UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

General Chat - anything Goes > Dream Dinner Guests.

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Gary (new)

Gary Murning | 46 comments So you've been down to Tesco and stocked up on some microwave meals and a few bottles of fizzy plonk and while you are polishing your brass lamp (not a euphemism) that your granny left you in her will later that evening, a genie pops out (also not a euphemism) and tells you that, should you wish it, you can invite four literary types around for dinner. They can be dead or alive (even the dead ones will turn up alive, if you see what I mean—no fun, otherwise), from any period in history and so on and so forth. Who would you choose?

My choices would be:

Christopher Hitchens.
John Irving.
Tolstoy.
Ken Kesey.

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments Douglas Adams
Terry Pratchett
Anne McCaffrey
Spider Robinson

Hmmm.. I seem to see a theme there!

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments I expect Douglas Adams and Terry pratchett will need to go on a diet after this.

Douglas adams
Andy mcnabb
Agatha Christie
Umberto Eco.

message 4: by Gary (new)

Gary Murning | 46 comments Douglas Adams ALMOST made it on to mine—along with his pal Richard Dawkins.

Rosemary (grooving with the Picts) (nosemanny) | 9081 comments Definitely Samuel Pepys, renowned gourmet (and gourmand...)
Sandy McCall Smith. I don't particulary care for his books, but he is erudite and entertaining.
Douglas Adams, natch.
And finally Iain Banks, so we could have a proper whisky tasting

message 6: by Karen (new)

Karen Lowe | 2335 comments Wouldn't want anyone who'd criticise my cooking or be too picky!
Dylan Thomas, tho wd need to get more booze in.
And the wonderful Molly Parkin.
Lots more booze.
They'll never notice the burnt carrots.

message 7: by Philip (sarah) (new)

Philip (sarah) Willis | 5174 comments Bram Stoker
Arthur Conan Doyle
Cornelius Harker
Dennis Wheatley

They will have to come for lunch as I would be too scared to meet them in the dark!Must remember the garic and cheesy wotsits.

message 8: by Anita (new)

Anita | 3758 comments Ian Mortimer,
C. J. Sansom,
Tad Williams,
Bill Oddie for all his bird books.
If you didn't eat all the garlic and cheese wotsits could you pass a few over please Sarah, something to nibble on whilst I listen to them talking, thank you.

message 9: by Katie (last edited Sep 17, 2012 03:24PM) (new)

Katie Stewart (katiewstewart) | 853 comments Victor Hugo
Charles Dickens
Juliet Marillier
Ursula Le Guin

...although, with my cooking, I should probably have made sure all four were dead already.

message 10: by Kath (last edited Sep 18, 2012 01:00AM) (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments I'll come to Sarah's! Or failing that -

Cornelius Harker,
M T McGuire
Ken Magee
Darren Humphries
Andy Barrett
(and our lovely Simon as referee. Just because I like them all doesn't mean they'll like each other!

message 11: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18537 comments That's similar to my line up Ignite but I couldn't pick just 4 of our authors cause I'd like to have them all for dinner.

Shaun
Karl
Steve
Cornelius
(I could go on all day)

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments I have had dinner with Darren Humpries.
na ne na

message 13: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18537 comments Simon (Highwayman) wrote: "I have had dinner with Darren Humpries.
na ne na"

*shakes fist in a mildly annoyed manner at Simon*

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments So have I!

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments I was just about to mention having dinner with that other up and coming author in the group.... whatsername.

message 16: by Gary (new)

Gary Murning | 46 comments Feeling a little disappointed, now … does no one want to have dinner with me? I'm cheap and very easily pleased, and have a good line in filthy limericks.

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments I might have a free slot for a coffee some afternoon...

message 18: by Gary (new)

Gary Murning | 46 comments Oh, well, I suppose we all have to start somewhere ;-)

message 19: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments Breakfast Gary?

message 20: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments Okay.

Churchill
Dalai Lama
Che Guevara
Anne Frank

message 21: by Gary (new)

Gary Murning | 46 comments Ignite wrote: "Breakfast Gary?"

Your place or mine?

message 22: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments How far do I have to walk?
Bone idle aren't I?

message 23: by Gary (new)

Gary Murning | 46 comments Don't worry, Ignite. I don't think you're too far away, so I'll send my driver ;-)

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Gingerlily (or Cyberlily..) wrote: "I might have a free slot for a coffee some afternoon..."

Ouch.

Ouch ouch ouch.

Patti, you're a mod. Keep biting your tongue.

