Happily Ever After Book Club discussion

Book & Poll Discussions > Book Chat - The Reluctant Bachelorette

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathy (last edited Sep 17, 2012 08:33PM) (new)

Kathy | 635 comments Mod
Hello all,
We are planning on opening the official discussion of RB in a couple days, Sep 20. We will be holding our discussion under this thread. Also, there is a new poll question up. Thanks!

message 2: by Katie (new)

Katie (Hiding in the Pages) | 188 comments Mod
I am so excited to start talking about this book. I LOVE LOVE LOVED it!!!!!

message 3: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 635 comments Mod
Let’s get started. From what I can tell, those who have read Reluctant Bachelorette enjoyed it as much as I did.

I think one of the things I liked the most was that the story didn’t play out how I thought it would. I kind of thought Luke would be on the show for the whole duration and that people would vote for him. I was pleasantly surprised when he got voted off and was wondering how things were going to work out. So, what are your thoughts about Taycee, Luke and what about Jessa? I had mixed feelings about Jessa and I’m kinda hoping she gets her own book. What was your favorite scene? What did you think of how Ms Anderson worked the hit Bachelor TV show into a small town setting? (I thought it was well done, BTW) Was there anything you would have changed?

Well, I think that’s a good start. I’m looking forward to seeing what everyone has to say.

message 4: by Katie (new)

I was also surprised when Luke got voted off, although I was kind of thinking he might sabotage himself. I was trying to picture how I would act if I'd had my heart broken and the guy showed up 10 years later. She must have been crushed pretty badly to have been that angry. I loved Luke!! He realized that his best friend's sister grew up and was so sweet to her...most of the time. Jesse was pretty underhanded. I know Taycee wouldn't have agreed to do the show if Jessa would have asked her to, but the way she went around it was pretty cheap for a best friend. I did like her though. I loved it when Luke showed up in the dump truck, Lumpy. I also loved the park/kiss scene. I was giggling when Taycee nominated Luke. I loved how the show worked into a small town setting and thought it went over well. Would I change anything? Hmmm....when I think of something that I might want different, I immediately think, "no, because it worked this way." So, no, I wouldn't change anything. How would any of you feel if your "best friend" pulled something like this on you? Do you think you can really find true love with one of these shows, especially if the girl has no say in who stays and goes?

message 5: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 166 comments Mod
I just have to say that I think Jessa needed best friend lessons!! I mean for real! Kath and I have chatted about this so sorry Kath. But, really she was a rough best friend. Everytime something new popped up I kept thinking, "Taycee, why on earth is this women your best friend." I agree with Kath, that Jessa would make a really cute second book especially if they followed her and that cute guy who's named I have blocked out(was is jake?).

I really did like Luke. I thought however that there was going to be some huge development to show how Luke had hurt Taycee. So I was pretty guarded about him for a while. Then when it came up that all it was, was she had a crush and was 14 and he left for college...I then decided she WAY over blew it. I then completly fell for Luke. I also liked the fact that it didn't take the exact path I thought it would. I too thought he would remain on the show and then be picked in the end. I like the twist. It was good. Over-all I really enjoyed this book. Who was your favorite character and why??

message 6: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 635 comments Mod
I was kind of hoping Luke would have stayed on a tad longer, I kind of enjoyed their “fighting”. I liked how it all worked out though. I also enjoyed it when he showed up on Lumpy! I really liked Luke; he was a good character and easy to root for. I could see why Taycee liked him so much, although… I did think she kind of blew things out of proportion. When it opened, I thought they had dated at the least, but it kind of turned out that she just had a SUPER big crush on him and he never really thought of her as anything but a friend at most, and probably more like a little sister. I thought she kind of overreacted to him not keeping in touch either. People usually lose touch when they move away. I kind of would have liked it if she had been a little more self-confident and hadn’t been holding back all these years for a guy who was little more than a crush. You know?

I thought Jessa was a bit rough, but I could kind of relate to her. I don’t know why, but I just liked her. Having said that, if she had tried that stunt with me, I probably wouldn’t speak to her again!!

To answer Katie, I don’t know if you can really find love in that setting. I guess you could, but it would be hard. I think you could definitely feel attractions and connections, but it would take time away from the show to really see if you’d work as a couple.

What did y’all think of her brother keeping his engagement a secret? I could get him being nervous about telling Jaycee he wasn’t moving home. But, I thought it was pretty lame that he kept his girlfriend and then fiancé a secret.

message 7: by Deborah (new)

I too don't think you can really find love in that setting. How can you really get to know someone, and I do mean the REAL someone. Most of us take a while to truly show our "soul."

I thought her Brother was the only real "off" thing for me. I think he should of been in it more so we could of believed their relationship. Also, why on earth would he get engaged and not tell his Sister. That was so odd. I mean she didn't even know he had a girlfriend. I also thought their fight was a little light, to have gotten so worked up about.

