The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Book Hunting / Recommendations > Like Lee Child?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dons (new)

Dons | 14 comments Hello everyone... have read lee child, and the innocent by baldacci and feel for their writing. any other recommendation of LIKE writing and titles? thanks. :)

message 2: by Dipanjan (new)

Dipanjan | 44 comments Try Daniel Silva. His protagonist Gabriel Allon makes his appearance in the 1st of the series "The Kill Artist". He is a spy and he is pensive.

message 3: by Poornima (new)

Poornima | 57 comments You could try Harlan Coben.. One book I would recomemnd of his - Tell No One by Harlan Coben .. was unputdownable.

message 4: by Dons (new)

Dons | 14 comments Dipanjan wrote: "Try Daniel Silva. His protagonist Gabriel Allon makes his appearance in the 1st of the series "The Kill Artist". He is a spy and he is pensive."

i have most of his books but i just cant "pick" em up... will try that The kill artist:) thanks

message 5: by Dons (new)

Dons | 14 comments Poornima wrote: "You could try Harlan Coben.. One book I would recomemnd of his - Tell No One by Harlan Coben .. was unputdownable."

ok will read that as soon as i can :) thanks

message 6: by Guy (new)

Guy Poornima: Have you seen the French version of the film? It's terrific.

message 7: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie (Birdyseeds) | 382 comments Robert Crais' "Elvis Cole/Joe Pike" series would suffice, I think. Joe has many Reacher tendencies as well as his stoic nature. The earlier books do not feature Joe as much as they do, now, so you might want to start midway through the series. Personally, I really like Elvis, as well. He's a sarcastic goofball, and I have a weakness for sarcastic goofballs.(smile)

Someone has already recommended one of Harlan's books, but his Myron Bolitar series has a character, Windsor Horne Lockwood III (Win), who also makes appearances in each book...Don't let Win's size and pedigree fool you. He can practically kill someone with one finger (laughing) Plus, he's just a fun read. Win is the perfect example of why one should never judge a book by its cover. (smile)

let's see... you said you've read one of Baldacci's books, but you didn't mention his "John Puller" series.. John is definitely Reacher material. The first book that features him is Zero Day I think. His character is much like Crais' Joe Pike. You'll love him. Baldacci's "Camel Club" (this month's group read, by the way) series features an aging spook named Oliver Stone that you might like to check out, as well.

Vince Flynn's "Mitch Rapp" series would also meet your qualifications. Mitch is "the man". That's all there is to it. (laughing) He's a CIA "just go in and kill everyone if it needs to be done" guy. Plus, he's grouchy and sarcastic. His personality is probably more like Jack Reacher's than any other protagonist I've mentioned.

There's more I could mention, I'm sure, but my brain hasn't awakened yet. It tends to sleep in more and more with each passing year. (sigh) Happy reading!

message 8: by Poornima (new)

Poornima | 57 comments Guy wrote: "Poornima: Have you seen the French version of the film? It's terrific."

Hi Guy, didn't know there was a movie, thanks for the recommendation, will check it.. Hopefully will find the movie with English subtitles. :)

message 9: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie (Birdyseeds) | 382 comments Just began The Kill Artist...so far, so good! Reminds me a whole lot of Mitch Rapp Israeli style. (grin) Thanks for the recommendation.

message 10: by Tom (new)

Tom Paver | 1 comments Agree completely with the comments about Win in the Myron Bolitar series by Harlan Coban - a proper pantomime villain, with real menace attached. And yes, he really can kill someone with his finger.

...and, whilst I bend at the knee to the master (Lee Childs) someone described my character Joe Delahunty the other day as "like Jack Reacher with a twinkle in his eye." Now that I'll take!

message 11: by Dons (new)

Dons | 14 comments Jeanie wrote: "Robert Crais' "Elvis Cole/Joe Pike" series would suffice, I think. Joe has many Reacher tendencies as well as his stoic nature. The earlier books do not feature Joe as much as they do, now, so yo..."

wow! that took a lot of effort.. thanks much. and yes i read mitch rapp! hes cool no none sense fellow...

message 12: by Dons (new)

Dons | 14 comments Guy wrote: "Poornima: Have you seen the French version of the film? It's terrific."

there is a movie? any link (torrent)???

message 13: by Dons (new)

Dons | 14 comments Tom wrote: "Agree completely with the comments about Win in the Myron Bolitar series by Harlan Coban - a proper pantomime villain, with real menace attached. And yes, he really can kill someone with his finge..."

lol, il defintely read that! i wanna see mitch with the twinkle in his eye...:)