, in this thread.

Tell us your name, your city and your occupation...."

Welcome to the group. Truly, among all the others who have come, gone and stayed in our minds, Agatha Christie reigns supreme. Truly THE QUEEN OF CRIME!!

message 12: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 1663 comments Anirban wrote: "One thing is very much evident from the posts, that Martha Grimes's mysteries are very much popular as traditional ebglish mysteries..."

Well, this really belongs in some other thread, but I disagree with the above statement. I read the first 5 or 6 Grimes books and have very little desire to reread them. Too dark and gloomy for my taste. Whereas the "traditional" English mysteries {Christie, Sayers, Wentworth, etc} I generally am willing to reread (and have reread many of them).

I also am not a huge fan of Elizabeth George -- too much about the personalities and lives of the detectives for me. Again, I have read the first 5 or 6 but would not reread them.

message 13: by sonya (new)

sonya windbiel (maximusanz) | 3 comments Hi, I'm Sonya aka maximus...I am from New Mexico...I have a difficult time finding specific books where I live. I will have to resort to buying them on line. I also love reading older books through Project Guttenberg ;-)

message 14: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne Williams (1289) | 55 comments Hi Suzanne. My name is Yvonne in South Carolina. I'm a retired RN. For humor, you might like Kate Atkinson - although hers is admittedly black humor - but I love her books, especially the Jackson Brodie series.

message 15: by I am Dangerous (new)

I am Dangerous | 3 comments Hi Everyone,i have recently started reading mysterys n i really like mysterys. My name is Asna and i am from India n i really glad to be on this group...

message 16: by Srushti (new)

Srushti Shah | 2 comments Hie, I am Srushti from India. I am a pharmacist and I have grown up on mysterys. My all time favourite is Agatha Christie. I love the psychological analysis of crime and criminal tendencies. A thriller with the backdrop of old age England, the and the seemingly quaint county life makes my day.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Srushti wrote: "Hie, I am Srushti from India. I am a pharmacist and I have grown up on mysterys. My all time favourite is Agatha Christie. I love the psychological analysis of crime and criminal tendencies. A thri..."

Asna wrote: "Hi Everyone,i have recently started reading mysterys n i really like mysterys. My name is Asna and i am from India n i really glad to be on this group..."

Srushti and Asna...welcome to the group!!!

message 18: by I am Dangerous (new)

I am Dangerous | 3 comments thanx for welcoming me,Anirban....

message 19: by I am Dangerous (new)

I am Dangerous | 3 comments Srushti wrote: "Hie, I am Srushti from India. I am a pharmacist and I have grown up on mysterys. My all time favourite is Agatha Christie. I love the psychological analysis of crime and criminal tendencies. A thri..."

even i like Agatha Christie,that's one of my favourite.

message 20: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 54 comments Hello, all, I'm Carol and I live in the US in the state of Massachusetts. I am a lifelong mystery reader and count the Christies as favorites as they were the first of the English mysteries that I read, as a teenager. I joined this group recently because I realized how much I like this genre whether they are police procedures, village or English manor mysteries, detetive stories, or other (don't much care for cozies I read one every now and again to lighten my mood).

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Hello, all, I'm Carol and I live in the US in the state of Massachusetts. I am a lifelong mystery reader and count the Christies as favorites as they were the first of the English mysteries that I ..."

Welcome to the group Carol. Even I count myself as a lifelong MYSTERY LOVER, with Dame Christie as my favorite!! :)

message 22: by Susan (new)

Susan | 606 comments Cheryl S. wrote: "Hi--I'm Cheryl, live in Minnesota, retired Radiologic Technologist. I read everything, but enjoy English mysteries. Favorites are Grimes' Richard Jury series, and Amelia Peabody series by Elizab..."

Hi Cheryl,
I just joined this group too. I took the recommendation
for a "Beautiful Blue Death" and liked it very much. I also took another recommendation for Josephine Tey's book about Richard III and looking forward to that. It's great to have a place to get good recommendations.

message 23: by Ginger (new)

Ginger Moran (gingerm) | 10 comments Hi, I'm Ginger in Virginia, USA! I love mysteries--Sayers, Grimes, Christie--the classics. I also love Elizabeth Peters who is American but her characters are English. Does that count? I write novels and coach book writing. My second novel (unpublished, so far) is a mystery that takes place at the University of Virginia.

message 24: by Shera (new)

Shera (goodreadscomShera) | 0 comments Hi, I'm Shera in Dallas, TX. I love mysteries and have been reading mostly British books for the last few years. I just finished "Cop to Corpse" by Peter Lovesey. I'm looking forward to reading most of these classics again. I agree with the recommendation for "The Daughter of Time" It is on my top 10.

