21st Century Literature discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived General Discussions > All Hallow's Eve Special - Books Chosen - Leaders chosen

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by William (last edited Sep 19, 2012 04:18PM) (new)

William Mego (willmego) so the people have spoken, and 6 books chosen. Those books are..
#1, Moderator Pick: The White Tiger will be lead by Mikela.
#2, Non-Fiction: Every Love Story is a Ghost Story: A Life of David Foster Wallace will be lead by Sophia.

#3, Young Adult or Children's: The Graveyard Book will be lead by myself.

#4, Paranormal: House of Leaves will be lead by Mikela as well....please note, this book will be a TWO MONTH read due to it's complexity.

#5, Sci-Fi and Fantasy: The Windup Girl will be lead by Deborah.

#6, Mystery OR Western: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time will be lead by yours truly.

I'm sure some of you will be disappointed that some special project didn't win, that's always a hazard with polls for any book. I know I personally have a lot of feeling for my nominations, neither of which won, and that it can be difficult, seeing as with a pick such as non-fiction, we don't plan on picking non-fiction for the foreseeable future.

All I can say is that there's no rule says you can't read whatever you want, and we have no rule about discussing ANY books you care to in something like the book chat folder, you can even get involved to start a project on a specific book and lead a discussion on it, just contact me. I know that with my Sci-fi pick, it's more than good enough to qualify as a regular read, so I'll nominate it...in November! Then December, etc etc. I highly recommend you do the same if you've got a pick which you believe in. You'll wear us down!

I'll rustle up leaders for these picks next.

message 2: by William (new)

William Mego (willmego) Ok, we have leaders, edited the above post to show that.

message 3: by William (new)

William Mego (willmego) Changed the initial post to reflect we've changed the read of House of Leaves to a two month read, as it's quite a challenging book.

message 4: by Julie (new)

Julie (readerjules) | 197 comments Will wrote: "Changed the initial post to reflect we've changed the read of House of Leaves to a two month read, as it's quite a challenging book."

I have heard that it is a good idea to have three bookmarks for this book. One for the regular section, one for the footnotes, and one for the appendices.

message 5: by Mikela (last edited Sep 20, 2012 11:59AM) (new)

Mikela I put the word out that I was starting House of Leaves and received the following hints to help navigate the tricky waters of the book. Goodread members are fantastically helpful!

"Use multiple bookmarks. Use 3: one for keeping track of where you are in the main story, one for keeping track of where you are in the footnotes, and one for keeping track of where you are in the appendices. It helps to keep the flipping back and forth from getting tiresome or irritating. Keeping a notebook and pen or pencil handy wouldn't be a bad idea either.

2. Don't skip the footnotes! I've read reviews that said they just read the main story and went back and read the footnotes after, or they didn't bother with any of the appendices at all. Totally the wrong way to approach this book. When the main text cites a footnote, read the footnote. When it says for more info see appendix A, then see appendix A.

3. On that note, you will quickly learn what footnotes you can skim (for example, footnotes that are lists of camera equipment or names of people credited with working on a project) and which ones you need to read

4. Don't get discouraged or overwhelmed if it seems like you are reading it at an excruciatingly slow pace. I was shocked at first when I saw that 2 hours into it I was only on something like page 27. But it's deceptive in that way. You are not reading in a linear fashion. It may look like you're on page 27, but how many pages of appendix or footnotes have you read by that point? Because you're reading the back of the book at the same time as you're reading the front, you actually end up finished with the book when you reach a point somewhere near the middle. There are also sections where there is very little text on each page and those fly by very quickly."

I'm really looking forward to sharing this experience with you. Happy reading!

message 6: by Sophia (new)

Sophia Roberts | 1324 comments WOW! Sounds like a really interesting and challenging book.

message 7: by Mikela (new)

Mikela Should be a lot of fun and lead to some interesting discussions. What I've read so far is far from boring!

message 8: by William (new)

William Mego (willmego) yeah, actually you just increased the likelihood of me buying that book tenfold.

message 9: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 1692 comments Mod
Will, I couldn't help noticing, when I pulled up the Amazon page for "House of Leaves" that "people who buy this book also buy . . . Infinite Jest."

message 10: by William (new)

William Mego (willmego) Don't get me wrong, I might have thrown IJ once, but DFW is perhaps the greatest writer in the english language of his generation. Any book would be thrilled to be as good. Non-standard narratives don't faze me in the least, it was simply the 2nd chapter and a few after it which I felt failed to deliver on the exceptional promise of the 1st chapter of IJ, which upon reading I quite literally thought to myself, 'This might be the greatest first chapter in literature.'

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.