Completists' Club discussion

Authors M-P > Javier Marías

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nathan "N.R." (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 258 comments Mike, the Enabler. See, I've not read word one from Marías but I suspect I've already found him among my completist itinerary.

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris (krisrabberman) | 23 comments I'm with you here, Mike.

message 3: by Patty (new)

Patty | 28 comments I haven't read When I Was Mortal or the Man of Feeling, and I thought that While the Women are Sleeping was awful. I guess I've read the rest of the novels that have been translated. I follow his twitter feed, even though my spanish isn't up to it.

Hey, that brings up a whole new and absurd problem for completists of living writers. All of the internet ephemera is going to be quite a challenge.

message 4: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) | 296 comments I've read: A Heart so White, Written Lives, When I was Mortal, Tomorrow in the Battle..." and half of Your Face Tomorrow. I gave up on the latter but want to try again. Also with the rest of his oeuvre.

message 5: by Rise (last edited Sep 21, 2012 06:39PM) (new)

Rise I'm 3 books short - the 2 story collections and The Man of Feeling. And The Infatuations is most anticipated.

message 6: by Rise (new)

Rise The new Penguin series on Marías has some cool-looking covers.

http://www.bookdepository.com/search?...

message 7: by Rise (new)

Rise I think the ones they don't have are:

Your Face Tomorrow
Voyage Along the Horizon
Bad Nature
While the Women Are Sleeping

Maybe they will get them eventually. I'd like them to release YFT in one volume, which New Directions wasn't able to do.

message 8: by Rise (new)

Rise That would be a brick.

A good brick to hit the head against. :p

message 9: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) | 296 comments Marias turns down a gov't backed prize of 20,000 Euros:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/...

message 10: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) | 296 comments I think, given the awful mess that the Spanish economy is in, it makes sense (though I don't think that's his reason). Still I wish he could have accepted it and then turned around and funded...something. Spain is hurting so, right now. But I understand his feelings, given his father, and other great Spanish writers, never having been acknowledged w/gov't-funded awards.

message 11: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) | 296 comments No, I think he was a philosopher?

message 12: by Rise (new)

Rise The Book Depository has the paperback out in 5 days.