message 25: by Ryan (new)

Ryan (mightymjolner) | 4 comments Hello to all. My name is Ryan and I live in Indiana as an Environmental compliance operator. I have only recently gotten into the mystery genre, reading some PD James novels as well as just starting Ellis Peters Brother Cadfael books.

message 26: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 1663 comments @Ryan -- I'm a fan of historical fiction & of mysteries so the Caedfel books were right up my alley. If you like those, you might like Alan Gordon's books (the "detective" is a Middle Ages peripatic jester.

message 27: by Ryan (new)

Ryan (mightymjolner) | 4 comments I'll look into it Leslie, it sounds interesting. Anything middle ages is right up my alley (ally?).

message 28: by Pia (new)

Pia Hi. I'm Pia, from Mexico. I grew up reading Agatha Christie. Now I'm a big fan of P.D. James, Ruth Rendell, Martha Grimes. Also love Elizabeth George (American, but English characters), Kate Atkinson and Sophie Hannah

message 29: by Candy (new)

Candy Tiley | 33 comments Hello to all! I am Candy and have been reading English and other genres of mysteries for at least 40 years. I have been "retired" now for 9 years and decided to return to work so am working on an Associates Degree in Health Information. I am hoping to get involved in the migration from paper files to electronic health records. I am interested in expanding my knowledge of English mystery authors.

message 30: by Ann (new)

Ann (atstobbs9711) | 13 comments My name is Ann and I live in Florida for 1/2 of the year and in Maryland the other half. I am retired and am enjoying having the time to read a book completely instead of having to read little bits at a time. I started reading Agatha Christie when I was around 11 and have loved English mysteries ever since. My favorites are Agatha Christie(of course), Ngaio Marsh, PD James, and Martha Grimes.

message 31: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 4 comments Hi Yvonne! Thanks for the recommendation. I am looking forward to reading Kate Atkinson!

message 32: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 130 comments My name is Kathy and I live about sixty miles outside Seattle, in the capital, Olympia. I just retired, and now instead of using the Internet to research actions in Congress related to social programs, Laws, Rules and Regulations and writing policies, I can concentrate on reading what I really enjoy!!!!!

I am so glad I found this group as I have been searching for people who really enjoy the older mysteries. Any group like that is hard to find. And some of my favorites are English; Agatha Christie, Dorothy Sayers, Ngaio March, P. D. James, Martha Grimes.

I also read older mysteries by American authors, but have always really preferred English mysteries.

So am looking forward to joing this group.

message 33: by Karen (new)

Karen Lowe | 23 comments Hi, I'm a Shropshire lass, and love reading & writing crime fiction. I work part time as a bookkeeper/administrator, and also enjoy paper crafts, quilting and patchwork.
Glad to hear you also enjoy some of my favourite authors, like Christie, Kate Atkinson, PD James, and of course the Shropshire-based Cadfael books by Ellis Peters.
Great to find a new group and new book recommendations.

message 34: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne Williams (1289) | 55 comments Karen, I'm glad you reminded me - I have been meaning to read some Peter Ellis. Would love to see your country. Don't know why, but I am fascinated with England. Maybe because my ancestors are from there.I have forgotten which part they were from. Yvonne

message 35: by Karen (new)

Karen Lowe | 23 comments Hi Yvonne, I've been doing quite a bit of family history research over the last few years - amazing where the ancestors come from and travel to. Have got a little clutch of em in the States - Hartford, Conn. they were, tho I expect they've dispersed since the 1900s.

message 36: by Julie (new)

Julie  (gpangel) Hi, my name is Julie. I'm from Texas. I love old school and newer "English" mysteries. I collect Sayers, Marsh, and Christie and Grimes. Connelly is one of my all time favorite mystery/thriller author's. I'm looking forward to discussions from this group.

message 37: by Helen (new)

Helen | 98 comments Hello, I am Helen, I am semi-retired & live in Montréal. P D James, Christie & Minette Walters are among my favourites, the current #1 is CJ Sansom and his Shardlake mysteries. Someone mentioned family history, I have been tracing my Welsh/Scots/Irish folks for about 15 years and am a huge fan of both historical(UK) fiction & non-fiction (with a weakness for the mystical Merlin, Arthur & of course Robin of the Hood). ;>)

message 38: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 130 comments P.D. James is one of my favorite authors. I have lots really from British authors. I am interested in some Scots authors, like M.C. Beaton for a nice fun read. I have found that some Scots authors tend to be pensive and morose; and some the violence level is very high. I tend to read more history about Wales, Scotland and Ireland than current fiction.

