Goodreads Feedback discussion

Official iOS and Android Apps > No Notifications on iPhone app

Comments (showing 1-10 of 10) (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tima (new)

Tima (tsunanisaurus) | 180 comments I've seen this topic come up many times in several threads but haven't found [to the best of my knowledge] any response from GR staff about it.

The iPhone app is, without question, a gorgeous app. I love the interface, the coloring, the style, the set-up..I like just about everything about it much better than the Android counterpart.

Except, there are no notifications. Why is that? On the Android app, I can log in and see my notification counter and choose to read them from there. On the iPhone, nothing even similar appears to be available. Barring having to use Safari to log-in via the regular full site and bypass the app all together.

Are there plans to update the app to include notifications?

I've also noticed that if I try to view comments on lists, I can't. I can see the list of books but I cannot see the comments left in them. I don't know if that one is just a bug or not though.

If this these questions have already been addressed and someone has the link to the thread, please be encouraged to post it here so I may put on my dunce cap and wallow accordingly. Thanks!

message 2: by Jenna (new)

Jenna Tiffani wrote: "I've seen this topic come up many times in several threads but haven't found [to the best of my knowledge] any response from GR staff about it.

The iPhone app is, without question, a gorgeous app...."

The Android notifications aren't perfect though - with discussion threads, it takes you to the beginning rather than the new comment it's notifying you about. If you want to read through it you have to scroll through the (sometimes thousands of) preceding comments. It's really frustrating. I would like to see this improved.

message 3: by Tima (new)

Tima (tsunanisaurus) | 180 comments Yes, I know they aren't perfect on the Android, but I liked that they existed at all. It made using the app when traveling, practical and at least marginally useful. Hopefully, they have plans to improve the Android notifications and introduce them on iPhone OS. *crosses fingers*

message 4: by Fayley (new)

Fayley Notifications on the iPhone app would be great, but even more I would like to be able to view all groups, not just the "featured" groups .

message 5: by Tima (new)

Tima (tsunanisaurus) | 180 comments Fayley wrote: "Notifications on the iPhone app would be great, but even more I would like to be able to view all groups, not just the "featured" groups ."

That would be nice, also. Though for me, notifications are more important than groups (for my use of the site anyways) as they are the central hub for all things that go on for me. And, it would be quick and easy to access groups I was in if I could just follow the topic link from my notifications.

message 6: by Kara (new)

Kara | 1580 comments Mod
Tiffani wrote: "Fayley wrote: "Notifications on the iPhone app would be great, but even more I would like to be able to view all groups, not just the "featured" groups ."

That would be nice, also. Though for me, ..."

It's definitely on our to-do list!

message 7: by Robert, Android Developer (new)

Robert (lathanh) | 25 comments Mod
Belle wrote: "with discussion threads, it takes you to the beginning rather than the new comment it's notifying you about. If you want to read through it you have to scroll through the (sometimes thousands of) preceding comments."

Belle,

For long discussion threads, tap your Android's menu button/icon and then choose "Newest comments first"!

message 8: by Ettore (new)

Ettore Pasquini | 184 comments Hey guys, check out the new update (v2.1) of the iOS app, released today: it features notifications AND push norifications!

message 9: by Julie (new)

Julie (readerjules) | 465 comments Yay! I downloaded it earlier.

message 10: by Tomerobber (new)

Tomerobber | 26 comments I'm having a problem with v.2.1 iOS app for my 2 3rd gen. iPads . . . one has iOS 5 installed and the other has iOS 6 installed. The notification button activates with a list of latest messages . . . but when I tap on the message the link changes color then crashes.

My iTouch 4th gen. with iOS 6 doesn't have this problem . . . v. 2.1 works fine.