OUCH OUCH OUCH

message 25: by Gary (new)

Gary Murning | 46 comments Patti (Migrating Coconut) wrote: "Gingerlily (or Cyberlily..) wrote: "I might have a free slot for a coffee some afternoon..."

Ouch.

Ouch ouch ouch.

Patti, you're a mod. Keep biting your tongue.

OUCH OUCH OUCH"

Probably best if I say nothing, too. Ever so difficult, though, given my Carry On sense of humour :-)

message 26: by Philip (sarah) (new)

Philip (sarah) Willis | 5174 comments Anita,sorry I didn't check this thread,sending the garlic and Cheesy Wotsits straight over.
Ignite,I have set another place for you. Mind the cobwebs,Cornelius didn't dust himself down when he came in!

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Philip (sarah) wrote: "Anita,sorry I didn't check this thread,sending the garlic and Cheesy Wotsits straight over.
Ignite,I have set another place for you. Mind the cobwebs,Cornelius didn't dust himself down when he came..."

Gary. Help.

I believe we share the same humour cell.

Oh ouch

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments Sigh....

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Deep cleansing breaths, GL.

Oh...Iowe...Pattti...money....

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Do you grok?

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments I'm going back to bed.

message 32: by Darren (new)

Darren Humphries (darrenhf) | 6980 comments Screen writing Gods Aaron Sorkin and Joss Whedon, comedienne par excellence Victoria Wood and the inestimable Stephen Fry.

message 33: by Nick (new)

Nick Wastnage (nickwastnage) | 231 comments OK. Don't really know all you guys, but take it as read that Ignite, Patti, Gingerlily, and Simon are there. Then, how about Stephen King – he can always tell a good story, Salman Rushdie, then Delia Smith to do the cooking, Jamie Oliver to tell her what to do, and Christopher Hitchens – if we can get him back – to stir it all up!

message 34: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Barrett | 1612 comments Interesting mix here.

I think I'd go for Stephen King too, though I don't think he's much of a talker.
And how about Stephen Hawking: great stories - sat nav voice.
Bernard Cornwell, love his Winter King trilogy.
And my wild card would be Tim.

Of course, I'd love to eat at Ignite's house. I would even bring my own bib, and would leave my Kindle at home. Well, okay I'd leave it in the car then.

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments Nick wrote: "OK. Don't really know all you guys, but take it as read that Ignite, Patti, Gingerlily, and Simon are there. Then, how about Stephen King – he can always tell a good story, Salman Rushdie, then Del..."

Ooooh!! Free dinner! When should I arrive, and should I bring a bottle of rum?

message 36: by Nick (new)

Nick Wastnage (nickwastnage) | 231 comments Well, it could have been tonight, but just had a major techie crisis with iPhone and laptop and tearing my little-left hair out, so I think we'd better pause for a while. Taken to the rum already!

message 37: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments Andrew - you're already on my hit list!

message 38: by Gary (new)

Gary Murning | 46 comments Okay, so Andrew, Patti and I (the latter two providing carry on humour in a conversational tagteam manner) will be dining at Ignite's. Do we have a date? And who else?

message 39: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Barrett | 1612 comments I'll bring a sophisticated after-dinner game.

Twister.

message 40: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments You could make stephen king a birthday dinner today

message 41: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments I'm changing the menu now I know what Andy's idea of sophistication is!

Beans on toast, anyone?

message 42: by Gary (new)

Gary Murning | 46 comments Beans on toast and twister sounds perfect! As for Elle's suggestion of a Stephen King birthday dinner … Would really like to invite him—just to ask him WHY a sequel to The Shining?! Poor guy must be short of cash :-)(Incidentally, my agent once called me Yorkshire's answer to Stephen King: I fired him a few weeks later (though not because of that, honest!))

message 43: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments Too many carbs for me, I'm afraid. I'd have to have it without the toast. Or the beans.

Jay-me (Janet)  | 4325 comments I don't know who to invite.............

just that there is no way I'd be doing any of the cooking unless people want to eat burnt offerings.

message 45: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments You can have the diet version Tim. I'll describe it to you!

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

Not sure it's a good idea to play twister with people who have been eating beans....

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Good point Karen.

message 48: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments Ignite wrote: "You can have the diet version Tim. I'll describe it to you!"

Air Pie and Windy Pudding again, eh?

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments I really hope you didn't drop an 'H' just then, Tim.

message 50: by Gary (new)

Gary Murning | 46 comments Windy Pudding makes me wonder if that's all he'll be dropping, Patti …

« previous 1