Happily Ever After Book Club discussion

Group Bookshelf

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 635 comments Mod
I've slowly started adding some of my favorite books to our group bookshelf. It'd be great if everyone added their favorites as well, I think it'd make a great place to go for recommendations. I'm probably just going to add my 4 or 5 star books, ones that I think others would really enjoy. Let me know if you have questions about adding books or creating new shelves. :)

Thanks!

message 2: by Katie (new)

Katie (Hiding in the Pages) | 188 comments Mod
Are Christian/LDS books okay to add or do you want to keep them free of all that?

message 3: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 635 comments Mod
I don't mind. I'll probably be adding some too. :)

message 4: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 166 comments Mod
Let's be honest Kath, if it's a favorite of yours, it is probably a fav of mine!!

message 5: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 183 comments Mod
Great idea!

message 6: by Sharon (new)

Sharon | 81 comments I don't have any books to add but I thought I'd pass on an insight I have I read a free down loaded book that was lent to me. It looked like it had some potential. I started to read and didn't get past the first couple of chapters. The language was crude and demeening. The book is called Dante's Girls by Courtney Cole. If you can get past the language or that kind of stuff doesn't bother you then it could be a fun read. Just putting that out there.

message 7: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 183 comments Mod
Always good to know! I will stay clear of that author. Thanks Sharon.

message 8: by Sharon (new)

Sharon | 81 comments Read a sweet little book called Pride and Parcipitation by Heather Horrocks last night. It was a quick read but fun. Had a great happily ever after. She has another one called Bah Humbug. Could be a fun Christmas book. I will see.

message 9: by Katie (new)

Katie (Hiding in the Pages) | 188 comments Mod
Regally Blonde was cute too--it has some of the same characters as Pride and Precipitation, but was a little more money.

message 10: by Sharon (new)

Sharon | 81 comments Ok I have to vent a little bit here. I have purchased the new Melanie Jacobson book Smart Move.

I have to say I do own all four of her books now and they are good. My one and only complant is in all of her books the hero has to convince the herione she is in love with him. I love the fact that her heroines are strong and independent and that nearly all of them are very goal driven. The thing that bothers me the most is that most men wouldn't or couldn't fight as hard to win the heart of the woman that loves him. I just get frustrated at some point in her books with these women are for the most part unyeilding until the guy wears them down. Maybe I am wrong and its just because I am in the middle of that part of the book but I gotta say its a fight with myself to finish.

message 11: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 635 comments Mod
Sharon- I like Melanie's books too, but her characters drive me nuts. I like relationships that feel more mutual, I don't mind a little work, but I don't like when there is one overly pursuing the other. I also think her female characts can tend to be a bit cold or too sarcastic at times. I found that a lot in her new book Smark Move. I was left wondering if they really would have a HEA. I can't imagine being married to someone where you're constantly having to win them over. Seems like you'd get burned out rather quickly. I do enjoy her books though...

message 12: by Sharon (new)

Sharon | 81 comments Kathy wrote: "Sharon- I like Melanie's books too, but her characters drive me nuts. I like relationships that feel more mutual, I don't mind a little work, but I don't like when there is one overly pursuing the ..."

I see we are on the same page!!!!

message 13: by Sharon (new)

Sharon | 81 comments Finished the Apothecary's Daughter at 1:00 am. I just hate it when you are reading a book it is late at night and you just have to finish what seemes like a few more pages and end up staying up until 1:00 am. The book was a good book not one of my favs but it was clean. I would recommend this book with probably 3 stars. I guess what I didn't like was all the death. But we are dealing with the medical professsion of the 1800 with blood letting and leaches ooowwww (shiver).

message 14: by Beth (new)

Beth Fred (goodreadscombeth) | 11 comments I don't know if this is the appropriate place but I want to recommend The Christmas Cottage by Samantha Chase. There is some implied sex but nothing is shown. It's a sweet love story that takes place during Christmas. I really enjoyed this one, but there was a lack of grammatical editing. Still, it's worth checking out.

message 15: by Sharon (new)

Sharon | 81 comments Just to let you know I snagged a copy of Drops Of Gold, Oh My Heck!!!!!! Not that I needed reminding but I was reminded of why Sarah Eden is one of my most favorite authors. I laughed I cried this book is running neck and neck with Edenbrook as my favorite. I am glad I was able to pick it up on New Years Eve. I was up until 3:00 am because I couldn't put it down. For those of you that have a seagull book and tape they have it in the stores soft cover only. Happy Reading!!!! And Happy New Year everyone!!!

message 16: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 635 comments Mod
Dang, I'm dying to read Drops of Gold! I'm stuck here on Japan and have to wait for it to come to ebook. I'm glad to hear it was good, makes me more excited!!

message 17: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 166 comments Mod
Thanks, Sharon!! I am so dying to read it too! What is Seagull book?

message 18: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 635 comments Mod
Deb- Seagull is like a cheaper Deseret Book. Of I remember right they are actually owned by the same company, but Seagull everything is usually on sale. :)

message 19: by Sharon (new)

Sharon | 81 comments Seagull book is primarily in Utah, Idaho and maybe Arizona. Seagull Book and Tape carries books Deseret Book can't. I am re-reading it. I guess that makes up for not having a kindle/nook and not being able to get a copy of Latin Lover. I have heard through the grapevine Sarah Eden is coming out with 2 more books this year towards fall. Don't know how true that is but I hope they are coming. Wouldn't that be cool.

message 20: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 635 comments Mod
Yeah, Sarah said she had five books coming out this year (this was a couple months ago), and three are already out (An Unlikely Match, Drops of Gold and a short story). I'm so excited that we still have two more to look forward to!! :)

message 21: by Sharon (new)

Sharon | 81 comments I just finished a book by Jaclyn M Hawkes called The Outer Edge of Heaven. I really liked this book. It was a fun read. LDS overtones and a clean read. As always it ended Happily Ever After.

I do have a question on another topic. I am getting ready to send my manuscript to a new publisher. They have a Author Questionaire. In it they ask for a media hook. It does give an example of what they want but I don't see I can use this example of a non-fiction hook to put together one for a work of fiction. Anyone who has published have any suggestions??

message 22: by Donna R. (new)

Donna R. | 63 comments I love the idea. I so enjoy finding well-written and entertaining books that I have either never read or haven't heard of before. This is a fantastic way to do that. Thanks for all of your great ideas and suggestions Kathy and let's read Chantele's book! I just added it to the group bookshelf.

message 23: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 635 comments Mod
Donna- I've read it and loved it. We should totally have it as one our monthly picks. I'll put it on next months poll. :)