SOS: Serious Overload of Series discussion

Archive: Past Book-of-the-Month > [Nov 2012] "Alice in Zombieland" Discussion **Spoilers**

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28410 comments This is the discussion thread for our November BOM: Alice in Zombieland by Gena Showalter.
Spoilers Welcome Here

Please include in your discussion:
* How would rate the character development, originality, and action?
* What did you think of the world building?
* Is this the first zombie story you've read? If not, how did this story compare to other zombie-related stories you've read in the past?
* Did you like the 'Alice in Wonderland' retelling?
* Did you have a favorite quote or scene?
* Would you recommend the book to others?
* Do you plan on reading the rest of the series?

message 2: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (last edited Nov 01, 2012 12:54AM) (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28410 comments I read this one in Oct.
You can read my full review here.

Thoughts on BOM ?:
* How would rate the character development, originality, and action?

I would rate of these high. Gena did a great job of putting her own twist on zombies. The characters were well-developed and likable. The action or way that the group battled the baddies was pretty cool. Wish I could (view spoiler) like that.

* What did you think of the world building?

I liked it. I thought she did a good job setting the stage so we know what's what. She's created an enemy that is similar to that of demons in other books, but could be classified as a zombie the way that they feed on us. The world is present day, but with the existence of these zombies and those who can/not see them.

* Is this the first zombie story you've read? If not, how did this story compare to other zombie-related stories you've read in the past?

It's not my first z-read, but this doesn't really compare to other, IMO. They aren't your typical George Romero zombies.

* Did you like the 'Alice in Wonderland' retelling?

It's not a retelling. Sorry, my assumption was wrong. ;)

* Did you have a favorite quote or scene?

Yep, just don't have time to pull them out. Alice's BFF is HILARIOUS! Kat's quotes would probably be the one's I'd think to share.

* Would you recommend the book to others?

Definitely! It's YA, so there's that, but the characters are all likable and the twist on zombies was interesting (to me).

* Do you plan on reading the rest of the series?

Yep!

message 3: by Jenne (new)

Jenne  (jennetheinstigator) | 1179 comments Steph did this one scream YA?

message 4: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28410 comments A bit b/c scenes place in HS.

message 5: by Ezinwanyi (new)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 2513 comments I LOVED this book. I actually read it since it was BOM. Great writing. This was my first zombie book and it wasn't gory like I remember the movies. No one was screaming "brains" etc.

I loved Alice, Cole and her bestie Katie

message 6: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28410 comments LOL! Nope, no screaming zombies in this one. Really liked her twist on the zombie theme. Glad you enjoyed it.

message 7: by Daffodil (new)

Daffodil (daffodil--ripcranberry) | 2098 comments I read this over the weekend and really enjoyed it. I liked the different take on zombies and had fun finding all the little nods to Alice.

Kat was great. She told me so. True Story. ;D

I thought the cover artist did a fantastic job. All those tiny skulls hit just the right note. And in the Chapter header art, they're easy to mistake for flower buds at first glance.

message 8: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28410 comments Daffodil wrote: "I read this over the weekend and really enjoyed it. I liked the different take on zombies and had fun finding all the little nods to Alice.

Kat was great. She told me so. True Story. ;D"

LOL! She was a hoot.

I liked the twist on zombies too.

I'll be reading Through the Zombie Glass when it comes out.