Vegan Cooking & Cookbooks discussion

Let Them Eat Vegan!: 200 Deliciously Satisfying Plant-Powered Recipes for the Whole Family
This topic is about Let Them Eat Vegan!
Vegan Cookbooks > Let Them Eat Vegan! By Dreena Burton

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Monica Award-Winning Frosted B-raw-nies

These brownies are very, very tasty and you only need a small bite so you get about 16 brownie bites. This is an expensive recipe with the various nuts and coconut butter. It's very easy to make the brownies - just throw everything in a food processor and then press the mixture into a pan. The frosting was a little weirder because it calls for coconut butter (not coconut oil). I have never used this before and was not sure what the consistency was supposed to be. I had to scrape the coconut butter from the jar. The recipe says to use a mini-food processor, or, if you don't have one, to use a bowl and mix by hand. I mixed it by hand and was left with little chunks of the coconut butter. She has a photo of these brownies in the cookbook and the frosting looks nice and smooth. Mine looks kind of chunky. I took some photos, which I hope to eventually link up to this. Despite looking weird, they turned out well and very delicious.

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Thanks, Monica, for sharing your cooking experiences in this and other threads. It's very helpful for all our members.

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Thanks, Monica. I LOVE photos.

message 5: by Emily (new)

Emily | 15 comments I've been following this group for a while but haven't had time to contribute until now. I made the Thai Chickpea Almond Curry from this book last night (and had the leftovers tonight). It was easy and came out great. It's the first curry I can recall making that is baked. I'm a big fan of baked entrees, since I can put it together whenever I have time and bake it later. Also, the baking resulted in a thicker sauce, which I like. I used red bell peppers and cauliflower in place of the zucchini. I served it over brown rice, with some steamed kale on the side.

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Emily, Thanks for posting. And I officially welcome you to the group.

I like thicker sauces too and this recipe sounds delicious.

message 7: by Emily (new)

Emily | 15 comments Mac-oh-geez

I've made a lot of vegan mac-and-cheese recipes, and this is one of the best I've tried -- very creamy, and I like the fact that it doesn't use tofu or nutritional yeast. Even my picky 2-year-old -- who rarely tries anything I make -- ate a whole serving. I used macadamia nuts in place of the Brazil nuts/almonds, and made fresh bread crumbs for the topping.

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Great feedback, Emily, and using macadamia nuts sounds delicious.

message 9: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Don, It looks nice and thick too.

Tracy (tracyvoels) I just bought this book and have only made the Gingery cookies so far (with chocolates chips!), but they were excellent. I tend to leave cookies in the oven a little longer than recipes call for because I like my cookies crisp, but for my oven she had the time perfect so the cookies were a little too hard after a day. However, 15 to 20 seconds in the micro and they were excellent! I made her festive Artichoke dip, from her blog, and LOVED it! Also made her chickpea tart, again from her blog, but no one loved it - although her cranberry dressing was amazing.

Tracy (tracyvoels) I made the Raw Chai Bars from LTEV. It was my first time using Medjool Dates and an actual vanilla bean. I liked them as an alternative "not too sweet" dessert/snack, but they would probably be better with the cream cheese frosting! Nice spices. The bars freeze well.
The author has posted this recipe here: http://plantpoweredkitchen.com/recipe...

photo rawchaibars_zpsed07d4d0.jpg

message 12: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Tracy, They look and sound delicious. I love Medjool dates. I eat them plain for snacks.

message 13: by Vic (new)

Vic | 4 comments Potato, Shallot and Pepper Frittata: Oh. No. No, no, no, no, no. Inedible for all in my household except for me, who could eat it but most certainly did not enjoy it... it was bland and overwhelmingly "tofu-y", and that is saying something coming from someone who loves tofu in all it's forms! For the amount of effort and kitchen mess involved in this recipe, I really had high hopes, but a tofu scramble using potatoes, shallots and peppers would have been much more tasty and much less of an ordeal for all.

message 14: by Vic (new)

Vic | 4 comments I will definitely be doing the same; I have never, ever, had a successful one!

message 15: by Susan (new)

Susan Laverty | 51 comments I made Richa Hingle's chickpea omelette and thought it was pretty tasty. The quiches I've tried have been just ok.