Earth's Children discussion

Which are your favourite characters?

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Crystal (new)

Crystal | 29 comments Which are your favourite characters?

message 2: by Crystal (new)

Crystal | 29 comments Apart from Ayla being my idol! I think Creb/Mogur is a really interesting character, the two sides of him are so different and i have alot of respect for him. I really feel for him the way he was treated growing up, and how he wanted to be with a woman but he stopped trying when they looked at him disgusted, but as usual Jean writes with such purpose and evrything she writes, she writes for a reason and, only because of the way Creb grew up does he become the greatest Mogur of all clans and because of the way he grew up he understands how Ayla feels (different) and has compassion for her when others dont.

message 3: by Crystal (new)

Crystal | 29 comments Nobody likes my question, I feel like such a failure

Jiaka1981 Winfield My favorite character was Ayla of course and Rydag.

message 5: by Lorna (new)

Lorna AH I cant remember his name...the big loud redhead man who's the boss of the mammoth hunters!
I dont really like Ayla...she's too smart, too perfect. The only fault Jean has given her is that she cant sing.

message 6: by Crystal (new)

Crystal | 29 comments Oh yeah Rydag was a great character, I forgot about him. Yeah I felt really maternal about him. Yeah I know what your saying about Ayla, she's almost too perfect, I thought about this for ages and it bothered me but then my friend suggested that Ayla is not really one person and that she actually represents the whole race of Cro-Magnum, and that sat better with me, what do you think?

message 7: by Lorna (new)

Lorna Meh...it's not like she's the only Cro-magnum in the books...I really like the books, but I would relate to Ayla better if she wasn't so perfect! :D

message 8: by Rachel, Hot Mod (new)

Rachel (rachelsessum) | 109 comments Mod
My favorite character was Madenia, the little girl who was raped by Charoli's group in Plains of Passage. Her story was so heartbreaking, but felt very real. Everything about her and her situation felt authentic. For some reason I really felt a connection with her, even though she was just a bit player.

Of the regular characters, I would definitely have to say that Ayla is my favorite. I know it is a little cliche, but she is so cool.

message 9: by Shay (last edited Aug 30, 2009 01:28AM) (new)

Shay | 5 comments Lorna wrote: "AH I cant remember his name...the big loud redhead man who's the boss of the mammoth hunters!

That's Talut, I liked him too!

message 10: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8 comments Well of course Ayla because it feels like you have grown up with her and Mamut of the cave lion camp. I haven't read them all yet. I am just now starting Plains of Passage so that could change.

message 11: by Tierney (new)

Tierney | 17 comments I love jondalar and thonolan, the two brothers, together, they are my perfect pair of people. Jondalar being beautiful, serious, strong and sensitive. Thonolan being complete opposite and funloving :) x

message 12: by Joanne (new)

Joanne | 2 comments Ayla! I love her and have since I first read Clan of the Clan Bears when I was 12ish!

message 13: by Rachel, Hot Mod (new)

I find it interesting how many people get into this series when they are really young. Especially since it is clear that Jean M. Auel did not intend for these books to be juvenile fiction.

Do you think this has something to do with the fact that were better able to relate to Ayla because we had the element of youth in common? It is certainly easy to read the books and think, "Wow, I am only 12. I don't know if I could do that if I were her." Then we also had the opportunity to grow with her, which I think cemented the bond. I mean, I don't think anyone reading the books feels as though they are worthy of a Nobel Prize, but having that bond with the protagonist is what I think drives us on.

message 14: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I know I read this when I was only 12 or so, and I am positive identifying with Ayla is what made me love it. No, I was never raised by cavemen, raped, ostracized, blonde, taller than everyone...you get the idea, but everyone feels different at times when they are young. Sometimes you feel like you aren't as good as those around you for whatever reason, but there are also times you feel better than others, but misunderstood. Unappreciated. The fact that Ayla truly is ahead of the Clan, but treated with scorn and disdain, no matter how sad and scary for her, gives young girls hope that some day they too will be recognized for their potential.

message 15: by Rachel, Hot Mod (new)

You weren't taller than everyone? Lol, I find that unlikely my Amazonian sister.

message 16: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Weeeelllll, I may have been, but not head and shoulders above the stooped and hunched, hairy fellow clansmen! LOL

message 17: by Rachel, Hot Mod (new)

Hmmmm. Speak for yourself. lol

message 18: by Kandice (new)

Kandice But, I had 4 brothers, all of whom are at least 6'2", and 3 aunts who are 6'4", so I didn't really feel tall. (everyone else may have been hairy, though)

message 19: by Rachel, Hot Mod (new)

Wow, 3 aunts who are 6'4"? They sure grow 'em big in the South, don't they?

I was always heartbroken that I didn't make it to 6' tall. I really believe that if I hadn't gone on the coffee binge rebellion when I was 14, I would have been 6' tall. It haunts me.

message 20: by Kandice (new)

Kandice My mom is the shortest at 5'10" (maybe 11, depending on who's measuring;), same as me. Runts.

Oh, and that coffee binge did NOT do it. Every single person in my family drinks coffee like water. Chicory when we can get it, but strong, black, no matter what.

message 21: by Rachel, Hot Mod (new)

Maybe you all would be 7' tall... lol

message 22: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Rachel wrote: "Maybe you all would be 7' tall... lol"

In that case, perhaps I should start my children on coffee IVs.

message 23: by Rachel, Hot Mod (new)

No kidding. You go do that right now. lol

message 24: by Rachel, Hot Mod (last edited Jan 20, 2010 03:21PM) (new)

And what exactly is Chicory coffee?

message 25: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Chicory. Poor people in the south used it when they couldn't get or afford real coffee. It's very strong, a little bitter and just tastes more southern (to me) than regular coffee. Too bad Seattle's Best nad Starbuck's don't carry it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicory

message 26: by Rachel, Hot Mod (new)

Ah, apparently chicory in coffee came from France. That would explain how it ended up in the South.

message 27: by Rachel, Hot Mod (new)

I don't drink coffee anymore, but I do like Postum and things like that. Once you have enough years since you last had coffee and you put in enough flavored coffee creamer, it tastes just like coffee, lol. Unfortunately, I found out that they are not making Postum anymore. That really bummed me out.