Eragon (The Inheritance Cycle, #1) Eragon discussion

Who thinks the movie Eragon sucks compared to the books?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 289 (289 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

Andrew The movie didn't have any details and all the characters wre wrong!

Helen Stevens the movie was a terrible adaptation. It gave Eragon a completely different motivation, for one thing - in the book he left Carvahall to seek out the ra'zac to take his revenge for them killing Garrow.
In the film, he left Carvahll to go on the run FROM the Ra'zac! That completely changed the whole feel of the character and the story for me. And that was just the first gripe in a long list of complaints.
I tried to watch the film a second time to give it another chance, and I got so annoyed I ended up turning it off half way through!

Tommy Downes I do.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

The movie really sucks.

Rachel Agree. The movie was a sad interpretation.

Fatin The movie was just...awful, like Jessica said, not just awful compared to the books, but just awful.
The book isn't that great either. It's written poorly. I still enjoyed it though.

Elizabeta The movie was so bad that I couldn't finish watching it.

VG/Allie Everyone in the world thinks that. it was so bad that it made me and a group of friends burn copys of the movie

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Veggy wrote: "Everyone in the world thinks that. it was so bad that it made me and a group of friends burn copys of the movie"

Wow.

VG/Allie yea sad i know, but it was fun....

Rebecca Book all the way!! The movie left out too many details. Specifics are important to me ^.^ I preferred the movie that was playing in my head when I read it compared to the crappy excuse for a movie that was released.. I guess Eragon's not really a book for you if you don't have the patience to sit and read through all of Paolini's extremely detailed descriptions. But I guess that is both a good and bad point. Impatient people get turned off, but then again, it gives an extremely clear picture of what Alagaesia was like.

Blackbird I remember being very disappointed with the movie adaptation.

Jacob Samantha wrote: "Honestly, I preferred the movie. I found the book to be kind of boring and poorly written, and the story wasn't anything special. The movie wasn't exactly great, especially since they made Eragon o..."

I thought the movie was awfully dreadful. I screamed sooo much watching them get all the characters and story wrong. The book was great and the movie was total trash.

message 14: by Joni (last edited Sep 24, 2012 08:31AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joni Isaacs The book was definately much better...the movie was just ok and I think they could have done a better job indeed...I myself wouldn't mind if they made eldest into a movie also, but I would hope that they would put much more effort and thought into it. A movie is never as good as the book itself and it really only entertained my twin 10 year olds.

Devaux121 Smith the way i see it, you have to rate a movie on in two separate categories. 1.) How it was as far as a movie is concerned? Did it hold up to what the previews seemed to promise? As far as this one went I thought it held up pretty well. It was a little to fast going, but I have remind myself, in this step I'm not thinking about the book I'm thinking of the movie. Step 2.) how does this movie hold up to the book? In this aspect most movies fail miserably and I'm sad to say this one is no exception. It missed many specific details I though painted a huge picture for the whole thing.

Meghana THE WHOLE PLANET. Not only did the movie have terrible acting, but it ripped all the plot points to shreds, and turned it into some cheap action flick while losing every important detail in the book.

Christine Koehne Agree. Books are better

message 18: by ★ gwiz ★ (last edited Sep 24, 2012 06:53PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

★ gwiz ★ Breaks my heart with the bloody butcher job they did to one my fav book series. There was so much that was cut out of the movie that brings the books to life.

Fatin Joni wrote: "The book was definately much better...the movie was just ok and I think they could have done a better job indeed...I myself wouldn't mind if they made eldest into a movie also, but I would hope tha..."

Watch Lolita and A Clockwork Orange by Stanley Kubrick. ^_^
I like them better than the books.

message 20: by Samantha The Escapist (last edited Sep 25, 2012 05:19AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Samantha The Escapist Samantha wrote: "Joni wrote: "The book was definately much better...the movie was just ok and I think they could have done a better job indeed...I myself wouldn't mind if they made eldest into a movie also, but I w..."

The movie is better than the book because it had sigourney weaver?

Seems unfair to say that, there are already so many inequalities when it comes to judging books versus movies but to start penalizing books that do not feature actors and actresses that we like? Where does it end?

I'm kidding of course, and I have not read the (Alien) book. I think there are some cases where a movie keeps up with a book or turns the story into something a little different which is perfect in movie form - a movie will never cover all the aspects of a novel and we should all stop expecting it to.

Anyway I'm with the rest anyway, the clunky directing, bad dialogue and poor acting even by Jeremy Irons killed it for me. Rachel Weisz was alright voicing and Garret Hedlund was good enough to stand out thoroughly and begin my love affair with him in that movie.

I watched the movie with commentary and most of the time the director would say his reasoning for choosing something was "it looked cool" so it's nice to know we all didn't miss the deeper meaning.

Anyway the book was longwinded and a little bad but I have a soft spot for the book series, don't know why.

