The Producers discussion

Starting Line Contest > SLC- how it works

Comments Showing 1-50 of 171 (171 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Amy, And salute when you say that! (aka Storm) (new)

Amy (runawaymarbles) | 474 comments Mod
This is how the next contest will work;

We will choose one sentance, which MUST BE THE FIRST SENTANCE of a story. It should be 1-2 chapters; say 3,500 words maximum. this is to be individual, and a noncompetitive competition, just to see where we all go from the same starting line.

If you have questions, feel free.

MusicFrogg126♪ (musicfrogg126) When is the sentance being sent out?

message 3: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (livibooks3) How is that sentence chosen?

Squiggles{Kelly} (squiggles) | 99 comments Marisol prolly decides...*waits*...i really want to do this one. But that's sorta impossible without a sentence...

message 5: by T.O.L.I. (new)

T.O.L.I. (taleoflostink) | 101 comments hmmm i would like to know the sentence pleez

message 6: by Sella (new)

Sella Malin It's in a poll! :D

message 7: by T.O.L.I. (new)

T.O.L.I. (taleoflostink) | 101 comments O.o

message 8: by T.O.L.I. (new)

T.O.L.I. (taleoflostink) | 101 comments thankies

message 9: by S (new)

S | 8 comments When does the poll close?

message 10: by T.O.L.I. (new)

T.O.L.I. (taleoflostink) | 101 comments idk but VOTE FOR THE FIRST ONE!!!!!!!!!!!

message 11: by S (new)

S | 8 comments I want the one about "I didn't know it would kill him.."

message 12: by T.O.L.I. (new)

T.O.L.I. (taleoflostink) | 101 comments aw...that would be ok too....i just dnt want the third one

message 13: by Squiggles{Kelly} (new)

Squiggles{Kelly} (squiggles) | 99 comments itz randomized sooo...yesh, i knew it waz a poll, but...I WANT THEEEE SENTENCE...>.< *waitswaitswaits*

message 14: by T.O.L.I. (new)

T.O.L.I. (taleoflostink) | 101 comments lol

message 15: by Amy, And salute when you say that! (aka Storm) (new)

I like the goldfish one

message 16: by Amy, And salute when you say that! (aka Storm) (new)

Poll closes... tomorrow.

message 17: by T.O.L.I. (new)

T.O.L.I. (taleoflostink) | 101 comments so what is it?!

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

I didn't realize it might kill him. It could have happened to anybody. There were hundreds of people at the park, and at least half had ridden the Ferris Wheel. It could have been me. It could have been the little girl with the blond pigtails above us. It could have been the red-faced man that manned the Wheel. Anyone. Anyone, except for him.
"Let's ride on the Ferris Wheel," I had begged, pulling my brother's arm towards the ride.
He shook his head. "You know I'm afraid of heights."
"Please?"
"Rachel..."
"Aw, come on, Josh..."
"Fine. As long as you have tickets..."
I gave him a pleading look. He laughed and pulled the right number of tickets out of his pocket, trashed his slushie, and let me yank him once again towards the Ferris Wheel. I felt smug at getting my way, and hurried to get a place in line. We didn't have to wait for long.
Josh let me go in first, then tentatively sat on the edge of the seat, arms wrapped around the pole that marked the center of the car.
The two people across from us, a man and his daughter, sat in relaxed positions. Apparently they had done this before. Gradually the Wheel began to turn, and our car rose, despite the rusty metal and peeling pink paint. I gazed over the park, watching the people turn into ants.
Then there was a gunfire, and Josh was on the ground, blood pouring out of his head. The girl screamed bloody murder, but I just knelt, feeling the dizzy height of the Ferris Wheel. Tears blurred my vision until all I saw was Josh's body on the floor of the car and the my strangled screams mingled with the girl's.
"I'm sorry, Josh," I whispered.

message 19: by S (new)

S | 8 comments YAY! It's "I didn't realize that it might kill him . . ." That's the one I voted for. :-D

message 20: by T.O.L.I. (new)

T.O.L.I. (taleoflostink) | 101 comments yayzers.. that one is good.

message 21: by S (new)

S | 8 comments I didn't realize that it might kill him . . .no, really. How was I supposed to know that it could be possibly fatal for a hamster to be let loose. . .in the basement. . .in the middle of the winter. . .? Okay, so maybe I didn’t use my common sense. But I never use my common sense. Why? Because I don’t like it. Common sense is for stuffy old grouches like-er, let’s not name names here, all right? All right. You see, it all started one cold day last November. . .
My little brother was playing with our hamster, Perseus, in our basement. (It’s one of those finished ones. We have a playroom down there.) Yes, yes, I know, that’s a weird name for a hamster. But Ted’s a fan of the Percy Jackson books, what can I say? At least his name was better than our (now deceased) rabbit’s-Ted had been going through Maximum Ride at the time and had insisted on calling the bunny “Fang”. Imagine it-this cute, tiny, fluffy little rabbit-with the name FANG printed in blood red on his collar. It was like Bunnicula, I tell you. (Oh, that’s a great series. You should read it, if you haven’t already. A bit young for our age group, maybe, but-ah, never mind. I’m getting hopelessly off topic.)
As I was saying, Ted was playing with Perseus. Perseus was a small brown hyperactive ball of fluff. He was Ted’s pet, really, but I somehow got roped into caring for him. Bleh. Ted was petting him, and talking to him, and feeding him little treats, acting like a responsible pet owner. (Responsible? Ted? *snort* That will be the day.) Then our mother stepped into the room.
Our mother is a nice woman. A bit annoying at times, but all in all quite caring. And she’s a pretty good cook, too. When she pulled open the door, I winced, sure that she was here to bust me for last night’s scandal involving a fork, dishwashing soap, and a snowball. I licked my lips nervously and prepared to tell the whopper of my life, but, as it turned out, that wasn’t necessary. Instead, all Mom said was, “Ted! Phone’s for you!” and disappeared back downstairs.

