Bel Canto Bel Canto discussion

greatest parties in literature

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dickon (last edited Sep 17, 2012 03:12PM) (new)

Dickon Edwards Hi. Fans of 'Bel Canto' might be interested to know that Mr Hosokawa’s 53rd Birthday Party is featured as one of the 40 Greatest Parties In Literature, according to the book 'A Curious Invitation': http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15...

Jean Carlton This is one of my favorite books by Patchett...an excellent writer.

Gregory Rothbard I loved this book and would read more Patchett. She does very well with the closed in setting, we can really slow down and begin to sense these characters thoughts.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I wouldn't call it a great party when so many end up the with worse than hangovers.

Jean Carlton I agree - party may not be a good word to use - it's not a party in the sense most of us think about parties - very different because of the circumstances....the group learned so much about each other and we as readers got insight into how diverse groups thrown together in a serious situation interact and learn to tolerate and in fact enjoy each other and bond - Read Poseidon Adventure for more of that!

Debbie Cohen I loved this book! It was more of a party gone bad, but never a dull moment.

Erin Glover I loved the transformation of the characters at the party. The most beautiful woman there is not quite so beautiful with graying roots and no makeup. One of the "boy" captors is actually a beautiful woman. A shy captive (or was he a guard?) has one of the most beautiful voices in the world. And at the end, who is guarding whom? I bought this on kindle but it's definitely one for the book shelves.

Melinda Brasher LOVE this book. So much complexity in the characters and their relationships.

Jane(Pixie) Melinda wrote: "LOVE this book. So much complexity in the characters and their relationships."

I get you, just tell me other books like this. Bel Canto has it all.

message 10: by Lacy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lacy M I absolutely love Patchett to death, I've read several of her works and they are all excellent just like Bel Canto, her characters have such a real feel to them that my heart always bleeds for them.

message 11: by Mary (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mary Hmm A real feel but not realistic. She writes beautifully but it would have been better without the epilogue

message 12: by Mary (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mary Dickon wrote: "Hi. Fans of 'Bel Canto' might be interested to know that Mr Hosokawa’s 53rd Birthday Party is featured as one of the 40 Greatest Parties In Literature, according to the book 'A Curious Invitation':..."

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

Mr Hosokawa dies as a result of this party! But maybe he thought it was worth it.

Libscigrl Mary wrote: "Hmm A real feel but not realistic. She writes beautifully but it would have been better without the epilogue"

I agree. The book was amazing...until I read the epilogue :(

message 14: by Lara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lara The epilogue was totally unnecessary and ruined the magic. Rip it out.

Tamara Philip such a wonderful book!! it resonated with me in a way few books ever do!

Paula Yes agreed--an incredibly fine book with a rather unnecessary and oversimplifying epilogue.
For me, one of the finest parts were the scene when the young woman and Jen finally, at last . . . Really, *this* is how you write such a scene; it is unmatchably done.
And of course the other finest part was the ending (of the real story--without the epilogue).
As an author, I am fascinated too with how she introduced her characters in that setting, how she handled plot issues as when she has one character wonder how a group of "terrorists" could be so incompetent, etc.