SOS: Serious Overload of Series discussion

Obsidian (Lux, #1)
This topic is about Obsidian
Archive: 2012 Buddy Reads > October Buddy Read - Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments Christine and I will be reading this title on the week starting 28th October. Feel free to join us!

message 2: by Christine (last edited Sep 17, 2012 05:59AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Christine | 850 comments Thanks for setting up the thread!

message 3: by Breann (new)

Breann I think I might join you ladies! This one looks good and aliens will be a new supe for me.

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments Haha I'm loving aliens too, so hilarious.

message 5: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new) - rated it 4 stars

Judithe | 6408 comments I've heard about this series...looking forward to seeing what you think of it (then getting to it someday...probably! LOL)

message 6: by Breann (new)

Breann Sexy alien living next door? I'm intrigued.

message 7: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new) - rated it 4 stars

Judithe | 6408 comments Maybe one will move into my neighborhood....

message 8: by Breann (last edited Sep 19, 2012 05:50AM) (new)

Breann Lol. One can only dream Judithe.

Christine | 850 comments I'm planning to start this one tomorrow. With the the approaching hurricane, I don't know if I'll have power or Internet service to comment.

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments Oh no! Stay safe during the hurricane!

I'll start it after my current book (probably later in the week)

Christine | 850 comments We're in Maryland, about 30 miles west of Baltimore. Hopefully, the worse we will suffer are power outages. *fingers crossed*

I'm about sixty pages in to the book so far. There is something about the story that is sucking me in, even though I'm slightly annoyed at the stereotypical hottie, bad boy next for who is a real jerk to the main character. But of course she can't stop drooling over him. But I am quite curious to find out what his real issue is with her.

Christine | 850 comments I'm up to page 131. And I quote: "I was done being pushover Katy."

I hope so. This girl has taken all kinds of abuse and bizarre treatment and has never demanded an explanation for any of it. What's with that? I hope this is a sign she's finally going to push for some answers. Quite frankly, I'm intrigued and want to know myself.

Christine | 850 comments I finished it yesterday. I really enjoyed it. I had a few minor issues that kept it from five-star material, but I have high hopes for the next one. I really felt the chemistry between these two characters, at least when Daemon wasn't being a jerk I felt it.

Curious to see what others think.

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments Christine wrote: "We're in Maryland, about 30 miles west of Baltimore. Hopefully, the worse we will suffer are power outages. *fingers crossed*

I'm about sixty pages in to the book so far. There is something about..."

I've just started it too and about 9% in or so. Totally getting what you mean about the drop dead gorgeous boy who is a real jerk. We'll see how it goes...

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments So I'm 34% of the way through and this doesn't seem to be grabbing me so far. Too much stereotypical YA stuff about some drop dead gorgeous guy and swooning over him. Maybe I'm not in the mood for YA after coming off some fantastic UF series like Downside Ghosts and Weather Warden. It just seems too teeny bopperish for some reason.

Also I want them to get to the point already! They are aliens, we know!

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments Ah, that's why. It feels like I'm reading Twilight all over again! The slow buildup, the instant attraction, hot guy who is repelled by you. Yep, heard it all before.

Christine | 850 comments Oh please, this is better than Twilight, don't you think? At least Katy has a bit more self awareness and is tougher than Bella. I really, really didn't like Bella, but that's a whole other discussion thread.

So many people loved this book, and I really did enjoy it, but I just couldn't love it because of the stereotypical YA aspects of it. I will say though, that when Daemon wasn't being a jerk to her, and they were having some of their more honest moments with one another, I thought the author did a great job of conveying their chemistry. And another thing I really liked about it is that Katy makes the point to others and herself that so what if he's hot and she is attracted to him? That's not enough when they don't even like each other. What do you know? Some people are able to overcome their hormones and face reality. That may be the biggest thing that saved this book for me.

Christine | 850 comments But I am still a little confused about who in the town knows what. There are the people that look at Daemon and Dee like there is something wrong with them, but then there are the people that look at Katy like something is wrong with her. We find out why that is eventually, but I'm still not clear on just how much of this town is made up of aliens and just what the human townsfolk think of them. Do some of the human just suspect something is up, or do some of them know?

And once we find out about the aliens I have a hard time buying that (view spoiler)

Josie | 1967 comments I agree it was better written than Twilight... but it was still way too much like Twilight for me to enjoy! I haven't read Twilight for years but when I was reading Obsidian, all I kept thinking about was, oh that's very similar.

