She-Geeks discussion

Comic Books > New to Marvel

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stefani - SpelingExpirt, White Rabbit (new)

Stefani - SpelingExpirt (speling_expirt) | 307 comments Mod
I'm only just getting into Marvel too. I was told to start with the Road to Civil War. Sometimes it gets a little confusing but if you have a general idea of who Marvel characters are then you can figure it out. It involves the Avengers, Spiderman, Fantastic Four and many others!

I'm enjoying it so far.

message 2: by Kristin (new)

Kristin McTiernan Okay, my Marvel interest specializes in X-men characters and those who have interacted with them. I can say that Deadpool is one of the most awesome characters ever created. I have less attachment to the Avengers, but they have always been a good read too. For the X-men universe, I highly recommend reading two compilations: X-men Fatal Attractions http://www.amazon.com/X-Men-Fatal-Att... and Astonishing X-men http://www.amazon.com/Astonishing-X-M...

The reason for these choices is because you will get a lot of history on who is who, what has happened (major events) and you will also become completely emotionally invested in the characters. I recommend reading Fatal Attractions first, since it came out first. Astonishing X-men is written by Joss Whedon, so that should convince you of its entertainment value. Hope this helps!

message 3: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Marvel Adventures Spider-Man Amazing by Paul Tobin
I haven't read this particular volume yet, but I have read others in the Marvel Adventures series. They are exactly how I think Spider Man comics should be written. Each volume is a series of humorous short stories. There isn't a lot of feeling lost like you might get from other comics.

X-Men First Class, Vol. 1 by Jeff Parker
This starts you off from the very beginning of X-Men. It's also a relatively short series, so you don't have to follow it forever.

Marvel Fairy Tales by C.B. Cebulski
I just thought that this was a fun read. Fairy tales + superheroes = awesome in my book.

message 4: by michelle+8 (last edited Oct 22, 2012 09:23PM) (new)

michelle+8 (michelleplus8) Iron Man was my first love in comics, and I absolutely recommend starting with Iron Man: Extremis by Warren Ellis. I read that entire series of Iron Man (32 issues), and then moved on to The Invincible Iron Man by Matt Fraction. (Invincible Iron Man goes up to #33, and then skips to #500.)

Spider-Man is another of my favorites. I'd suggest starting Amazing Spider-Man with Big Time (issues #648-651). That's the current "era" of Amazing Spider-Man.

A brand new Hawkeye series just started recently. It's written by Matt Fraction, and is really awesome. I think #3 just came out last week?

message 5: by michelle+8 (last edited Oct 23, 2012 02:57PM) (new)

michelle+8 (michelleplus8) Oh, one more recommendation. If you like Spider-Man (and he's my absolute favorite, I have to admit), you might also want to check out Scarlet Spider. Kane was a clone of Spider-Man, created by one of Spidey's enemies, the Jackal. Since he was an imperfect clone, he spent his whole life dying of genetic abnormalities, and being used as a pawn in the Jackal's vendetta against Spider-Man.

Recently, during a Spider-Man event called Spider-Island (definitely a good read), Kane got a second chance at life. He helped Spidey save NYC, and has now struck out on his own as a reluctant superhero in Houston (my city, yay!) called Scarlet Spider.

message 6: by Anna (Bananas) (new)

Anna (Bananas) | 758 comments Gambit started a new run recently. I love that mischievous ladies man.

message 7: by Anna (Bananas) (new)

Anna (Bananas) | 758 comments Glad you like it!

message 8: by Bob (new)

Bob Marvel is having what I call a mini-reboot and I will be trying out The Fantastic Four and the All New X-Men. I think you might like those also.

message 9: by Bob (new)

Bob I read the 1rst issue of the All New X-Men yesterday and loved it. I'm looking forward to the rest of the series. The time travel aspect is what I was looking forward to also and it will be interesting to see how it all plays out. I hope you like it as well Chimney.

message 10: by Janelle (new)

Janelle | 4 comments Maybe some of you more familiar with Marvel can help me out, but I read about the character of Hope Summers and was trying to get a handle on what trades to read for her (and their order).

Gambit was one of my favorites on the animated show back in the 90s, I'll have to check out out his new stuff! :)

message 11: by Anna (Bananas) (new)

Anna (Bananas) | 758 comments Normally, I'm not into the superheroes, but is anyone reading Astonishing X-Men? I read a few issues and it's been pretty good. Thinking of sticking with it.

message 12: by Bob (new)

Bob I'm some of you have read my rant in the Pull Box subject so all I can say is Marvel Now, Marvel Now, Marvel Now. I eat sleep and drink it. That just isn't normal.................is it.

message 13: by Stefani - SpelingExpirt, White Rabbit (new)

Stefani - SpelingExpirt (speling_expirt) | 307 comments Mod
Does Marvel Now require a knowledge of the previous comics? Aside from Civil War I don't really know the Marvel characters.

message 14: by Bob (new)

Bob Stefani wrote: "Does Marvel Now require a knowledge of the previous comics? Aside from Civil War I don't really know the Marvel characters."