OP you really should have asked if anyone actually liked the movie since this topic turns up on every Eragon board every couple weeks or so and it's always the same response. The other Samantha is the first person I've ever seen defending it.

★ gwiz ★ Samantha wrote: "
The movie is better than the book because it had sigourney weaver?"

I enjoy Sigourney Weaver but I didn't remember her in Eragon so I went and check the cast list (below). Not sure if she was in it I would have like the movie any more than I did. I would have love seeing her acting as I did with some of the cast that was in it, but the story truely SUCK. I would love to see someone take the series and give it the detail that Jackson did for Lord Of The Rings. I think it could be Epic.

Here is the list of cast members from the movie Eragon

Edward Speleers as Eragon
Jeremy Irons as Brom
Sienna Guillory as Arya
Robert Carlyle as Durza
John Malkovich as Galbatorix
Garrett Hedlund as Murtagh
Alun Armstrong as Garrow
Chris Egan as Roran
Gary Lewis as Hrothgar
Djimon Hounsou as Ajihad
Rachel Weisz as the voice of Saphira
Richard Rifkin as Horst
Steven Spiers as Sloan
Joss Stone as Angela
Caroline Chikezie as Nasuada

message 22: by Samantha The Escapist (last edited Sep 25, 2012 12:00PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Samantha The Escapist Lawl Gwendolin I was responding to Joni's point comparing the movie Alien to the book Alien.

I do agree with you that the Eragon movie could be some decent fantasy fodder for a proper movie made with Jackson's efforts.

Who knows, they rebooted Spiderman and that was a very successful series, perhaps with all these extra books getting movie deals someone might reattempt the Eragons with a competent director.

That being said though I'm sure the Spiderman reboot was a unique circumstance as it was Disney backing it with all their money and I suspect they needed a new Spiderman for the next big comic book hero film series they get to in a few years.

Mafalda the movie was terrible. it didn't get almost anything right!

i dream of one day becoming a director and make the remake myself... of course it's a dream, maybe, who knows?

I just know that Eragon the movie sucks and lots of people didn't read the book because of it!

And Arya is not blond!! Or flirty!! It pissed me off so much the arya character from the movie. x)

Mafalda Veggy wrote: "Everyone in the world thinks that. it was so bad that it made me and a group of friends burn copys of the movie"

okay... a bit extreme no? i mean... your money!

message 25: by Jeni (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jeni I tend to view the movies made from books as separate entities from those books. Consider them a truncated, visual teaser to a book, if you will, but I have yet to see any books truly successfully transferred to screen.

I liked the movie just fine for what it was. The book was better, of course, and there are always changes from page to film. The overall question for me is, did seeing the film cause people to pick up a book and read? If the answer is yes, than I am happy.

Samantha The Escapist Jeni wrote: "I tend to view the movies made from books as separate entities from those books. Consider them a truncated, visual teaser to a book, if you will, but I have yet to see any books truly successfully..."

+1000 to your points. I agree whole-heartedly. I despise seeing people whine about how a movie ruins a book. The film doesn't change anything about the pages of the book. Another complaint I hate to see is people saying they can't picture the characters properly anymore. That is utter rubbish as far as I'm concerned and if it happened to someone it's their own fault.

My criticism for books-turned-movies is always how well the story stands on its own for someone who has not read the books and sadly, many of the Harry Potter movies are guilty of presuming knowledge on the viewer's part.

Eragon as a movie is poorly made in my opinion but at least it tells its own shakey version of the story comprehensibly.

Asura I haven't watched the movie but I've read the book. The book was kind of boring and I found it hard to get into( sorry fans!) and from the preview of the movie it doesn't really seem too good. The graphics were kind of primitive and the actors didn't fit the book descriptions. Again, no offense to Paolini fans.

Sarah yup

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Anyone who's both read the book and has a brain larger than a walnut would want a remake of that god-awful movie

Shona I watched the movie again yesterday after reading the book for the first time and i remember the movie (being as i watched it a while ago) being quite good, although after i read, and enjoyed, the book i found the movie a disappointment after :(

Gregory Sampson I enjoyed the book, despite it's debt to LOTR, Star Wars especially, and other fantasy/SciFi genre. Paolini was only a teen himself when he began spinning his story. He found unique elements for us to overlook the rest. My favorite is that Dragons are intelligent creatures who are the equal of humans. Eragon/Saphira was to be a true partnership. She never did anything out of deference to a human. She argued, and sometimes gave in not because she was not human, but out of love for her rider.

The movie was OK. Two problems: the dialogue got pretentious in parts ("Look to the sky, to win or to die" UGH), and then it messed up key plot elements so a sequel would have been to difficult to film--Murtagh at the end, for example.

Sophie I was majorly disappointed by the movie. The characters were all wrong, their motivations changed and the plot was just simply different to the book. I had to try really, really hard to enjoy it and even then I didn't like it very much. :(

Jordan Pike Samantha wrote: "Honestly, I preferred the movie. I found the book to be kind of boring and poorly written, and the story wasn't anything special. The movie wasn't exactly great, especially since they made Eragon o..."

