Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Phelps caught with the bong, loses Kellogg!

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lori (last edited Feb 05, 2009 05:49PM) (new)

Lori Oh nooooooooooooo! He was caught on camera.......

inhaling!

Michael how could you?

So Kellogg drops him when his contract expires at the end of this month, because they're just not into him anymore. He doesn't embody a Kellogg persona.

Does Phelps smoking pot take away any admiration for him?

Jeez, the guy's been training 24/7 for his whole young life, let him live alittle! Hopefully his brain won't get scrambled, and he'll survive some partying times intact and say buh-bye to it.

Personally I think the women he's been dating are far more alarming, they're pretty sleazy from some accounts.

message 2: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (KSprink) | 11469 comments yeah, um, sometimes things appear better when you are high than they really are

message 3: by Lori (new)

Lori Oh so that's why he's been running around with the sleazy women?

message 4: by Lori (new)

Lori There's more:

"Michael Phelps has been suspended for three months by USA Swimming after the whole bong thing.

The organization has cut off financial support to Phelps for the three months as well.

USA Swimming said, "This is not a situation where any anti-doping rule was violated, but we decided to send a strong message to Michael because he disappointed so many people, particularly the hudreds of thousands of USA Swimming member kids who look up to him as a role model and a hero."

Michael won't fight the punishment."

He really did make a stupid mistake. He needs to get his act together.

message 5: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (KSprink) | 11469 comments maybe, or maybe he is spending all his coin on dope and can't afford the higher maintenance ones

message 6: by Lori (new)

Lori Oh see, now that would be sad for him. I was just thinking he was still in control. You could be right - he's lost in the wild times.

message 7: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (KSprink) | 11469 comments well, actually i don't know anything. i was trying to be funny. here are my real thoughts:

he is only 23 and is bound to make dumb mistakes but with great power comes great responsibility. you have to pay the price for mistakes in life. too bad his mistake was a minor one that LOTS of people make but it cost him millions in endorsement money when most of us just have massive stupid attacks in private. he could be caught up in all the pressures that come from being in the public eye so much but i suspect he mostly was just being a dumb kid. as for the companies dropping him, i think that #1 in these economic times they are getting more press and attention for free by dropping him and acting all high and mighty being against dope. this actually probably worked out great for them

message 8: by Matthieu (new)

Matthieu | 1009 comments Just wait until the cocaine and male prostitutes enter Michael's life...

Tim (Mole) The Gunslinger (Mole) lol thats funny Matthew whats the big frickin deal it coulda been tobacco for all they know pics can be faked as well when in doubt deny or lie!

Tim (Mole) The Gunslinger (Mole) Pot at least its not Crack! and I think steroid use would be far more upsetting he is the fastest stoner Ive ever seen!

message 11: by Matt (last edited Feb 05, 2009 08:34PM) (new)

Matt | 819 comments Once again, I thank the gods that the Internet, youtube, digital cameras, etc. weren't around when I was that age...

Although I realize that the guy is supposed to be an example for little kids by virtue of being an Olympic athlete, he actually earned some cool points in my shallow eyes because I no longer see him as some stilted human cyborg that only eats brussel sprouts and swims seventeen hours a day. If they were smart and unhypocritical, the folks that make Twinkies, Doritos, and Taco Bell would swoop in to sign him up for endorsement deals, because...well the connection is obvious...;)

message 12: by Lori (last edited Feb 05, 2009 08:45PM) (new)

Lori tadpole! I'm choking on my snorts and laughter!

message 13: by Matt (new)

Matt | 819 comments You should try not to laugh while hitting the bong, Lori.

message 14: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments Excellent experiential advice.

message 15: by Matt (new)

Matt | 819 comments Larry, I learned it from watching YOU! ALRIGHT!!!

message 16: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments The dumb thing he did was get video taped & caught, IMHO. The fact that he smokes dope now & then, for me, is a non-issue. It actually is a great muscle relaxer, which I'm sure is good for all the hell-bent-on-breaking-records swimming he does. As long as he didn't break the no-drugs policy while competing, so what?

I just don't see why weed is such an issue anymore. I won't go into all the arguments, cause y'all have prolly heard them (better for you than alcohol & tobacco, and no reported deaths from it - NONE, EVER), but WTF? Are we really still that uptight about a harmless herb?

Oh, yea... it's that whole the government hasn't figured out how to make money off it and we can grow it in our backyards thing. (rolls eyes)

message 17: by Lori (new)

Lori While I agree with you, here I sit at home pondering what to say when my 13 yo son announced a few weeks ago that pot didn't do anything. Weeeellll, says I, of course it does something, it changes your brain, how else would people get stoned, and and it makes you awfully lazy and unmotivated too, um um I says, annnnd it's bad for your lungs. If you want to play sports (as he does) then it will take your edge away.

All the while waiting for the big question - how would YOU know? *cough cough* *fondly remembering relieving the munchies with some damn fine hot and spicy crunchy Smitty's ribs while in college.*

So no, I wouldn't want my son to smoke it. Yet.

message 18: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments LOL Yup. Exactly. I keep discussing this with my hubby about how we will talk to our daughter about this when she 'comes of age' to know (she's 7 now).

Very good answer, especially in the light of the whole sports & competition issue. I don't see it as appropriate for youngsters, and it is a drug... it does change things in your brain... but, there are a hell of a lot of other things that kids can (& do) get into that are waaaaaaay more dangerous.

Kinda like the whole sex issue, I guess. No, I don't believe it's bad and Yes, most kids are going to try it, so hopefully I can help them understand all the implications about it in case they ever find themselves in that situation.

But, you don't get pregnant from smoking weed. Oh wait, um... I think that's how we got the kid in the first place. Ooops. ;)

message 19: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Matthew, it's early, I almost spit out my coffee...:)

I agree with Tad here, and I think I've said it before...if someone followed me around with a camera when I was his age, I'd be f--ked.

message 20: by Kirk (new)

Kirk | 154 comments I think it's a great opportunity to update cereal slogans. "Dudes, I'm Michael Phelps, and I'm a frosted flake. Really frosted..."

message 21: by Matt (new)

Matt | 819 comments "They're jones'n me Lucky Charms!"

...sorry, couldn't resist

message 22: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments Fits right in. Serendipity.

message 23: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Michael Phelps smokes pot from a bong and chases skirts.

He's also 24 years old.

If anything, all this tells me he's a healthy, red-blooded American young man. Who happens to swim like a fish.

So what's the big deal again?

message 24: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments The big deal is the millions of dollars the corporates are giving him to be their public image. It's their money -- so they have a right to pull the plug as they see fit.

message 25: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17313 comments Mod
True, true, Larry. And one could rightly say that he accepted a responsibility of maintaining that image when he accepted the endorsement and all the $$$ that flows from it.

Actions have consequences. They do. Even for 16-time gold medal winners like Phelps. But he'll be fine. With time, this will blow over and somebody else will screw up and he'll be able so scootch back into his golden-boy role. He does have to accept this right now.

message 26: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Agreed. It's Kellogg's right to pull him as a paid endorser.

Not that he'll be crying over it.

message 27: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (KSprink) | 11469 comments uh gus, it's the spilled milk from the cereal bowl he would be crying over

message 28: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments Boo hoo!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.