Both sides of my family are English. My father almost 100% (with just one or two distant French relations). My mother I am still working on tracing. I can spend more time now that I am retired. I remember my grandmother saying that she was raised in North Carolina and she thought her family had come over from Scotland at some distant point. I only have names for about four generations back, but will hope for the best.

message 39: by Nathan (last edited Oct 03, 2012 01:48PM) (new)

Nathan (nthnlwly) Hi everybody! I'm Trevor, 18 years old. I mostly joined this group because I adore Agatha Christie and wanted to find some more mystery books that are similar to hers. So if anybody has suggestions, please let me know! :)

message 40: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 40 comments Ginger wrote: "Hi, I'm Ginger in Virginia, USA! I love mysteries--Sayers, Grimes, Christie--the classics. I also love Elizabeth Peters who is American but her characters are English. Does that count? I write nove..."

What's the title of your first book? I'll look for it. I used to write when I was younger and am thinking of going back to it now that I have the time. A local book store has a writers group which I think might be a good place to get started. What do you think?

message 41: by Virginia (new)

Virginia | 10 comments Hi, I'm Virginia, and I love mysteries, preferably English mysteries. I'm in Tennessee, USA. Excited to find this group :)

message 42: by Tom (new)

Tom | 53 comments Hi, I have loved English mysteries since I read The Murder of Roger Ackroyd as a child. I live in Nebraska, USA. My other interests are genealogy, gardening, and biking. Even though I usually try to stay as far away from the new mystery model of cooking, knitting, or other interest books, I have to admit that I am somewhat hypocritical, as I really like Dan Waddell’s series. I am very much enjoying this group. People are talking about books I really like.

message 43: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 130 comments Tom, yes The Murder of Roger Ackroyd is one of Christie's best.

I did not used to like cozies, but I do like Susan Wittig Albert, there is one knitting series I find an easy read (and I knit so it is fun to read about others and their projects), and there is one series about a bookbinder. One of the things I tend to do after reading a book that is dark and deep is to read one of these books. I don't think I could read the serious stuff if I did not have some more light reading to fill in between.

I find M.C. Beaton's Hamish McLeod (not sure that is the last name) series good too. The author does a great job of describing the life in the Highlands. I am getting more interested in Scottish authors, but a lot of their work is pretty dark so a lighter note periodically helps.

I like Denise Mina and am trying a couple of Val McDermid books. (Not sure I am going to stick with these.)

Don't know if this forum extends to the British Isles or just England.

message 44: by Judy (last edited Oct 28, 2012 07:27PM) (new)

Judy Hello everyone, I joined the group earlier this month & have been following along with the updates. Now that I've finished the book for this month, I'm ready to enter the discussions so I'm here to introduce myself. I'm Judy & I've been a mystery reader since I discovered Nancy Drew as a child, then moved on to Agatha Christie & Sherlock Holmes. I read many styles of mysteries from cozies to thrillers to police procedurals to historicals, etc. I have a particular fondness for mysteries set in the UK be they written by British authors or American authors. I live in the US in NE Wisconsin. Glad to be here!

message 45: by sonya (new)

sonya windbiel (maximusanz) | 3 comments Leslie wrote: "@Ryan -- I'm a fan of historical fiction & of mysteries so the Caedfel books were right up my alley. If you like those, you might like Alan Gordon's books (the "detective" is a Middle Ages peripat..."
Ryan, you got it right the first time, "alley" ;-)

message 46: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 40 comments Judy wrote: "Hello everyone, I joined the group earlier this month & have been following along with the updates. Now that I've finished the book for this month, I'm ready to enter the discussions so I'm here to..."

Do you live any where near Door County? I live in east central Minnesota and just took a trip over there this fall. Beautiful country.

message 47: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 1 comments Hey!!! My name is Stephanie and I live in West Virginia, USA. I am a high school senior planning on studying Forensic Chemistry in college. My friends say that I am obsessed with Sherlock Holmes and maybe I am, but I love it!! I have taken dance classed for eleven years and have enjoyed every moment of it!! I love everything English and cannot wait for a chance to visit London.

message 48: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (stewartry) Welcome, all!

message 49: by Paul (last edited Nov 29, 2012 02:56PM) (new)

Paul (paullev) | 7 comments I'm an author of detective science fiction (e.g., The Silk Code), but I have an abiding passion for English detective fiction, from Agatha's Christie's The Secret Adversary to Morse and Lewis.

message 50: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey | 10 comments Hello. My name is Jeffrey Winner. I'm an actor in Los Angeles. English mysteries are my favorites.

I love, among many others, Agatha Christie, Dorothy Sayers, Josephine Tey, Ngaio Marsh, Kate Atkinson, P.D James, and all things Sherlock Holmes.

« previous 1