I think the Marvel Now titles would be a good jumping in point for you where you can get interested in the title without having to know the whole history of it.

message 15: by Mari (new)

Mari | 12 comments Hey Stefani. It's always good to know a little history about the character. If you ever want to find out more information you can always search Wikipedia. It's all pretty accurate information and even tells you the name of the storyline for the trade paperbacks. Also, comics usually put a summary at the beginning of the book to let you know what has been going on. Right now the only Marvel title I am invested in after the events in Avengers vs X-men is All New X-men, which so far has not disappointed me. I highly recommend it. Fantastic Four wasn't too bad. I haven't had a chance to check out all the Marvel Now. Right now, at my store, the popular titles are All New X-Men, Avengers, Indestructible Hulk, Uncanny Avengers, and Captain America, Hawkeye and Gambit.

message 16: by Belinda (new)

Belinda I just started the Ultimates, and at least with the first one the illustrations are freakin' awesome. I don't think it's new or anything, but it seemed to go well with my love of the Avengers movie... But does anyone know if the other Ultimates (Spiderman, Fantastic Four, and X-Men) relate to this arc? I can seem to find out anywhere, and I'm sad to see it only has a few volumes; I don't know where to go next!

message 17: by michelle+8 (new)

michelle+8 (michelleplus8) All of the Ultimate comics are set in the same universe. Ultimate Spider-Man interacts with the Ultimates, and the Ultimates Captain America and Iron Man both appear in Ultimate X-Men.

message 18: by michelle+8 (new)

michelle+8 (michelleplus8) PS, just be warned that there are TWO Ultimate Spider-Man comics. The first one was Peter Parker, which you should definitely read first. That series ended, and it sort of started over with Miles Morales. I can't really explain -- spoilers.

message 19: by MCTTAN (new)

MCTTAN | 11 comments Hi. I love DC and Marvel comics. I've only read DC, but not Marvel.
I was thinking of reading some original Marvel comics. Are there any websites where I can read original Marvel comics, like the 1960s "The Amazing Spider-man"?

message 20: by Ash (new)

Ash Mill (ashmill) | 43 comments Definitely gambit! the avengers is good. u could try spider-woman I havent read her yet.

message 21: by MCTTAN (new)

MCTTAN | 11 comments Ashton wrote: "Definitely gambit! the avengers is good. u could try spider-woman I havent read her yet."

I like the Avengers. (Well, I saw the movie and it was great.)
But Spider-Woman? I thought she was a fan-made character! ∑(O_O;) *fangasm*

message 22: by Ash (new)

Ash Mill (ashmill) | 43 comments I thought so to but I was reading this comic called woman of mavel and it has different passages bout different woman in the universe like black cat storm she hulk etc. at the end it tells u where each is from and one was taken from the spider woman comic series I want to read it so badly but havent got the chance to lookfor it :( tell if someone finds it

message 23: by MCTTAN (last edited Mar 25, 2013 02:44PM) (new)

MCTTAN | 11 comments Ashton wrote: "I thought so to but I was reading this comic called woman of mavel and it has different passages bout different woman in the universe like black cat storm she hulk etc. at the end it tells u where ..."

Here's a preview of "Spider-Woman," issue #1:
https://marvel.com/digitalcomics/view...

Sorry I can't find the full-comic online :(
I hope someone scans it and uploads it.

***I found out that Spider-Woman's first appearance was in "Marvel Spotlight #32." Then, she had her own self-titled series. Her secret identity was originally Jessica Drew, but later on there are other women with the name Spider-Woman (kind of like how there were several Robins in the Batman comic).

message 24: by Ash (new)

Ash Mill (ashmill) | 43 comments Thanks for your help!!!!!!! =) :D :)

message 25: by Amy (new)

Amy (amykate28) | 39 comments I want to expand my Marvel reading to Daredevil and Deadpool. Any suggestions on arcs or writers that are good starting points for these charcters?

message 26: by Lexxi Kitty (new)

Lexxi Kitty (lexxikitty) I tried Marvel when they had that Marvel Now thing. Just like I tried DC Comics when they had their New 52.

Tried a bunch. Superior Spiderman is the Marvel series that kept my attention but it's starting to lose it.

So can't help with recommendations. Other than Superior Spiderman.

message 27: by Corrina (new)

Corrina Lawson | 22 comments Hawkeye is great, as is Captain Marvel, including the series from last year and the new series that just started up. And I second the new Ms. Marvel. Kamala is great.

If you're looking for X-Men, I would start way back when with the Dark Phoenix Saga (in paperback) as so much of what happened there is still being used in the X-Men books. That said, the beginning of Wolverine & the X-Men series is good. And there's always Jim Steranko's classic "Nicky Fury: Agent of SHIELD."