That's the most disgusting thing I've read all day.

message 34: by Chris (new) - rated it 1 star

Chris Nielsen That's the most disgusting thing I've read all day

And that's the most bizarre thing I've read all day. I read her comment that you replied to and can't for the life of me work out what you are on about

Sydney I so agree! Not only was the acting bad, but they ripped up the plot and left out so many details that make the books so good. Pitiful.

Jordan Pike Chris wrote: "That's the most disgusting thing I've read all day

And that's the most bizarre thing I've read all day. I read her comment that you replied to and can't for the life of me work out what you are o..."

I'm on about how horrible that movie was and how anyone could manage to prefer it over the books. I'm not saying the book is a masterpiece, but that movie was rotten.

message 37: by ~Cassie~ (last edited Dec 26, 2012 12:29PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

~Cassie~ Jordan wrote: "Chris wrote: "That's the most disgusting thing I've read all day

And that's the most bizarre thing I've read all day. I read her comment that you replied to and can't for the life of me work out ..."

I happened to watch the movie before reading the book and without my knowledge of the words on the pages of the book, I thought the movie was great. It was a great story (farmer-boy turned hero) and had enough action to captivate many viewers, while not being gory enough to turn away many people.
After reading the book, I do agree that the movie did a wretched job of portraying some of the aspects in the book (Pretty much the first half of the book.). The point you seem to be missing, Jordan, is that it was a good movie, it just didn't stick to the exact storyline of the book.

Alexis I think the better question would have been . . . who doesn't think the Eragon movie sucks when compared with the books.

Jordan Pike Cassie wrote: "Jordan wrote: "Chris wrote: "That's the most disgusting thing I've read all day

And that's the most bizarre thing I've read all day. I read her comment that you replied to and can't for the life ..."

I'm not missing any point. The movie was horrible any way you look at it. Rotten tomatoes can back me up: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/eragon/

message 40: by ~Cassie~ (last edited Dec 26, 2012 01:20PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

~Cassie~ Jordan wrote: "Cassie wrote: "Jordan wrote: "Chris wrote: "That's the most disgusting thing I've read all day

And that's the most bizarre thing I've read all day. I read her comment that you replied to and can'..."

Alas, I haven't a source to back me up. Just my own opinions and beliefs. And the review you used bashed the writer and book for giving the movie its story.

Samantha The Escapist Cassie I don't think it's fair for anyone to tell you a movie sucks whether you like it or not, but it's equally unfair for you to try to tell someone else the movie was good even though they didn't like it. It's all subjective and I thought the movie - completely aside from its role as an adaptation - was terribly written, acted, directed...even choreographed in fights. By all counts I consider it to be a piss-poor job of a movie but I won't begrudge anyone else their opinion.

Donna-lee Faure Enjoyed the books and the movie. Disappointed that the movie wasn't good enough to make the sequals.

message 43: by Josie (new) - added it

Josie I watched the movie when I was a bit younger and decided the book had to be better than the movie, so after watching it I had always wanted to read the series. When I did my perspective changed and now I see the movie as a disgrace to the book. Then I stop and think could I have done a better job? Probably not. But they could have. Some characters were amazing and others were so awful I'm ashamed to have seen it but as everyone is saying (which is totally true) movies will never be as good as their books. It sucks for all of us book people, so maybe we should stop getting our hopes up when they make a movie which is based on our favourite book?

message 44: by Leah (new)

Leah I. KNOW. RIGHT.

So I was looking for the movie of Eragon (because I loved the books so much) and I see this movie poster for it.

And I'm like, umm, this is so totally wrong.

Here are some problems with the movie:

1. It was animated. Ok, I know this isn't really a problem, but how many of us pictured the Eragon movie to be in CGI? Not me.

2. Instead of Eragon being normal, they made him a stupid Viking. WTHeck?

3. Eragon's name was changed to Hiccup. Seriously? Seriously. What kind of name is that? I know Eragon isn't too normal either but Hiccup???

4. The dragon wasn't right at all. It was black and had no teeth. WHY???

5. The random village Viking idiots. WHY???

6. And finally... they named the movie How To Train Your Dragon. WTHeck????????

Jordan Pike Leah wrote: "I. KNOW. RIGHT.

So I was looking for the movie of Eragon (because I loved the books so much) and I see this movie poster for it.

Here are some probl..."

I hate you.

message 46: by Leah (new)

Leah Jordan wrote: "Leah wrote: "I. KNOW. RIGHT.

Here a..."

thx =))))

Samantha The Escapist The list is funnier without #6 ;)

message 48: by Jane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jane they changed EVERYTHING in the movie! It was horrible! Worst movie EVER! The books are awesome, the movie, not so much...

Keenan Books definitely

Mockingjay4421ncis Well, then are you guys saying I shouldn't see the movie? Because I was going to but I figured it wouldn't be good though...

« previous 1 3 4 5 6