That's the beginning of mine! It's going to be a humor story, despite the "serious" starter sentence. I have more written up....I just have to figure out how to post stories on here.

message 22: by Amy, And salute when you say that! (aka Storm) (new)

Nice. You just go on your profile and there will be a 'write a story' link.

hmm. Hamsters. Interesting idea :)

message 23: by S (new)

S | 8 comments Thanks!

Yep. I didn't want to write a sad piece, because I'm bad at stuff like that...so why not have the victim be a pet?

message 24: by Amy, And salute when you say that! (aka Storm) (new)

lol

message 25: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) can anyone do this contest thing?

message 26: by Amy, And salute when you say that! (aka Storm) (new)

yes

message 27: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) and where do we submit or post it to?

message 28: by Amy, And salute when you say that! (aka Storm) (new)

upload it to goodreads, then send me the link in a message or here and I'll make a list.

message 29: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) thanks marisol

message 30: by Amy, And salute when you say that! (aka Storm) (new)

sure :-)

message 31: by Squiggles{Kelly} (new)

Squiggles{Kelly} (squiggles) | 99 comments i'm working on miiiinnee...but i've been busy and i hope no-one took my idea....it ish sad though. totally. :D

message 32: by T.O.L.I. (new)

T.O.L.I. (taleoflostink) | 101 comments i have to start

message 33: by T.O.L.I. (new)

T.O.L.I. (taleoflostink) | 101 comments IM STARTING!! YESH

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Excuse me, I've been trying to contact Marisol. Marisol, when I'm finished with my version of the story, how do I get it to you? Do I e-mail it to you, or do I post it in my writing?

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh, nvm. I got it. I post it in my writing. Okay, sorry for the bother!

message 37: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 26, 2009 03:10PM) (new)

Okay, here's my submission! Follow the link and read, please!

http://www.goodreads.com/story/show/3...

And here's an excerpt of the first few paragraphs to spark your interest:

I never realized it might kill him.
I was standing, half-dazed, before the large oval mirror my mother had bequeathed me. My bedroom had fallen dim from the dusk shadows thrown about the corners of the bed and the ceiling, and I was standing, not moving, all alone.
I twisted the small hat in my hands in anxiety. Then, swiftly, as if I had suddenly made up my mind about something, I caught up the long black tresses that tumbled over my shoulders and plaited them. I coiled up the long snake-like braid up against the back of my head and tucked it neatly beneath my small woolen cap, pulling down the visor low over my eyes as if to hide them. I shrugged on a large grey wool coat that reached down to my knees, took up an old umbrella as a precautionary measure, and trudged downstairs and outside into the fog.

Please read and enjoy!

(Oh, it's two chapters, so don't forget to read all of it! Thanks! ;D)

message 39: by Elaine (new)

Elaine (caladhiel) Is there a judge for this contest of is it just for fun without a winner? Just wondering.

Also, is there a dead line? I have an idea for mine, but I need to get around to writing it.

message 40: by Squiggles{Kelly} (new)

Squiggles{Kelly} (squiggles) | 99 comments the deadline is March 1st. usually Marisol sets up a poll.

:)

message 41: by T.O.L.I. (new)

T.O.L.I. (taleoflostink) | 101 comments yeah and then we let the people vote...

message 42: by Elaine (new)

Elaine (caladhiel) Thanks! Cool! =)

message 43: by Elaine (new)

Elaine (caladhiel) Oh, dear! Now I have two ideas!!!!!!!!!!!

message 44: by T.O.L.I. (new)

T.O.L.I. (taleoflostink) | 101 comments XD

message 45: by Elaine (new)

Elaine (caladhiel) I think I'm going to stick with my first idea, but keep my other one as a fall back, just in case.

message 46: by Amy, And salute when you say that! (aka Storm) (new)

lol.

message 47: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 18 comments Hi!
My story is in my writing section, under Leslie's writing, but how do I get it over here? Where are you guys getting the links from? I still don't know how to do this part, but the story is there, so I hope it counts!
HELP!!

message 48: by Elaine (new)

Elaine (caladhiel) Just go to were your story is, copy the link at the top of the page, come back here and paste it. Hope this helps! =)

message 49: by Elaine (new)

Elaine (caladhiel) Alright, I have mine up!!!!!! It's called "Butterfly" and is very sad. Please read and comment!!! =D

http://www.goodreads.com/story/show/3...

I didn't realize it might kill him. I hadn't meant to hurt him at all. I'd just wanted to fly. And now Seth was gone. Lost. Dead.

message 50: by Elaine (new)

Elaine (caladhiel) Sheva, I can't find yours.

« previous 1 3 4