The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

MODERATOR ANNOUNCEMENTS > Challenge Bonus Themes: Winter 2012-13 thru Fall 2013

Comments Showing 1-50 of 71 (71 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10973 comments Mod
It's time to starting thinking about the bonus themes for the next year of challenges. The moderators and task creators base some of the challenge's tasks on the bonus themes. Other tasks will be based on seasonal motifs and some will be added just for fun.

Bonus themes we've used so far include:

2010-2011 -- Asia, Australia, Europe, and Africa
2011-2012 -- Earth, Fire, Wind/Air, and Water

These themes have brought extra inspiration to the SRC and have given us some really fun tasks. Ideally, the overall theme would be composed of 4 interrelated components, but feel free to get creative and submit your ideas here! This thread will be open for ideas until September 30. A poll will then be created from the popular, workable ideas in order to select our next bonus themes. We're looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

message 2: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7702 comments what about music types - Rock/Classic/Pop/Country

message 3: by Connie N. (new)

Connie N. North-south-east-west

message 4: by Connie N. (new)

Connie N. Food groups? Dairy, fruits & vegetables, meats, sweets

message 5: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) - suits of cards: hearts, clubs, spades, diamonds

- life stages: infant, child, adolescent, adult

message 6: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 967 comments I really like Dee's idea. I was thinking about maybe something with the Dewey Decimal System. You can't break it easily into 4ths but you could do something like this:

000-299 -- Computer science/Reference/Philosopy & Psychology/Religion -- includes journalism and rare books

300-499 -- Social Sciences/Languages - includes law, education, folklore, politics and education

500-699 -- Science/Technology - includes diseases, farming, food, building (homes), animals, rocks and minerals

700-899 - Arts and Literature - includes music and sports

900 - Geography and History - includes biographies

message 7: by Christine US (new)

Christine US (christineus) | 572 comments Connie N. wrote: "North-south-east-west"

I'd vote for this. It is very open -the moderators (and task creators if they want) could be inventive. I do compliment them on how well the made the Earth-Wind-etc beyond the basic obvious elements of "book has a picture of a planet on the cover" and streched their imaginations (song titles, etc)

message 8: by Chaitra (new)

Chaitra (chaitra_ganesh) | 520 comments Candiss wrote: "- suits of cards: hearts, clubs, spades, diamonds"

I like this! The only things I can think of that come in fours are the four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. lol.

message 9: by Janet F (new)

Janet F (janet_f) | 456 comments Home, Community, Nation, World
or combine two of the above and have Universe/beyond our world

message 10: by Dionisia (new)

Dionisia (therabidreader) | 436 comments Chaitra wrote: "Candiss wrote: "- suits of cards: hearts, clubs, spades, diamonds"

I like this! The only things I can think of that come in fours are the four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. lol."

Right up my alley, ha!

message 11: by Dionisia (new)

Dionisia (therabidreader) | 436 comments Some things that randomly came to mind...

-head, shoulder, knees and toes

-liquid, solid, gas, and plasma

-sight, sound, smell, and taste (this could be reshuffled to include touch)

message 12: by Dionisia (new)

Dionisia (therabidreader) | 436 comments Or how about...

- records, cassette tapes, CDs, and mp3s

-addition, subtraction, multiplication and division

-right, left, up, and down

-over, under, inside and out

-desert, tundra, rainforest, and grassland

-birds, insects, reptiles, and mammals (or substitute one for amphibians)

-sweet, bitter, sour, and salty

Goodness! I have no idea how some of these might work as bonus themes but it's fun to think of things that come in fours.

message 13: by JC (new)

JC (jmnc) | 640 comments Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, Slytherin

message 14: by Stefu (new)

Stefu Smith | 76 comments Zombies, Vampires, Aliens, Robots

message 15: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Appetizer, Soup Course, Entree, Dessert! :D

Math, Science, Social Studies (or History), Language Arts (the four core subjects at my school)

Solid, Liquid, Gas, Plasma

Sunny, Cloudy, Rainy, Snowy

Triangle, Circle, X, Square

message 16: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2135 comments Eyes, Ears, Nose, Mouth

message 17: by Sara ♥ (last edited Sep 18, 2012 05:22PM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Stefu wrote: "Zombies, Vampires, Aliens, Robots"

Reminds me of Zombies! Aliens! Vampires! Dinosaurs!, which is a great album! :)

It's a good combo though.
Zombies = post-apocalyptic/dystopian/horror
Aliens = science fiction/futuristic
Vampires = paranormal/fantasy
Dinosaurs = ... uhh... historical? science? nonfiction?

message 18: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 884 comments Who What Where When

message 19: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 2073 comments The four leaf clover means: faith, hope, love, and luck

