Goodreads Feedback discussion

Suggestions & Questions > The "Browse Books" option

Comments (showing 1-9 of 9) (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 999 comments Can I just ask if the changes to the Browse Books pages are permanent? Restricting the option to show less than 1 percent of the books on Goodreads, and to only show the oldest books at that, would seem to be a waste of time and effort. You might just as well remove the option completely.

Elizabeth (Alaska) There is a "browse books" option?

message 3: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 999 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "There is a "browse books" option?"

Not at the moment, no.

Elizabeth (Alaska) I must have been confused about your original comment that asks about a Browse Books page. (Which I would love, I think.)

message 5: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 999 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "I must have been confused about your original comment that asks about a Browse Books page. (Which I would love, I think.)"

Well, to be precise, there was/is a page called Browse Books
http://www.goodreads.com/work/list
although it was never entirely obvious what it showed since many of the books were not in any discernable order. What it did do was give you pages of books. The later pages would change every few days (sometimes every few hours) and show different books from the 20+ million available (often, but not always, the very newest books). Interesting.

The current version seems to be stuck and only lists 148,551 books.

Elizabeth (Alaska) Oh - thanks! I think I've seen that before, but since it's not easily accessible/linked, I had forgotten about it. While I'd like browsing, as I said above, it's probably dangerous to a person's wish list/to read/plans for the future reading.

message 7: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 1461 comments I don't know why it's named Browse Books, but I thought Otis explained once that those pages were created for computer search use, not for use by humans.

message 8: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 999 comments Deborah wrote: "I don't know why it's named Browse Books, but I thought Otis explained once that those pages were created for computer search use, not for use by humans."

Super Librarians and Goodreads Employees are computer enhanced, not mere humans!

I haven't seen that reference by Otis but they were interesting pages and I will miss them if they are gone forever.

message 9: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 1461 comments I tried searching for it, but couldn't find it. It wasn't recent, at least a year ago, probably longer.