What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Proud To Be Amish
This topic is about Proud To Be Amish
248 views
SOLVED: Children's/YA > Children's book about Amish 11 year old, pre 1970s [s]

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sue (new) - added it

Sue (suep) | 3 comments Looking for a book about an 11 year old Amish girl, possibly named Rachel. She has a twin brother (Jake?) an older brother, and an older sister named Naomi, who's 22. She was very intrigued by the fact her sister, who was studying to be a teacher, was twice her age, but next year would only be 11 years older.

Rachel becomes friends with a girl staying with neighbors, who is not Amish. I believe her name was Gloria, and she had curly hair and a red dress. Rachel is jealous, and is also dealing with her twin's love of adventure stories on the radio, which he listens to in the barn.

There's also something about her dower chest, which her father buys her near the end of the book, on which are painted red tulips.

I'm pretty sure the cover was gold, and was probably older than the 70s, though I'm not sure how much older.

Note: This is NOT The Plain Girl. I've read that, too.


message 2: by Erin (new)

Erin | 33 comments This sound familiar to me, so I'm following in hope that someone knows the title.


Eden (tsalagi_writer) | 23 comments I think the book you are looking for is Proud To Be Amish by Mildred Jordan. I just read it this year.


Cheryl is busier irl atm. (cherylllr) Thank you for writing the only review for this intriguing book, so that we can have a better entry on Goodreads. I'll send a PM to the OP.


message 5: by Sue (new) - added it

Sue (suep) | 3 comments Eden wrote: "I think the book you are looking for is Proud To Be Amish by Mildred Jordan. I just read it this year."

That's it, thank you!!


Eden (tsalagi_writer) | 23 comments Sue wrote: "Eden wrote: "I think the book you are looking for is Proud To Be Amish by Mildred Jordan. I just read it this year."

That's it, thank you!!"


You're welcome. I'm glad I was able to help.

Cheryl in CC NV wrote: "Thank you for writing the only review for this intriguing book, so that we can have a better entry on Goodreads. I'll send a PM to the OP."

You're welcome. I try to write reviews for all the books I read.


message 8: by Sue (new) - added it

Sue (suep) | 3 comments That's the book, thank you all!


back to top

unread topics | mark unread


Books mentioned in this topic

Proud To Be Amish (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Mildred Jordan (other topics)