The four sections in an orchestra: percussion, strings, brass, and woodwinds

The four arts: art, drama, music, and literature

message 20: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 2073 comments four kinds of love: affection, friendship, romance, unconditional

In literature- Four character conflicts:
against nature, against an antagonist, against society, or internal; against self

Christina (AKA Babbling) (babblingbookreviews) | 674 comments Freshmen, Sophomore, Junior, Senior

This one is kinda obvious, but...what the heck:

1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th (or even 4th, 3rd,...)

message 22: by Marie-Anne (new)

Marie-Anne | 659 comments I like a lot of the themes already submitted. Here are a few more ideas:
Primary colors: red, blue, green, yellow
Major continents: Americas, Europe, Africa, Asia. (Oceania and Antarctica can be grouped with one of the others)
Major mythologies: Greek/Roman, Egyptian/Neareastern, Maya/Aztec, Norse
Astronomical elements: Suns/Stars, Planets, Galaxies, Comets/asteroids
Computer components: input, output, processor, storage
Compositions: poems, plays, essays, stories/tales
Phases of the moon: new moon, first quarter, full moon, last quarter
Climates: arctic, tropical, desert, temperate

message 23: by Janice (last edited Sep 18, 2012 10:50PM) (new)

Janice  | 662 comments Last time, someone suggested using the seven deadly sins. I loved that idea. Pair them up for three seasons and have one on its own.

message 24: by Katrina (new)

Katrina (katmcv) | 457 comments Child, Teen, Adult, Elder

message 25: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 371 comments Katrina wrote: "Child, Teen, Adult, Elder"

I like that one, Katrina.

message 26: by April (new)

April Sara ♥ wrote: "Stefu wrote: "Zombies, Vampires, Aliens, Robots"

Dinosaurs = ... uhh... historical? science? nonfiction?"

I like how you include genres. I like this one!

message 27: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Sara ♥ wrote: "Stefu wrote: "Zombies, Vampires, Aliens, Robots"

Zombies = post-apocalyptic/dystopian/..."

Dinosaurs==big books, green books (I always think of Dinosaurs as green, since my husband worked for Sinclair when they had the dinosaur logo, I still have a bar of dino-shaped soap they used for a premium at one time), old, old books,

message 28: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 2544 comments Kathy G. wrote: "The four arts: art, drama, music, and literature"

This one gets my attention. It seems more workable than some of the others. (Maybe with "dance/drama" instead of just "drama"?)

message 29: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) Nick wrote: "Kathy G. wrote: "The four arts: art, drama, music, and literature"

This one gets my attention. It seems more workable than some of the others. (Maybe with "dance/drama" instead of just "drama"?)"

Perhaps dance and drama together could be conveniently called "performance arts" or some such. (And "art" might be visual arts to include sculpture, painting, drawing, glassworking, fiber arts, and so many others.)

I like this one, too. It has neat possibilities.

message 30: by Karen Michele (last edited Sep 19, 2012 02:00PM) (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 1750 comments Candiss wrote: "Nick wrote: "Kathy G. wrote: "The four arts: art, drama, music, and literature"

This one gets my attention. It seems more workable than some of the others. (Maybe with "dance/drama" instead of ju..."

Or since the challenge includes books and literature no matter what just use Art, Dance, Drama, Music for the 4 themes.

I also like the Harry Potter Houses because they symbolized different characteristics.

Also like:

Dinosaurs = ... uhh... historical? science? nonfiction?"

There are lots of other good ideas here, but these are my favorites!

message 31: by Stefu (last edited Sep 19, 2012 02:48PM) (new)

Stefu Smith | 76 comments Sara ♥ wrote: "Stefu wrote: "Zombies, Vampires, Aliens, Robots"

Zombies = post-apocalyptic/dystopian/..."

Yes! That is a great album!

My initial idea was that each of those beings are potential invaders of the human race.

message 32: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Donna Jo wrote: "Dinosaurs==big books, green books (I always think of Dinosaurs as green, since my husband worked for Sinclair when they had the dinosaur logo, I still have a bar of dino-shaped soap they used for a premium at one time), old, old books..."

Yeah, you could expand it in a few different ways, I think... Dinosaurs are green, but then, so are aliens! ;)

message 33: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Aliens don't have to be green! Just look at Star Wars :D But yeah, I like the Zombies/Vampires/Aliens/Robots, though I wouldn't mind replacing vampires with dinosaurs...

message 34: by KarenF (new)

KarenF (cleocleveland) | 274 comments This might be too US specific but I thought the 4 major entertainment awards might be fun.