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments Yeah it is definitely written better than Twilight, Katy is a much stronger character and Daemon...doesn't sparkle but all the aspects are there. It's so incredibly similar in what happens and the setup. From Katy being the new girl in a small town, to meeting a bubbly sister of a hot guy, who she has instant attraction to from the get go but who appears a jerk and repelled by her....yep.

I know the Twilight comparisons are done to death but just the plot so far is very similar.

Christine | 850 comments So it's like Twilight With Aliens? New marketing ploy for the series: if you liked Twilight, you'll love Lux! I guess, in a way, Daemon kind of does sparkle when he's in his true form. Granted it's more of a glowing bright light than a sparkle. See, even Daemon's glow is brighter and more intense than Edward's sparkle. Over all, I find these characters to be more likeable and believable to me than Twilight. And I guess I've blocked so much of Twilight from my mind that I didn't pick up in the simarities beyond the generic YA cliches.

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments Hehehe you just made me giggle Christine lol! Yeah, pretty much Twilight with Aliens. And that marketing ploy was exactly what I was thinking in my head.

When Daemon first glowed, they were making fun saying "at least you're not sparkling" lol!

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments Ugh I'm sorry, but once I saw Twilight now I can't unsee it.

Dee - Alice
Biology Teacher - Carlisle
Ash - Rachel
Adam - Emmett
Daemon - Edward

Baruck - random alien dude who escaped the first encounter and is now chasing after Katy - Victoria

Mind boggling!

Christine | 850 comments Uh oh! Sounds like this may be a lost cause for you. You're right that once you notice something like that there is no going back. I am, however, impressed that you remember all of those character names from Twilight.

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments Lol yeah it wasn't that long ago that I read it, maybe 3 -4 years ago? I guess I was really into it but not anymore for obvious reasons (fangirling = no)

Don't get me wrong, I am enjoying it but yeah.

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments I just finished it and uploaded my review here: http://wp.me/p2Arb7-3P

Josie | 1967 comments Loved your review, Jeann! It was completely what I'd thought of the book as well, I just couldn't rate an almost exact copy of Twilight high, you know?
Plus, the scene at the pool reminded me of the meadow scene and the whole cooking and cleaning, basically looking after herself was just too much for me.
Would you read the second book or is that it for this series?

message 28: by Jeann (Happy Indulgence) (last edited Nov 04, 2012 03:50AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments Thanks Josie, that's what I felt too, I couldn't exactly give it a high rating for being better but almost the same as Twilight! I feel like we're in the minority though, everyone seems to love it. It's definitely spicier than Twilight.

Ugh, I just read the excerpt for the 2nd one and I don't know if I want to go there.

Something worse than the Arum has come to town…
The Department of Defense are here. (The Volturi anyone??!!)

And there's this new boy in school who’s got a secret of his own (JACOB)

I have to lie to Daemon and stay away from him (Because she's bad for him and he's just going to get her into trouble and vice versa)

A quote from the book -

"Stop distracting me, Kitten. Back to my bet- by New Year's Day, you'll have admitted that you're madly, deeply, irrevocably, and irresistibly in love with me."

Exactly the word Bella Swan used when describing her feelings for Edward.....

How about you Josie?

Josie | 1967 comments No, I don't think I can. Maybe I could try it if it were going in a completely different direction but I've read Twilight - I don't need to read it again!
Yeah, I'm surprised by how much people like it, I'm ususally the same as the masses but obviously not this time. For me, there's plenty of other (original!) books that I want to read first so I'm afraid this is on my abandoned list. Never say never but I doubt that I'll carry on. Going to try it?

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments Yeah, I think I'm with you there. I might give it a skip because me reading onto the sequel to a book that I had problems with the first time around never bodes well for me. I'd probably just end up being frustrated.

I read somewhere that JLA's Half-Blood (Covenant, #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout series borrows heavily from Vampire Academy too, so I think I'll shift to my maybe-reads shelf too. I'm just not comfortable with it you know?

Josie | 1967 comments No I'm not comfortable with it either. She's a good writer but she must not be very creative/imaginative.
I'm probably going to take her books off my to-read list since I heard that about Covenant as well and I think that one is worse (which must be pretty bad).

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments Yeah, I'll probably take them off my to-read list too.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Half-Blood (other topics)