Completists' Club discussion

Roberto Bolaño
This topic is about Roberto Bolaño
Authors A-D > Roberto Bolaño

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by K.D. (last edited Sep 17, 2012 05:23PM) (new)

K.D. Absolutely (oldkd) I belong to this thread or hoping to have the right to belong in here.

I've read and enjoyed "2666" and followed it right away with TSD. I am dreaming of being like you, Mike. Having completed not only the novels but his other works. However, I can only dream. We don't have good libraries here in Manila.

message 2: by Tom (new)

Tom Willard | 17 comments I have read 5 books by Bolano as I am rationing him slowly as he is amazing! I think I need to challenge Nazi Literature of the Americas soon.

Mike, have you read much Cortazar? If you like the Latins, then you will love him!

message 3: by MJ (new)

MJ Nicholls (mjnicholls) | 211 comments I could see myself slowly getting through RB's oeuvre, now the two monster books are done. Of course, I'd have to try By Night in Chile again, which would be painful.

message 4: by MJ (new)

MJ Nicholls (mjnicholls) | 211 comments Mike wrote: "Knife in my heart--BNiC remains one of my favorites."

But it's just a man gibbering on his death bed for 120 pages! Why is that one of your favourites? (I know I'm being v. reductive here, but my point sort of stands).

message 5: by MJ (new)

MJ Nicholls (mjnicholls) | 211 comments Pedophilic priests, shitting pigeons and melancholy falcons. What's not to like?

William Herschel (williamherschel) | 7 comments Could we have this link to Roberto Bolaño?

And, squeeee, reading Bolano is like breathing. I can't justify his sprawling sentences but god, I'm in love with it and the smoking poets and the... and the... I wish I were more eloquent. The rambling characters and death.

What did you think of his poetry? He seems to have considered himself a poet but wrote novels to pay the bills? Clarify/correct. His obsession with poetry in his novels makes me apprehensive towards it, like if I read it and found it awful it might break something somehow.

message 7: by Kris (new)

Kris (krisrabberman) | 23 comments I'm just following all of your threads, Mike. I've been rationing my Bolaño so I don't finish all his works too soon.

message 8: by MJ (new)

MJ Nicholls (mjnicholls) | 211 comments Hey Mike, could you add a list of all the Bolanos in English to your first post? It'll be handy to have the completed works listed at the top.

message 9: by MJ (new)

MJ Nicholls (mjnicholls) | 211 comments You could always cut and paste the Wiki biblio . . . hint hint

message 10: by Rise (last edited Sep 21, 2012 08:04PM) (new)

Rise A writer close to my heart. I've read the translations save for three - The Third Reich, The Secret of Evil, and Tres. But I'm not rushing. No, I'm not rushing.

message 11: by Dharmakirti (new)

Dharmakirti | 27 comments I've only read 2666 and I very much enjoyed it. I have The Savage Detectives sitting on my shelf. I will get to it some day.

message 12: by Dharmakirti (new)

Dharmakirti | 27 comments Mike wrote: "You'll find TSD much less 'demanding' than 2666--nowhere else in RB's works is there anything quite like The Part about the Crimes."

The Part About the Crimes is the reason I was attracted to 2666 and as heavy as it was, it was my favorite part of 2666.

I discovered 2666 while I was listening to the track Juarez by Tori Amos (from her album To Venus and Back) and I decided to do a google search to see if there were any novels that dealt with the homicides in Ciudad Juárez. I was glad I discovered the novel and the writer.

message 13: by Ben (last edited Sep 24, 2012 11:47PM) (new)

Ben Winch (ben_winch) | 20 comments The Savage Detectives is one of the most perplexing books I've read. At times it seemed so self-romanticising it was like juvenilia (Belano as camp-caretaker rescues the kid from the cave, the swordfight on the beach, Belano as super-lover with some editor's daughter), but at the same time it showed guts to write like that, a kind of guts I don't know if I've seen in the Anglo world - not these days, anyway. By the end I thought, well, that was half brilliant and half terrible. But I was very curious to hear that 2666 was on the way, and when it came out I was amply rewarded; it was streets ahead of TSD in terms of maturity, I thought. But maybe I did myself a disservice reading this mature work too early, because after that all the short novels just felt like going backwards to me, and none of them really grabbed me. The poems (The Romantic Dogs) were maybe the part of the back-catalogue I enjoyed most, apart from a couple of short stories. A friend wants to lend me Antwerp and Tres so I guess I haven't finished with the man yet. Oh yeah, and I loved the book of non-fiction (Between Parentheses).

message 14: by MJ (last edited Sep 25, 2012 12:38AM) (new)

MJ Nicholls (mjnicholls) | 211 comments It seems to me RB works better in the obese novel format, but he always goes on a little too long. As fun as it was, I had to bring TSD to a premature close. The flipside is the thin novels, which to my mind lack the imaginative scope of the fatties. He never seemed to be able to compromise between epic/novella.

message 15: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) | 296 comments and yet, his short stories are fantastic. They were my first introduction to Bolano and I cannot praise them highly enough. Beautifully written, nothing seemingly forced about them, his short stories offer humor, language, character, story in a form that does not in any way feel 'artificial' (as much short fiction by contemporary American writers does to me, for ex.).

message 16: by Rayroy (new)

Rayroy (lomaxlespark) | 14 comments "The Savage Detectives" is one of the best novels of all time!

message 17: by Jim (new)

Jim If anyone is interested, this short story group will be reading and discussing Last Evenings on Earth beginning on September 1st. I nominated the book, so I'll be joining the discussion. FYI, the moderator opens a separate thread for each story and you can drop into each discussion on your own schedule.

http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/1...

message 18: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) | 296 comments That is a terrific collection. Good to know