Completists' Club discussion

Kazuo Ishiguro
This topic is about Kazuo Ishiguro
Authors I-L > Kazuo Ishiguro

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by K.D. (new)

K.D. Absolutely (oldkd) I've read all his novels but I am looking for that story or stories that he got published in The New Yorker.

message 2: by Lobstergirl (last edited Apr 10, 2013 10:45PM) (new)

Lobstergirl | 123 comments I will probably end up being one too.

Novels

A Pale View of Hills (1982)
An Artist of the Floating World (1986)
The Remains of the Day (1989)
The Unconsoled (1995)
When We Were Orphans (2000)
Never Let Me Go (2005)

Screenplays

A Profile of Arthur J. Mason (Original Screenplay for Channel 4)[20][21] (1984)
The Gourmet (Original Screenplay for the BBC; the script was later published in Granta 43)[22] (1987)
The Saddest Music in the World (Original Story) (2003)
The White Countess (Original Screenplay) (2005)

Short fiction

Introduction 7: Stories by New Writers (Faber and Faber, 1981): ‘A Strange and Sometimes Sadness’, ‘Waiting for J’ and ‘Getting Poisoned’
"A Family Supper" (Esquire, 1990)
"A Village After Dark" (The New Yorker, 2001)
Nocturnes: Five Stories of Music and Nightfall (Faber and Faber, 2009)

Film adaptations

The Remains of the Day, directed by James Ivory in 1993
Never Let Me Go, directed by Mark Romanek in 2010

message 3: by Teresa (last edited Sep 18, 2012 01:27PM) (new)

Teresa As you know, I have too, K.D., and I have read The New Yorker story. Can you not access this link where you live?
http://www.newyorker.com/archive/2001...

As far as I know, that's the only one of his published in the New Yorker. I need to read "A Family Supper" (it's available as a Word doc at www.fhv.umb.sk/app/cmsFile.php?ID=1308) that was published in Esquire in 1990 and those in Introduction Seven: Stories by New Writers.

I've also read a screenplay of his called "The Gourmet" in Granta 43: Best of Young British Novelists 2.

message 4: by Jessica (last edited Sep 18, 2012 01:53PM) (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) | 296 comments I've read all of his novels but not his screenplay for 'The Saddest Music in the World,' or was it a story that film was based on? Also not sure I've the stories you mention, will look into them.

message 5: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Jessica wrote: "I've read all of his novels but not his screenplay for 'The Saddest Music in the World,' or was it a story that film was based on? Also not sure I've the stories you mention, will look into them."

Wikipedia lists '... Music ...' as an 'original story' under his list of screenplays. I've seen "The White Countess," but not read his original screenplay for it.

message 6: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl | 123 comments Is he working on another novel? It's been about 4 years since Nocturnes and he publishes every 4-6 years.

message 7: by Lobstergirl (last edited Jan 21, 2014 04:46PM) (new)

Lobstergirl | 123 comments Teresa wrote: "As you know, I have too, K.D., and I have read The New Yorker story. Can you not access this link where you live?
http://www.newyorker.com/archive/2001...
"

Nice, it's free. A lot of the New Yorker is behind a paywall.

I recently read that story whilst cleaning up an old pile of unread New Yorkers at the bottom of a closet.

message 8: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) Checklist for my personal reference:

Novels

An Artist of the Floating World (1986)
The Remains of the Day (1989)
Never Let Me Go (2005)

Film adaptations

The Remains of the Day, directed by James Ivory in 1993

message 9: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) | 296 comments my own favorites of his:

When We Were Orphans and
The Unconsoled

message 10: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl | 123 comments Some critic said somewhere that you don't read Ishiguro, you only reread him. (Because his narrators are so unreliable, or his novels unfold so gradually, we don't know completely what's going on until we've finished reading. Then we have to start over and read what we've already read with a new awareness.)

It's almost time for me to reread Never Let Me Go, which was the first thing by him I read, so I really had no expectations.

message 11: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) | 296 comments interesting. I've thought of rereading my favorite 2, esp. When We Were Orphans, which takes such unexpected turns. I should do that.

message 12: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl | 123 comments I think half of When We Were Orphans went over my head, so I'm sure I will reread that at some point.

message 13: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl | 123 comments There's a new Ishiguro coming out! Excited.

The Buried Giant

message 14: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) | 296 comments oh wow, thanks lg! I didn't know. Looking forward to it!