I also want to say I loved that day long date that Luke planned for Taycee. How sweet was he to take her to the wedding expo? I mean my honey is the sweetest man in the world and I don't think that idea would of even crossed his mind. I thought her love of flowers was sweet.

I just like how Rachel connected this sweet small town together. Does anyone else want to visit this town?

message 8: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 183 comments Mod
I just agree with all of you:) We are all much too alike;)lol

My only thing I wanted to add is that the ending to this book is now in my top 10 favorite endings EVER! I absolutely adored the "Sneakers movie/taylor swift slideshow proposal" LOVED it! I thought it was an adorable "fit" to the characters personalities.

message 9: by Kathy Jo (new)

Kathy Jo (kjincali78) | 185 comments Mod
I absolutley LOVED this book!! :o)

I'll start with Jessa. She definitely needed best friend lessons! I really had a hard time liking her character at times because there were things that she would say and do that reminded me too much of my former best friend and the way she treated me. Throughout half of the book I was trying to convince Taycee that she need to drop her as a friend, she was not healthy for her and she did not deserve to be treated the way she was being treated. But unlike my former friend, Jessa redeemed herself in the end... which was huge for me! And because she redeemed herself, I would like to see her have her own book... as long as it involves Jake! ;o) He was definitely a likable character for me!

Now for Taycee... I loved her! Yes there were things that she overreacted too and freaked out about but I enjoyed seeing her grow and realize that not everything is going to stay the same. Change is going to happen whether you want it to or not. That's just life! And you just got to learn to go with the flow!

And of course there is Luke!! Where can I find me one of him?! ;o) I really enjoyed the chemistry and the witty banter between him and Taycee. Those two kept me laughing constantly (which isn't a good thing when you are sneak reading at work)! I loved his long date with Taycee! It was super sweet! BUT my all time FAVORITE part of the book was definitely the epilogue!! *sigh* Like Heidi, I absolutely LOVED the "Sneakers movie/Taylor Swift proposal"! It was the perfect ending! I was driving to work earlier this week, rocking out to a CD I haven't listened to in forever and BAM! Love Story started playing! I turned the music up louder and had the urge to start reading this book all over again! :o) I will never think of that song the same again! Hehe.

message 10: by Natalie (new)

Natalie | 11 comments Great comments everyone! I agree with so many of them. I thought Taycee was such an interesting character. She slowly revieled to us that she is incredibly loyal. She was so loyal in fact that when Luke, her parents, and her brother left she just didn't understand. Add to that, the fact that Luke moved on and allowed himself to loose touch (forgivable if a little sad), and she was completely torn up about it. I think her extreme loyalty is what allowed her to continue to see Jessa as her best friend. I guess it was her loyalty that also kept her from being able to click with any man but Luke. That bugged me about her (why can't she have more self confidence darn it?!?). However, I think that type of loyalty will be a perfect fit for marrage.

The small town bachelorette show was interesting, and I think pretty accurately written. Reality shows are such stange animals, I could see this all happening (even the vote to see who stays on or goes. So not kind to the lady at the center of things, but I could see it done).

As for Luke, Jessa, and Taycee's brother. . . . I loved Luke! It's great that we got so much of his point of view. It was only through his opinions that we learned the true state of his and Taycee's relationship. Jessa was able to redeem herself at the end, but through a lot of it I really didn't like her. Taycee's brother was totally out of line! Once again, Taycee's loyalty (which could also be considered as her love) really saved this situation. I would have had a hard time forgiving that.

This was a great book! So fun to read and talk about. Thanks for the awesome first choice!

message 11: by Deborah (new)

Can I just AMEN the hec out of what you all were saying about the proposal. Sweetest and cutest ever. I love thoughtfulness and I truly thought that is what Luke showed about himself. When he gave her that coupon at the beginning of the show for fries and then the hours of the awful waitress, so she could avoid her. So cute! Then the date he took her on. It was all about her. She really gave him a bad rap at the beginning of the book. I actually think I will love his character even more the second time through.

message 12: by Deborah (new)

Also Natalie, I really like how you described Taycee. I guess if you really want to dig down deep, it motives are that she is very loyal. I never even thought of that. My Dad has always told me that our greatest strengths are also are greatest weeknesses. I think this is the case with her. Loyalty is a great strength, but in her case it also became something that did bring her un-happiness because she couldn't control it. This is why I love bookclubs. I love the discussions it brings out.

message 13: by Katie (new)

Great description, Natalie!! And Deborah...that's sooo true--especially in Taycee's case. I must agree, that proposal was sooooo amazing. I haven't seen Sneakers and now I really want to. :)

message 14: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Waters | 68 comments LOL well there is NOTHING for me to add!! Haha I was trying to come up with some controversy just to add spice to the discussion but seriously the book had nothing wrong with it!!! Ok, maybe it did but I don't remember any of it now :) VERY good choice in a book!!