Oscars (movies), Emmys (TV), Grammys (music) & Tonys (stage).

message 35: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2135 comments Road, Rail, Sea, Air

message 36: by Dionisia (new)

Dionisia (therabidreader) | 436 comments Coralie wrote: "Road, Rail, Sea, Air"

I love this one!

message 37: by KSMary (new)

KSMary | 825 comments Mythology/legends
1. Greek/roman
2. Native American
3. Asian
4. Norse/Celtic

message 38: by JC (new)

JC (jmnc) | 640 comments First 4 planets: Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars. Also the 4 gas planets: Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune. These have a lot of possibilities for mythology too.

The Fantastic Four: Mr. Fantastic, The Invisible Woman, The Human Torch, The Thing

The Beatles: John, Paul, George, Ringo

The United Kingdom: England, Whales, Scotland, N.Ireland

Cardinal Directions: North, South, East, West.

message 39: by KarenF (new)

KarenF (cleocleveland) | 274 comments Precious Gemstones: Diamond, Emerald, Ruby, Sapphire

message 40: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4093 comments JenC, Whales should be Wales

message 41: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Although whales are quite lovely, too... ;)

message 42: by Cassie (last edited Sep 23, 2012 08:56PM) (new)

Cassie | 133 comments How about a mythology theme? I love mythology, and the ancient Greeks had a very entertaining one.

The Erotes:
Eros -- love, lust, beauty, sex, and fertility
Anteros -- requited love
Himeros -- desire and unrequited love
Pothos -- longing or yearning.

Or the sea nymphs:
Thetis -- goddess who presided over the spawning of marine life
Arethusa -- a nymph turned into a fountain
Galene -- goddess of calm seas
Psamathe -- goddess of sand beaches

Or the main gods of the winds:
Boreas -- the north wind and winter
Eurus -- the unlucky east or southeast wind
Notus -- the south wind
Zephyrus -- the west wind.

Or whatever--the Greeks had a deity or hero for pretty much anything.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_...

message 43: by Dionisia (new)

Dionisia (therabidreader) | 436 comments A mythology theme would be amazing too. This is gonna be a tough vote!

message 44: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 243 comments Sara ♥ wrote: "Stefu wrote: "Zombies, Vampires, Aliens, Robots"

Reminds me of Zombies! Aliens! Vampires! Dinosaurs!, which is a great album! :)"

I love either of these!

I also love the mythology themes. The Chinese Four Symbols could be fun, they already include colors, directions and seasons:

Azure Dragon of the East represents Spring.
Vermilion Bird of the South represents Summer.
White Tiger of the West represents Fall.
Black Tortoise of the North represents Winter.

message 45: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Vicky wrote: "Sara ♥ wrote: "Stefu wrote: "Zombies, Vampires, Aliens, Robots"

Reminds me of Zombies! Aliens! Vampires! Dinosaurs!, which is a great album! :)"

I love either of these!

I also love the mytholog..."

Oh, I like the idea of using the Chinese/East Asian mythology! Fushigi Yuugi used the idea of the Four Gods, and it's one of my favorite series ever. Each of the four gods is related to seven different constellations, allowing for a variety of tasks related to them (for example, one of the constellations for the Azure Dragon is "heart" or "spirit," so a task related to the heart/spirit).

Also, China has the Four Classics (the books that every scholar needed to know, and you'd be considered "wise" if you learned them"): Water Margin, Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Journey to the West, and Dream of the Red Chamber (our romance-reading members would enjoy this). We could assign each one of those books to the different gods/directions, too!

I vote this one! :D

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

These are the ones I like:

Zombies, Vampires, Aliens & Robots or Zombies, Vampires, Aliens & Dinosaurs

Who, What, Where & When

Art, Drama, Music & Literature

Oscars (movies), Emmys (TV), Grammys (music) & Tonys (stage)

England, Wales, Scotland & N. Ireland

or one of the mythology ones

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't know if anyone else has said this, but I noticed that you have done one year of Social Studies and one year of Science. So I was thinking maybe:

Math--addition, subtraction, multiplication, division
Language Arts---reading, writing, grammar, speaking

I think there could be others; I'll keep thinking.

P.S. I just wanted to take this time to thank the moderators. This is such a huge job, and you do it so very well!!

message 48: by Cassie (new)

Cassie | 133 comments Ms Anderson wrote: "Vicky wrote: "Sara ♥ wrote: "Stefu wrote: "Zombies, Vampires, Aliens, Robots"

I love either of these!

I also lov..."

I like the Chinese mythology too!

message 49: by Peebee (new)

Peebee | 486 comments I was in 4-H, and we had "head, heart, hands, and health," all of which would lend themselves very well to book choices.

message 50: by Riya (new)

Riya (riyaishere) | 191 comments Forms of Entertainment: Music, Movies/TV, Reading/Writing, and Games.

Mythology: Greek/Roman, Norse/Celtic, Hindu, Asian

« previous 1