Ok I HATED her best friend!! I wouldn't keep a friend like that around. but I could see how Taycee needed her.

message 15: by Teryn (new)

Teryn | 120 comments Thank you for the book choice. It is one I wanted to read anyway, but this gave me an excuse to get to it earlier.

I agree with all of you. Great discussion! Not much to add(he he he). I also loved the proposal. :)

message 16: by Teryn (new)

Teryn | 120 comments Okay, I guess I do have something to add. Although her friend redeemed herself a little, I do feel that she only admitted her fault in the situation to two people, and it was after everything worked out for the best. It is hard to admit you are wrong in any situation, but if you can admit it in the thick of things I feel that that speaks highly for your character. I still feel Jessa wasn't a very good friend and she annoyed me. Glad she had a LITTLE redemption at least.

message 17: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Waters | 68 comments HA! Wouldn't you know now that we all have bought and read the book it is only $0.99 or free for prime members on Amazon! lol

message 18: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 183 comments Mod
grrrrr just my luck:0)

message 19: by Katie (new)

Ha, that's funny...kind of. At least it was $2.99 well spent!!

message 20: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Waters | 68 comments Haha yes at least it was an amazing book!!!

message 21: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 183 comments Mod
yea, def. worth it!

message 22: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 635 comments Mod
:D Seems like that happens to me a lot. But, now that it's s cheap it makes a great gift!

message 23: by Deborah (new)

$.99 is a great blessing!!

message 24: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 383 comments I loved the ending too! That was super fantasitc way to propose. Very creative, and fit the story perfectly. I thought Jessa could use some work, although she did grow a lot through the book.

One of my favorite lines at the beginning of the book was when Taycee was thinking "...maybe he could be a jerk for not being a jerk. Yeah, that might work."

Such a fun book. Can't wait to pass it on to my sister.

message 25: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 635 comments Mod
I'm so glad everyone enjoyed the book as much as me. I remembered something else I liked about the book. I'm a sucker for lost-love storylines (if you have any recommendations, let me know) and one of my favorite things is when the couple has their first meeting after being apart for X many of years. I loved in this how she was being lippy with the waitress when Luke sows up. They had a great "meet cute".

message 26: by Toni (new)

Toni (tonipugmire) | 10 comments I enjoyed the book and loved the ending! Great fun read. I enjoy all the comments and think this is a great book site. Thanks for including me.

message 27: by Chantele (new)

Chantele Sedgwick | 19 comments AND ... I totally missed this conversation. I really enjoyed the book though! And I LOVED the ending! :D Next time I'll pay attention to when you start the discussion! lol :)

message 28: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 635 comments Mod
Chantele- the discussions are always open. :) We usually plan to have the official discussions around the 20th of each month. We're going to be reading Sarah Edens new book next, I can't wait!

message 29: by Sharon (new)

Sharon | 81 comments What is Sara Eden's new book called?

message 30: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 635 comments Mod
An Unlikely Match, the author said it should be available on Amazon some time this week.

message 31: by Sharon (new)

Sharon | 81 comments Kathy wrote: "An Unlikely Match, the author said it should be available on Amazon some time this week."

Cool a new book to read!!!!!!

message 32: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 635 comments Mod
I decided to read this one again, I was in the mood for a good chick lit book, but nothing was calling out to me, so I thought I'd read this one again. I enjoyed it just as much this time around.

I actually ended up liking Jessa so much more this time. I think I understood her better, maybe. She was working so hard on the show and trying to save the town, she may have been a bit impulsive nominating Taycee to be the Bachelorette, but it was done with good intentions. She trusted that Taycee could carry off the show and would be fun to watch. She just underestimated how much Taycee did not want to do the show.

I felt bad for Jessa when she realized Taycee was dating Luke off camera. So much was riding on the show, not only were they trying to raise money to save the town, but her own job and reputation were on the line as well. It was pretty selfish of Taycee to not consider how her actions would affect Jessa, the town and the bachelors. She was totally caught up in her own world.

I would have liked if Taycee hadn't been so obsessed about Luke. I get she had this crush on him, but it would have been nice if she had matured and grown over the ten years they were apart. It actually reminded me of a good friend of mine who always had a crush on this guy that was never interested in her. She would compare other guys to him and in the end it was just kind of sad that she couldn't get over the schoolgirl crush.

I did like how Taycee and Luke got to know each other as adults and build a good relationship. I think I mentioned it before, but I loved her proposal at the end!! So good.

Anyway, I know this discussion was over a year ago, but since I re-read the book I had to jot down my thoughts again. :)

message 33: by Katie (new)

Oh wow--I totally want to read this again now!!

message 34: by Sharon (new)

Sharon | 81 comments I have re-read this one again. I do think it is a fun lite read. I have read many bachelorette books and it is not my favorite genre whether books or tv shows. Having said that I did like this book. I love how she tries to sabotage his being on the show. I do agree it was disappointed in her lack of maturity in her and the relationship. But I do love a HEA ending. Great fun summer read.